DP 7.22 released

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 7.22 released

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:Here's one for you guys.. I got my new Mac Pro today. Do I install 7.21, or 7.22?

Answer: I install 7.2.1 first, then after I get that working, install 7.22. If something gets broken, I go back. If all is good, I go forward.

I mean seriously, how hard is it? :wink:
Exactly. Why do people take this so seriously? If you're working on a professional project, of course you don't want to change in the middle of it. But that still doesn't mean you can't install it.

Now, where I exercise caution is when installing drivers. I don't update drivers until I recognize that I'm getting problems associated with them and incompatibility with newer versions of OSX, DP, Logic, or other software. I often skip a level or two of drivers if things are working great. But drivers are not where your features are based. A good driver is one you never know is there. If I install a new version of DP and instantly get crashes, I'll check to see how old my drivers are. Chances are, installing the latest driver will fix everything, and that has indeed been the case occasionally in the past.

But installing a new version of DP generally can cause no harm unless it saves a file in a new format. So, ALWAYS OPEN A COPY of your file when working in a new version. Then you can go back to the old version, old copy, without any hassle at all.

Please folks! No drama! Install DP 7.22. If it works; great. If you have trouble, keep using 7.21. Cost to you: $00.00 As you get time to troubleshoot, keep trying the new version. Eventually you'll get there.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yeah, for me, a few little things have popped up but nothing that would warrant reverting to 7.21. Just because a few people have reported their particular problems that doesn't mean the program isn't ready for prime time. Take the plunge and try it out. It's working flawlessly for most people. It probably will for you too. I haven't been afraid to use it with clients. That's the acid test for me. 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Killahurts wrote:I install 7.2.1 first, then after I get that working, install 7.22. If something gets broken, I go back. If all is good, I go forward. I mean seriously, how hard is it? :wink:
a bit harder than you're giving credit for, I think.:wink:
the only way to safely run any two versions of DP - or any other app, for that matter - is to install them on two separate partitions/drives, each containing it's own OSX.
if you install, say DP 7.22 on the the same OS that you have 7.21 installed on, you face 2 potentially significant problems; if there's a "problem" with 7.22, you're going to have to deal with that *and* you've already overwritten many, many 7.21-specific files with 7.22 versions so 7.21 may or may not be as clean as it was before the installation.
I think a log of guys here do have a separate "test" partition or drive just for running new versions...the way to do it
and then, as Shooshie mentioned, there are those driver issues.....
so
Killahurts wrote:how hard is it? :wink:
not hard at all...*IF* you're using two partitions/drives with two OSX's
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

williemyers wrote:
Killahurts wrote:I install 7.2.1 first, then after I get that working, install 7.22. If something gets broken, I go back. If all is good, I go forward. I mean seriously, how hard is it? :wink:
the only way to safely run any two versions of DP - or any other app, for that matter - is to install them on two separate partitions/drives, each containing it's own OSX.
if you install, say DP 7.22 on the the same OS that you have 7.21 installed on, you face 2 potentially significant problems; if there's a "problem" with 7.22, you're going to have to deal with that *and* you've already overwritten many, many 7.21-specific files with 7.22 versions so 7.21 may or may not be as clean as it was before the installation.
I think a log of guys here do have a separate "test" partition or drive just for running new versions...the way to do it
and then, as Shooshie mentioned, there are those driver issues.....
so
Killahurts wrote:how hard is it? :wink:
not hard at all...*IF* you're using two partitions/drives with two OSX's
Just clone/backup your drive before you update DP. Then you can always go back.

Hopefully people are keeping their audio and project files on a separate drive from the boot volume (recommended). If so then reverting is easy.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

James Steele wrote:Working great here too!
Merry Christmas, James - Nice that MOTU sent a holiday Update.
7.22 working fine AFAICT on my G5 Tower.
Goin to install it onto my 2007.5MBP now.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

tommymandel wrote:7.22 working fine AFAICT on my G5 Tower.
What O/S Tommy? 10.5.8?
glea

Post by glea »

Loaded it up today. Project created in 7.21 opened right up, no problems.
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World: 3.2 Ghz Quad Xeon | OS 10.11.3 | 2408 Mk3 | 24 i/o | DP9.13 | Logic Pro 9 | 32 Ch Ghost
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

HCMarkus wrote:
tommymandel wrote:7.22 working fine AFAICT on my G5 Tower.
What O/S Tommy? 10.5.8?
Yes, HC, 10.5.8.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

williemyers wrote:

Well now, that would be the easy way, but it wouldn't be the cowboy way! Nah, it depends on the versions. Obviously, you can't go back and forth between DP 5 and 6 without some potential issues. Likewise, there was a recent version that changed audio formats, analysis files, and fades. You probably wouldn't want to go back and forth between that and its previous version. But Dp 7.21 to Dp 7.22 probably won't present any issues going back and forth. Sure, you could load them on separate OS partitions, but that would be a lot of trouble when you go back and forth between them. I say just keep 'em both on the same drive, then mount up that hoss and hold on tight! Yeee-haww!

Shoosh

PS: if the hoss lays down and stops breathin', try to avoid the temptation to do THIS: :deadhorse:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BobK

Post by BobK »

I haven't worked it real hard, but so far I've had no problems at all with 7.22 - running VIs, doing a little bit of MIDI recording, and raising the tempo of four multi-track audio projects which were originally created in DP 5 or 6. I'm a happy camper.

Oh...and I agree with Shooshie - I wouldn't worry about 7.21 and 7.22 on the same drive.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Shooshie wrote:Well now, that would be the easy way, but it wouldn't be the cowboy way! Nah, it depends on the versions.
yup, pardner, I would agree with you on that.
Shooshie wrote:Dp 7.21 to Dp 7.22 probably won't present any issues going back and forth.
It's the "probably won't" thing that's always thrown me a curveball (or a cowpie),...even when installing 7.22 on top of 7.21, there are files - some MOTU, some OSX - that are changed and then when trying to "go back" and run 7.21, you may get glitches that you didn't have before. So, short of running on seperate systems, no way to really be sure. OTOH,
Shooshie wrote:Sure, you could load them on separate OS partitions, but that would be a lot of trouble when you go back and forth between them.
Unfortunately, it is... a *LOT* of trouble. I actually have to have duplicate plugs running on both systems to make a proper analysis.
Shooshie wrote:I say just keep 'em both on the same drive, then mount up that hoss and hold on tight!
at the end of the roundup, I think your solution's as good as mine...maybe better.
happy Christmas and Yeee-haww! to all DP'er's!
(btw, put me in the camp of "I'm running 7.22 w/o problems"
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I'm 95% sure that I won't run into any problems with DP7.22. But, I'm going to wait until I finish a project before going for the plunge. Probably update it the first of the year.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I have both 7.21 and 7.22 on my system drive and can back and forth between
them without any problems at all. I've had no trouble whatsoever with 7.22.
In fact, I forgot I still need to compress 7.21...will do that later today.

FWIW, I've never partitioned a system drive, ever. I've never had more than one user account on a system drive. And I've never had
problems due to those decisions.

I think worries about 7.22 are overblown. I say just go ahead and make the
move if you haven't done so.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

David Polich wrote:... In fact, I forgot I still need to compress 7.21...will do that later today.
Apart from the obvious (it's there should you need it), I've always done this as a means of ensuring the older version isn't inadvertently opened, something that should it occur may not be obvious, especially where minor upgrades are concerned. Great call, Dave.
David Polich wrote:FWIW, I've never partitioned a system drive, ever.
Me neither.
David Polich wrote:I've never had more than one user account on a system drive.
Me neither.
David Polich wrote:And I've never had problems due to those decisions.
Me neither.
David Polich wrote:I think worries about 7.22 are overblown. I say just go ahead and make the move if you haven't done so.
+1

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

David Polich wrote:In fact, I forgot I still need to compress 7.21...will do that later today.
I never thought about compressing previous versions of DP. Can you please explain what you mean by this and how one does it properly? Thanks.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....