Music Libraries and Re-titling.

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
nbdanielson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Music Libraries and Re-titling.

Post by nbdanielson »

I've been spending a lot of time recently researching the plethora of non-exclusive libaries for a good fit for my band's music as well as my own. (MusicLibraryReport.com has been a nice resource!)

Does anybody out there have any experience or words of wisdom on libraries in general and/or re-titling?

I'm especially leery of those re-title libraries I've run across. The thought of allowing a company to take my song and change up the title so they can collect royalties as publisher makes me very uncomfortable...is it normal that it makes me want to crumple up into a little ball on the floor, or is this just how things are being done more and more? Basically that they need a bigger stake in their "product" to push your songs?

I did a search and ran across this article as well...interesting.
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2009/11/24/su ... hat-sting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for any input!

Nic
http://www.thekindnesskind.com

DP5.13, Kontakt 3, Absynth 3, MOTU 828MKII,
Mac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz, MacBook Pro, Nord Stage 88, Alesis Ion/Micron, Roland SP-404, Other gadgets.
mikehalloran

Re: Music Libraries and Re-titling.

Post by mikehalloran »

There are major problems with the whole concept. Other problems with the article.

One of the problems is that the 1976 law was supposed to do away with many of the abuses that the re-titlers want to put back in.

I am not an attorney and I cannot interpret a law for you - even one that I worked on.

Someone is going to get burned and sue - big time. When that happens, a lot of this crap is going to be straightened out. Maybe that creative commons nonsense will also be exposed for the sham that it is. Until then, I would deal with legit libraries and businesses that allow you to control your material - this is your right, by the way.

The above is my own opinion and none other - especially anyone whom I may work for or represent.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Re-Titling is just an efficient way to keep track of who places what where. If you don't want to share your publishing, then don't do the deal. But good luck finding a publisher who doesn't want to take at least a little of the publisher's share of your publishing... :lol:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:Re-Titling is just an efficient way to keep track of who places what where. If you don't want to share your publishing, then don't do the deal. But good luck finding a publisher who doesn't want to take at least a little of the publisher's share of your publishing... :lol:

You are confusing the traditional model of music libraries with the new re-titling model.

A little research needs to be done so that you understand the issues. It ain't what you think it is.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Mike, I'm pretty familiar with library, exclusive and non-exclusive, and have music placed in both types of libraries.

Bottom line is: Do you like the terms or not? and, Make sure you register your works with your PRO under all titles!
Zuzana2010
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Zuzana2010 »

The music industry is vast and varied place. Over the years it has changed significantly a number of times. Now it is poised to change again and morph into directions most people can't even fathom. If you want to begin to conjecture on direction the music industry will be moving in the future, you should first learn from facts about music industry.

Coupons,Deal,Man Deals
Last edited by Zuzana2010 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Zuzana2010 wrote:The music industry is vast and varied place. Over the years it has changed significantly a number of times. Now it is poised to change again and morph into directions most people can't even fathom. If you want to begin to conjecture on direction the music industry will be moving in the future, you should first learn from facts about music industry.
Perhaps you could illuminate us...?