cpu maxed out

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

dang47
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

cpu maxed out

Post by dang47 »

i downloaded the demo and cant get passed 3 instances before the cpu maxes out. ive tried many different buffer settings and the usual cpu conserving techniques and thats without any audio tracs or effects. i cant do anything with that!! is this just because im using the demo?

G4 daul 1.5 ram performer 4.52 OSX 10.3.9
stretta

Re: cpu maxed out

Post by stretta »

The only difference between the demo and the authorized plug-in is the fact the demo expires in 14 days.

There are many factors that contribute to CPU usage when using MX4. Buffer settings, of course. There is a little baseline overhead when placing an MX4 in a track, but CPU usage is primarily based on how much polyphony you are using at any given time.

So, an MX4 just sitting there is not going consume much CPU power.

Within a patch, additional resources take more CPU power, enabling oscs, enabling filters, enabling stereo, enabling stereo detuning - all contribute to CPU consumption PER VOICE.

How fast is your G4?
fontane

Post by fontane »

without FX and stuff... say, a clean board with just MX on it - i can run about 4-6 instances depending on the patches, how often they play at the same time, etc...

it is a little fat on cpu i think... i would like to see it a little less, but its because there is so much internally going on to create those phat sounds...

i run it on DP 4.52 with a dual G5 1.8 and 2.5GB at 256 buffer 24bit/44.1
Shane Fontane
www.shanefontane.com

Dual 1.8 G5 | 2.5GB | OS X 10.3.9 | DP 4.52 | UAD | Mach 5 | SampleTank 2 | Kontakt 2 | MX4 | Recycle | MAudio Firewire Audiophile | Undying Passion For Music
dang47

Post by dang47 »

my g4 is a dual 1.43.... i am F.O.H. at a performing art center in detroit and i plan on doing live stuff.... its looking like one would need a rack of g4s or 5s to pull major live stuff off..well with some ideas that i have swimming in my head that is..... i was using some heavy ambient patches that were soooo thick that no doubt sucked the life out of the cpu... as i get more furmilar with the program i see how it can be trimmed up to conserve.........i was hitting some heavy lows that pushed the theaters subs so hard that it was like a startrek episode, flying thru some kind of warp, i was blown back from the mixing board and had to fight the 40 hertz waves to get to the faders to pull it back!!! im buying it anyway ITS LUSHES!

thanks
fontane

Post by fontane »

Originally posted by dang47:
my g4 is a dual 1.43.... i am F.O.H. at a performing art center in detroit and i plan on doing live stuff.... its looking like one would need a rack of g4s or 5s to pull major live stuff off..well with some ideas that i have swimming in my head that is..... i was using some heavy ambient patches that were soooo thick that no doubt sucked the life out of the cpu... as i get more furmilar with the program i see how it can be trimmed up to conserve.........i was hitting some heavy lows that pushed the theaters subs so hard that it was like a startrek episode, flying thru some kind of warp, i was blown back from the mixing board and had to fight the 40 hertz waves to get to the faders to pull it back!!! im buying it anyway ITS LUSHES!

thanks
hee hee... yeah dude... its def worth it... i think they did an amazing job on this piece... and i still haven't tried running external sources through it yet :)

whoa... can't wait to hear vocals and percussive sounds modulated, filtered, mashed, etc

its gonna be nuts

glad to see that you FELT the power of the thickness... i can't believe how lush the sounds are either... it truely is amazing... like i said, best $280 i ever spent!
Shane Fontane
www.shanefontane.com

Dual 1.8 G5 | 2.5GB | OS X 10.3.9 | DP 4.52 | UAD | Mach 5 | SampleTank 2 | Kontakt 2 | MX4 | Recycle | MAudio Firewire Audiophile | Undying Passion For Music