Movie/audio export problems

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
eyeteeth
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Movie/audio export problems

Post by eyeteeth »

New to the scoring aspect. I recently had the opportunity to score a short trailer. I can't remember ever referencing the manual THAT much.

I finished, and exported to a Quicktime movie, and opted to duplicate the video and NOT simply reference the original file. However, the only system the file will play on is my studio Mac. I can't get the file to play on anything else. I eventually had to import the movie to iMovie, and "share" from there to get it to play on any other system.

What am I missing? It seemed pretty straight forward in the manual.

Thanks.
http://www.undergroundstudios.com

---------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro, i7, 16GB Ram, DP 9.52, WaveArts, UAD Apollo MKII Quad, Presonus StudioLive 16III
sprout

Re: Movie/audio export problems

Post by sprout »

I recall on occasion having some similar issues with compatibility of exported movies from DP, when trying to play them on other systems. My hunch was that the issue had to do with the "add black" before/after movie if I had that on, but that's conjecture.

My solution was using quicktime pro to convert them to a different codec (usually h264), then they seemed to play nice with the other computers.

Good luck!
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 0SX10.6.8
UltraLite, DP7.24, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reason 4, Komplete 5, UC-33e, Oxygen49, Motif 6.
audios

Post by audios »

Yeah Sprout is right. When you export a QT movie out of DP it always references the QT used in DP and its not truly a "self-contained" QT movie file. What I do as well is just use QT Pro and export it as a "Quick Time Movie", same frame rate, make the size anything you want, audio in AAC for reference (smaller file size) and export. Now that QT movie is truly "Self-Contained" and you can ship it off anywhere there's a player.

I usually make it an MP4 compression with h.264 embedded. Works great. Decent quality.

Peace-
JR
eyeteeth

Post by eyeteeth »

Thanks guys. I did something similar. Only used iMovie as I didn't have QT Pro available.

I'm surprised it works this way and the trailer was only 1:44 and the file size was 53MB? If the Export was audio only with a reference to the original video, I would think that file size would have been much smaller.

Also... THERE's a nice feature to add to the wish list. Sure would be nice to accomplish that in ONE step. I would think that's a rather common task for those using DP for scoring.
http://www.undergroundstudios.com

---------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro, i7, 16GB Ram, DP 9.52, WaveArts, UAD Apollo MKII Quad, Presonus StudioLive 16III
audios

Post by audios »

eyeteeth wrote:Thanks guys. I did something similar. Only used iMovie as I didn't have QT Pro available.

I'm surprised it works this way and the trailer was only 1:44 and the file size was 53MB? If the Export was audio only with a reference to the original video, I would think that file size would have been much smaller.

Also... THERE's a nice feature to add to the wish list. Sure would be nice to accomplish that in ONE step. I would think that's a rather common task for those using DP for scoring.
Qucktime .DV or .MOV 's vary in size because of the codec chosen. .DV will be larger than say H.264, .MOV because its uncompressed. be careful too. if they send you an MP4 video or Sorensen compression, the sync will not be accurate. And the TC will wander over the course of a larger film (100 minutes)

QT Pro is a must and its only a $20 upgrade from the player. The included Codecs are worth that alone. Plus I always get strange formated video in my work flow package and have to convert it to either .DV or .MOV (Motion JPEG-A) Quicktime formats because that's all DP recognizes. I also sometimes need to add a window burn because they (producers) didn't include one. And it helps to run any delivered QT film through a compressor codec again to make sure you have the right TC and word clock to sync to their picture. i use Toki TC and it works great.
AudioGod

Post by AudioGod »

Perhaps interesting for everyone who doesn´t own Quicktime Pro: Try converting the movie exported by DP with the freeware program MPEG-Streamclip. It works great, fast and without any hassels.

Have fun!
M - ove
O - n
T - echnical
U - niverse