iTunes removes DRM???

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iTunes removes DRM???

Post by SixStringGeek »

Well here's one little indie label's response.

http://www.alphabasic.com/Please_read.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

For me, I have about given up trying to make money on songs. I haven't put anything out there except a BP protest tune is 3 years. I guess now that I have tons of finished stuff I might as well just see what happens. I just hope some inspiring film music director in some obscure office adds a few of my songs cause that's all we got left I'm thinkin. DRM? Oh well, a nice idea never really implemented correctly. bye bye. Think the Beatles agreed to a non DRM release? bring on the :arrrr:
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

But even when we had DRM, it could be easily circumvented. All you needed was (is) an external digital mixer... I know, it was at least one layer of protection, but nothing that a determined thief could defeat.

And I have yet to see a system of intellectual property protection where honest users are not the ones affected. I think this has been the problem: thieves and parasites are never directly attacked without making it worse for legit consumers.
I really hope one day (sooner rather than later) someone really smart comes up with a way to avoid this, while attacking piracy effectively.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

iTunes removes DRM???

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:.But even when we had DRM, it could be easily circumvented. All you needed was (is) an external digital mixer... I know, it was at least one layer of protection, but nothing that a determined thief could defeat.
I also think you could burn it to a CD and then rip from that too. In either case though-- anything that dissuaded the "casual" thief to my mind was still a good thing. They say a "determined" thief can steal a car even with "The Club" on the steering wheel, but I still use mine when I park at big shopping malls, etc.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I leave my car unlocked always at my house now and i find about +11 on the honesty unit scale with people here in WI. Not like CA for sure!

Hope we ca find a new protect scheme but unlikely. Once released it's out there.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
James Steele
Site Administrator

iTunes removes DRM???

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:I leave my car unlocked always at my house now and i find about +11 on the honesty unit scale with people here in WI. Not like CA for sure!
Yeah. I could offer an explanation but politics is verboten. [Hint: Look at where San Diego is on a map and you'll see why we have lots of car thefts. You're minutes from another country.]
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

James Steele wrote: Yeah. I could offer an explanation but politics is verboten. [Hint: Look at where San Diego is on a map and you'll see why we have lots of car thefts. You're minutes from another country.]
The funny thing is that most cars that are stolen here, or at least in the northern part of this country, end up there anyway! :) They steal them here to get them sold over there, and vice versa (most likely by the same people/gang)!

And I'd NEVER left my car unlocked. You guys KNOW why (I can't discuss the details without getting into politics and pissing James off).
... I would actually put a lock on myself, if I could... :lol:

But it never ceases to amaze me how in some neighborhoods in the USA, most houses don't have fences! That's amazing, really. That would be utopia here. To be honest, I've NEVER EVER seen a house here without big fences. They look more like fortresses, actually.

Back to DRM... Personally, I regret Apple canceled it. I know it had its problems and issues, but I could live with them. I understand it punished legit users more than it did parasites, but then again, what kind of anti-piracy measure wouldn't do just that??????
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman