The law and running a studio

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The law and running a studio

Post by twistedtom »

Right now I have a small , almost 300 sq ft room to record in. I will be moving to a very large 7 bed room home in the country. I will be a long way from any other house as it is on 21 acres. One of the rooms is close to 1000 sq ft. and would make a fine studio, It has an ajecent room that could be a control room. Dose any one know what I would have to do to set up a recording studio retreat?
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
johnnytucats
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: The law and running a studio

Post by johnnytucats »

Sounds like you'll be away from any city zoning laws to prevent you from running a "walk-in" business, but check all those including county and state.
SMP2005

Post by SMP2005 »

Twisted -

Do you mean the acoustic aspect & design of your room ? Or are you speaking about the zoning issues alone?

Shawn
Mac Pro Quad Core, 2.93GHz, OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.2, Digital Performer 7.02, Gigastudios, MTP-AVs, MOTU 208mk3, Kirk Hunter, Jeff Sigurdson Guitars, Universal Audio, Spectrasonics, Sonic Implants, Bogner, Deering Banjos, G-String Ukeleles, Ultra Focus, Mach 5, VSL, Native Instruments, Rode Mics, Sibelius 5, Waves, Line 6, Tom Anderson Guitarworks, Wave Arts, Universal Audio, Mackie HR 824's
SMP2005

Post by SMP2005 »

Hmmmm

I just noticed your title... "the law".... so, yeah... you mean zoning, obviously.

Disregard my babbling!

S
Mac Pro Quad Core, 2.93GHz, OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.2, Digital Performer 7.02, Gigastudios, MTP-AVs, MOTU 208mk3, Kirk Hunter, Jeff Sigurdson Guitars, Universal Audio, Spectrasonics, Sonic Implants, Bogner, Deering Banjos, G-String Ukeleles, Ultra Focus, Mach 5, VSL, Native Instruments, Rode Mics, Sibelius 5, Waves, Line 6, Tom Anderson Guitarworks, Wave Arts, Universal Audio, Mackie HR 824's
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Yes also what some of you may have gone through to get zoned for a recording operation. What are the hurdels and pit falls you've encounted.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
KungFuLio

Post by KungFuLio »

Multnomah, Clackamas, or Washington county??
m2

Post by m2 »

21 acres?!!! 7 Bedrooms?!?!! I don't think the neigbors are gonna be close enough to turn you in! Unless your clients are coming in 500 at a time or landing a jet in the yard.

Hell,if you can afford the place , you can afford to pay off some local concilman to give you a zoning variance! Now let's talk about you adopting some us!

sorry. . .had to have some fun. . .
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
Releaux

Post by Releaux »

There are frequently rules that apply differently to a "drive up" business where you have customers coming to your site. The one that jumps to mind is parking. Many municipalities/counties require so many parking spaces per square foot, and the ADA requires that a certain percentage be designated handicapped, etc.

You might also run into accessibility regulations required by the ADA (wheelchair ramps, etc.). The chamber of commerce for your area can probably give you a quick rundown of the most important regs you'll have to meet.

Also, you mentioned "retreat." You should contact a business attorney if you're thinking about having a place where artists stay in the house while recording. You might run into the various laws that apply to hotels or bed and breakfasts. An attorney can help you determine if these apply to you, or might be able to suggest a different classification or legal structure that would minimize all of that.

Being "in the country," however, might also get you a waiver for various things.

<small>[ March 03, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Ray Toler ]</small>
--
DP 11.3. |. MOTU 24Ai x2, Behringer ADA8200 x3, MOTU MTP-AV USB x2, MOTU MTP-AV x2.
Too much software, too much hardware, not enough time.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20/48 Core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 13.6.4 Ventura)
Mac Pro 5,1 (3.46GHz 12-core, 64GB Ram, MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave)
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Kungfulio I will be in Clack a my ass county. Ray thanks that is helpful.
KungFuLio

Post by KungFuLio »

OK, ADA seems to be less of an issue than Multnomah also the permitting process will be easier.

You could be going into a good endevor but expensive. A boutique studio would be good to have in this area. Have you seen Big Red in Corbett? Is that sort of the model for you except with lodging available to clients? Have you thought of staffing issues? Dealing with payroll? Atracting top notch assistants to help with out of town engineers is essential. They gotta do outstanding documetation or you will get a lame reputation and those high dollar clients will spread the word and not return. Another business model could be Sage Arts just outside of Seattle. There are also a few Studio/lodging facilities that are very nice in Marin County in CA.

Beware of the saying, the way to make a small fortune in the recording business is to start with a large one.

All that said, I wish you luck and keep me apprised. It'd be great to see another good facility in the area.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Yes the logistics are a bit much. I will have to think hard on this.