DP-Movie Settings

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
SuperDave
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP-Movie Settings

Post by SuperDave »

I recorded a 20-minute easter cantata at my church on Sunday using DP (8 tracks, 24 bit/96k). My sister just happend to video this on her mini-DV camera. I would like to sync the video up to the mixed audio tracks and burn in DVD format. I have already imported the DV movie into iMovie. Any suggestions on the process I should take to complete this? I'm looking for an overall process flow, then maybe some details such as settings used when exporting from iMovie and such. I have at my disposal a 1.5 Ghz Powerbook/1 GB RAM/Internal Hard Drive, and a Dual 867 Mhz Powermac/ 1.25 GB RAM/ 3 Hard disks totalling 200GB. I could also borrow the camera back if needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
David
PowerMac G4 Dual 867 Mhz/1.25 GB RAM/OS 10.3.8 | PowerBook G4 1.5 Ghz/2.0 GB RAM/OS 10.3.8 |DP4.12/MOTU 828mkII
Rob Castiglione

Re: DP-Movie Settings

Post by Rob Castiglione »

I dont know much about IMovie but in Final Cut Pro it is pretty easy (does IMoviedisplay the soundwave as a separate track?).

You can visually sync up the soundwaves on the DV sound track you imported with the sound track you recorded. Import the sound track you recorded and put it underneath the DV sound track. Zoom in to check visually.

You can then check by playing both tracks together. You will hear quite clearly when they are out of sync - you kinda hear an echo.

Once they are synced up you can throw away the DV sound track.

Rob
SuperDave

Post by SuperDave »

Thanks for the response Rob. Actually iMovie does allow you to see the soundwave as a separate track. So maybe I'm trying to make this too difficult. I should just mix down my audio in DP and create my stereo AIFF file, then import into iMovie (delete the soundtrack from the video camera) and sync the audio to the video and then on to iDVD for burning!!
The video was shot on a consumer grade video camera, so nothing spectacular, and it is in 4:3. It just so happens that the top third of the video is really not needed, so I'm thinking of cropping the video and making it 16:9. I'm not sure if I can do this in iMovie, but how about Final Cut Express???
PowerMac G4 Dual 867 Mhz/1.25 GB RAM/OS 10.3.8 | PowerBook G4 1.5 Ghz/2.0 GB RAM/OS 10.3.8 |DP4.12/MOTU 828mkII
Rob Castiglione

Post by Rob Castiglione »

I have certainly used the 16:9 mask in FCut Pro for an entire sequence for material originally shot in 4:3. To avoid doing it for each clip I simply exported the sequence as a DV stream and then reimported it. The mask then can be applied to that whole new sequence. I would be surprised if Final Cut Express did not have this function but dont know.

Regards,

Rob