Label Submissions Via Pay attorneys

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Label Submissions Via Pay attorneys

Post by Timeline »

Has anyone found a fee charging legal service that really got your music reviewed properly by someone at a label who matters?

Do any of the so called, "known" reps take unsolicited material?

Has anyone been successful this way?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
singtou

Re: Label Submissions Via Pay attorneys

Post by singtou »

sure it works but the music attorneys are just as crooked and scared as the A n R...what you got to do is make your music so appealing to them...both sides...that they come looking for you...but solicit to some music att and see what they say..if they feel like it will run...and all the package is complete..they might just take up the gauntlet...run it up the flag pole...who knows?..never hurts to try...in LA..there are a lot of music att...just submit maybe to Mannat and Phelps...or Fred Goldring... there's sooooo many man...anywayz good luck.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz, 9 gigs RAM DP 5.11 BFD 2 with Andy Johns expansion library, Stylus RmX, IK multimedia AMPEG SVT. Amplitube 2, Waves Platinum Bundle, SSL bundle, Peak Pro, Sound Toys, Neve 1073's, LA-2A's, Motu HD, Apogee Big Ben, Mach 5, Strobe Plus
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Good info.. Thanks...

Gary
Timeline
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Pound

Post by Pound »

I would agree with Aggroacoustic. If an attorney likes your music in the first place, they will shop it for you and get money off the deal. They might charge you a fee the first time you meet with them, but that's it. If they think it's good, they'll shop it cuase they know they'll get a chunk when you sign a deal. At least that's the experiences I've seen from other people. Problem is, you have to watch them though. If they are tied in to any label, which they most likely will be if their shopping your stuff to them, can they keep you in their best interests. Probably not. A good attorney is a ruthless shark, which you need, if you ever have to go to court. However, you have to watch them yourself. I'm not saying their all bad or anything, just saying be carefull. Alot of people in the music business are real shady. It's the nature of the beats I guess in the business world. Cuase at the end of the day, it's business.
Macbook Pro
OS X 10.4.11
DP 5.12
Motu Ultralite
DannyCrucial

Post by DannyCrucial »

I've been in several bands that worked with labels and have tried many things to get the right people to hear my band's music.
The only rule I've found is thus:
Find someone in the business that likes your music and work with them.

This may be a label, a zine, a distributor or anyone in the industry. 2 people doing promotion for your music is twice as effective as 1.
From there, slowly climb the music ladder and work with small labels. Eventually, if your music has mass appeal and is sellable, a major will find you.
If you try to skip rungs on the ladder, you'll just fall that much quicker.

Best of Luck,
Danny