A question about money

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
FRIAS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A question about money

Post by FRIAS »

Hello,

I'm a pianist and composer of my own group and I need to know what's the % of money I must to pay each musician. Of course I am the leader and I think that I must win much money than the others but, ¿What is the correct % for each musician for example in a trío or quartet group?

Thank you.
studiodog
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: A question about money

Post by studiodog »

Hello FRIAS,
The universal pay scale for band musicians is as follows...

Each member should be paid 125% of all income.

Any money left over can be spent on beer and/or strippers.

If after the beer and strippers you should find yourself with money left over, put that towards buying better beer and better strippers next time.

A penny saved is a penny you didn't spend... WOO HOO !!!
willpowrd

Post by willpowrd »

Originally posted by FRIAS:
Hello,

I'm a pianist and composer of my own group and I need to know what's the % of money I must to pay each musician. Of course I am the leader and I think that I must win much money than the others but, ¿What is the correct % for each musician for example in a trío or quartet group?

Thank you.
I don't know what the current scale is, but it used to be that the bandleader was paid 1.5 - 2 times sideman scale for a live engagement. Union or non-union, it depends on what kind of agreement you have with your players. If they're good and you want to keep them, you'd probably want to pay them well.

Other things also have to be considered: who pays for the PA, travel, promotional materials, keeping the books, booking the act, etc. How are those expenses handled?
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

You should talk it over with the group.Who owns what equipment and who dose the promo work are things to be considered. Don't piss off the bass player he will go else where. :cool:
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
dougieb

Post by dougieb »

Just make sure you have the tax issue handled correctly.

If you have a steady gig, it might be worth having ADP or someone like that do your payroll processing. They can issue W2's or 1099's or whatever your situation requires.

You should also get incorporated to limit your liability if someone under your employ does something stupid or a PA cabinet falls on someone's head - no use losing your savings, house, car, boat, equipment, etc. If you set up a Wyoming or Nevada corporation, those are both State tax free, but Nevada has additional liability protection options. Delaware has a franchise tax on shares and probably not the best option.

I can't stress the tax issue enough though. I've seen two bandleaders/friends lose their homes over employment taxes/1099 issues they didn't know existed until they got a letter in the mail.

If you have more specific questions on any of this, feel free to write.

- doug
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello:
I was a long time band leader. We divided it up like this:
Promotion, travel & recording expenses off the top.
What was left was divided evenly thus:
1. PA (a cut to whom ever owned it)
2. Sound man (when using one)
3. Band members

Sidemen were hired at $50.00/night if needed for larger venues/gigs. Less if I could swing it.

Under aged roadies were free but you had to keep an eye on your gear.

If the sound guy owned the PA he grossed more money than the band members but in the long run, he never netted more. Unless you figure it hourly with performance, set up & practice.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness