Before I download the DEMO where do I buy MX4 and how

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

motuguy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Before I download the DEMO where do I buy MX4 and how

Post by motuguy »

No doubt that question should be how much does MX4 cost and where do I buy it?

Is MX4 a MASS, VST, or AU plug-in?
QUICKSILVER G4 dual 1G process with 1.5 GB RAM
audiophile 2496 PCI card(MIDI/audio in/out)
running TIGER and PANTEHR

M-Audio USB MIDIsport 8 x 8 (MIDI interface)

8500/Sonnet G3 + USB and Firewire cards running PANTHER and OS 9
9500/Sonnet G4 + USB and Firewire cards running PANTHER and OS 9
terra
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Before I download the DEMO where do I buy MX4 and how

Post by terra »

in SamAsh...is a MAS or RTAS plug

<small>[ May 23, 2005, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: terra ]</small>
G4 1.4 Mhz/ 1.5 Gb RAM - iMac 2.1Gh 1.5 Gb RAM - 828 MKII - MTP/AV - DP3 - 2 (Two) SAMPLECELL Cards - MACKIE 32/8 Bus - JBL4333A - YAMAHA NS10M - YAMAHA ProR3 - DBX 160A - OTARI DAT - ADAT XT - VIRUS - TRINITY - Super JD 990 - MO'PHATT - POD Line 6 - BEHRINGER's DEQ2496 / MIC2200 - NEUMANN MIC's and more...
motuguy

Post by motuguy »

Do you like using MX4? Is it worth the money?

stretta

Post by stretta »

You can buy MX4 at any place MOTU products are sold. (IE: musical instrument retail stores) Any online retail outfit should also have MX4.

Heck, type "MOTU MX4" into Google and take your pick.

MX4 is MAS, RTAS as well as AU. It will work in Garage Band, Live, Logic, etc...
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Be careful if you download the demo and then decide not to buy...

I did that, and I had a file that had a couple of MX4 tracks on it, and instead of just opening up and saying that it couldn't run MX4, it hung DP (4.12) and now I can't even get that file to open.

Use the demo, but if the trial period is looming, make sure you don't have anything in your DP files that relies on it.

Cheers,
BK
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
stretta

Post by stretta »

I had a file that had a couple of MX4 tracks on it, and instead of just opening up and saying that it couldn't run MX4, it hung DP (4.12) and now I can't even get that file to open.
Well, that is not right, and I'm sure this is not happening to everyone.

What happens when you pull MX4 out of your plug-ins folder and re-launch DP? (be sure to remove all versions, AU (out of components), MAS and RTAS.
fontane

Post by fontane »

i really enjoy it... sounds big, lush, nasty, sick, boomy, etc - how ever you wish to mold the sound is depending on your flavor...

i listened to the pieces on the motu site before purchasing but it really didnt do it for me...

i later just went ahead and took a chance and just bought it hoping for the best... i was very pleased with its results... i write dance music of all kinds so its wonderful for me... i would assume it's great for sound design for film work as well...

i would buy it...
Shane Fontane
www.shanefontane.com

Dual 1.8 G5 | 2.5GB | OS X 10.3.9 | DP 4.52 | UAD | Mach 5 | SampleTank 2 | Kontakt 2 | MX4 | Recycle | MAudio Firewire Audiophile | Undying Passion For Music
fontane

Post by fontane »

also, i paid $280
Shane Fontane
www.shanefontane.com

Dual 1.8 G5 | 2.5GB | OS X 10.3.9 | DP 4.52 | UAD | Mach 5 | SampleTank 2 | Kontakt 2 | MX4 | Recycle | MAudio Firewire Audiophile | Undying Passion For Music
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

What happens when you pull MX4 out of your plug-ins folder and re-launch DP? (be sure to remove all versions, AU (out of components), MAS and RTAS.
Yeah, I did that, but that file still won't open, the MX4 is the only thing that is different on that file. oh well... I will survive, just didn't want others to get caught in the same trap, hopefully you are right and its just me!
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
motuguy

Post by motuguy »

Originally posted by BKK-OZ:
Yeah, I did that, but that file still won't open, the MX4 is the only thing that is different on that file. oh well... I will survive, just didn't want others to get caught in the same trap, hopefully you are right and its just me!
Thanks for the heads up hint.

I'll be extra carefull before I install this demo.

If it's got a ".pkg" installer ( those brown box ) then I can use Pacifist to examine the install and then I will know what parts to remove.

Panopticon

Post by Panopticon »

MX4 is only $240 at www.novamusik.com (which has been a very good source of many things for me).
Billy
suckstar.com
tringlesceo

Post by tringlesceo »

mx4 is on clearance at guitar center, its incredibly cheap. $169.99, or something, i should know, i work at one.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

tringlesceo what version?
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
Percy the Burp King

Post by Percy the Burp King »

Originally posted by tringlesceo:
mx4 is on clearance at guitar center, its incredibly cheap. $169.99, or something, i should know, i work at one.
Apparently not all GCs have it. I stopped by the one in Warwick, RI a month ago, but they said it was not in yet available (i.e. too new to be available at a blow-out price).

The examples of the MX4 at motu.com hint at it's application. It's definitely on my list for the near future.
Peace.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Is this problem still current? I took one DP project to experiment with, and quite like what MX-4 did for some of my pre-existing tracks as well as a new overdub that I added.

I was quite hoping that should I resolve the iLok issue (unacceptable inconvenience) and buy MX-4, that I could reopen that DP project and continue where I left off.

Now it appears I must annotate everything I did (if that's even still possible), delete the MX-4 tracks, and do everything over from scratch if I buy MX-4.

I had just assumed the tracks would be in relative limbo until or unless I buy the actual MX-4 license. My demo expired last night and I had not yet had time to annotate everything I did. I guess now it is too late. This makes me extremely angry, as this was not mentioned in the demo (to my knowledge), or that it would hang DP after the demo expires.

At least a demo was available; unlike Mach Five and the apparantly not-yet-released Symphonic Instrument (which I was interested in, and wish there were at least some audio demos for, but it seems maybe it is a bad buy vs. a good orchestral sample library like Garriton used in whatever sampler one buys, since it's just a fancy interface for a small subset of what Mach Five does, after reading the fine print).

I'm sort of surprised there's no package deal being offered of MX-4 plus Mach Five.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH