Have I made a mistake buying BPM 1.5?

Here's where all the ranting and griping about BPM will go since there are a few people insisting on clogging up the BPM Forum with trashing BPM.

Moderator: ssp

djblunt
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by djblunt »

It appears I may have. I just ordered it today, AND THEN came across this forum. Perfect timing :x . I've been reading through this forum, and all I've read are negative reviews about BPM. I should've went with my better judgement when I couldn't get a straight answer about BPM having the 16 level auto-chromatic feature like the MPC 20000xl :? (which I have found out AFTER BUYING IT that it does not :mumble: ). The only reason I'm getting it is because of the library. I have heard that the sounds are good, despite the workflow of this program, which apparently is pretty bad to say the least according to what I've been reading here. Is there anyone here who has something good to say about it? And, is there a work around way to get a sound to be spread "chromatically" (pitched/tuned) auto/semi-automatically? If I have to program each pad individually to do this, I'd rather just use my MPC.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Have I made a mistake buying BPM 1.5?

Post by BKK-OZ »

Unfortunately, most people don't come to forums to post when everything is going OK, they only come with problems or gripes - some of the latter being justified, many of them just petty swipes.

There is nothing wrong with BPM, it is a fine product. It is not the best software in the world, nor is it the worst. It is good at what is purports to do, and it is reliable.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
chrisma

Post by chrisma »

Yes you can do 16 levels (actually more than that) but not on the pads. You have to drop a sample on the a rack. Works fine and even has OK pitch time stretching.
World Class Major Label Quality Music Production - UrbanMultiTracks.com
http://www.urbanmultitracks.com/

Music Production, Mixing & Mastering - ChrismaProductions.com
http://www.chrismaproductions.com/
ssp

Post by ssp »

No matter what forum for whatever music tech you go into there are always the few that are never happy with a product. And is always the case even when the fixes for bugs they complained about are released they never admit to being satisfied simply because they then have to find something else to moan about.

Since this new realease many major issues were fixed and new items added. Yes the software still needs revising, however as anything this will be dealt with with the next update im sure.

The software as it stands is an excellent buy and intergrates into the studio very well. Previous posts about issues will more than likely be related to the prior 1.5 version and as such can be disreguarded.

I have not had as much time as i wanted to organise recent postings, however I will be in here over the winter period and will "trim the fat" from this section again and once again only relevent posts will remain.

I can promise you that you will not regret buying BPM, it has a few issues that need sorting but as i always say here and with good measure "be patient" the goods come along, its just the postman is a little slow these days!! <--(great analogy)

As soon as there is any news relating to BPM i will let you all know as promised, in the meantime have a good xmas and new year all.

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
M-Goldie

Post by M-Goldie »

djblunt wrote:It appears I may have. I just ordered it today, AND THEN came across this forum. Perfect timing :x . I've been reading through this forum, and all I've read are negative reviews about BPM. I should've went with my better judgement when I couldn't get a straight answer about BPM having the 16 level auto-chromatic feature like the MPC 20000xl :? (which I have found out AFTER BUYING IT that it does not :mumble: ). The only reason I'm getting it is because of the library. I have heard that the sounds are good, despite the workflow of this program, which apparently is pretty bad to say the least according to what I've been reading here. Is there anyone here who has something good to say about it? And, is there a work around way to get a sound to be spread "chromatically" (pitched/tuned) auto/semi-automatically? If I have to program each pad individually to do this, I'd rather just use my MPC.
you could at least use it before trashing it? if you suspect its not for you already then return it unopened for your money back.

anyway, there are plenty of good things to say about it. also check other forums, gearslutz for example.

there are also some annoying issues, and feature requests, as is the way with most software...
OSX 10.6.4 / logic pro 9 / reason 5 / bias peak 6 / bpm 1.5 /
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

I do know one thing for sure about BPM, the sound quality is PRO!!! These R&B hits and snares will crack your face off in a mix!

I have not heard any Urban Sampler, aside from the $3000 MPC, that delivers such punch and clarity in a track right out of the box.

While it's workflow leaves a lot to be desired, the pure sonic quality of the premastered samples WILL Improve any production and is well worth the pricetag.

Fuller
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Which $3000 mpc is that? Personally I think BPM sounds better then any MPC I've ever heard,including the 3000 and the 60. :wink: To the OP,try it before you knock it.
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

I do know one thing for sure about BPM, the sound quality is PRO!!! These R&B hits and snares will crack your face off in a mix!
+1 Probably the best drums and one shots around. Great stock effects and filters. Too bad there are serious bugs we are waiting so long to get fixed.
Fahrenheit 451

Post by Fahrenheit 451 »

I love BPM 1.5... I use it ALWAYS! I like being able to program and tweak my own patterns... I do wish there were more preset Patterns & Kits but aside from this I love it. Take your time... Learn how to use it and you will appreciate it's potential.
bun-chan

Post by bun-chan »

BPM is software to make beats. If u make hip hop then BPM is great. It's easy to sample from vinyl, trim, assign to pads, add FX and lay down a beat. It's not so good at recording a 100 piece band. DUH!!!Add to that USB packs are 50% off at the moment and you can't go wrong.
As you've probably heard " a poor tradesman always blames his tools" such is the case in Motunation forums. POOR TRADESMEN.
Get over it.
THETOC

Post by THETOC »

dunno if anybody is still reading this..

You may check-out the synthetic drum section and all the 3rd party
sound support which is available for BPM. Watch the other musical
products the company is selling (software and hardware) and look how
long they are running this business until today. Finally start using
the product for which it was build (a sample drum-machine/sequencer).
Then judge.

Regards, THETOC
THETOC

Post by THETOC »

..some time later, i say YES:"You've made a mistake bying BPM 1.5"!
At least the update 1.5 from 1.05 since it can't export MIDI/Audio
via drag and drop ..it crashes itself (standalone) and the host (if
used as plug-in). If you think "..ahh, i don't need that" check-out
the bad latency BPM actually does (around 256ms, 128ms with luck).

..also the company is aware of software errors since 2 years, there
is not much happened over the time. The latest version 1.5.2 crashes
and musicians are left alone. Question is: Should the user play with
BPM as a toy or actually produce music seriously?

::I'm using the old version BPM 1.05, although i've paid for the new
version upgrade. That comes close to a joke, isn't it?

::Also exporting audio clips to a DAW is not ideal, since it exports
16 bit files instead 24bit. By the way, effects are not exported in
the audio. So if you used that 12bit cruncher in BPM, it's simply
not exported with the audio file. That again is a bit "funny".

==No dissing or spreading bad vibes around here, but the facts are
just not ..let's say ..ideal. Latency, workflow and product support
just su*** ..the sound is still good. But the market also changed.

--I try to catch what i can in my DAW and then i'm out selling it.