Will DP 4 edit QT movie sound without loosing the sync

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
John_Stockale
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Will DP 4 edit QT movie sound without loosing the sync

Post by John_Stockale »

Hi:

I've got some video from a concert and the camera took one dry feed from the soundboard and one live mic. The two soundtracks are separated as L & R stereo.

Q. Can I use DP4 to combine & edit the two tracks and save them as part of the movie (.mov or .dv) and thus keeping the A/V syncronized ?

Please tell me how or suggest another way ?

Thanks.
fuzzyl0g1c

Re: Will DP 4 edit QT movie sound without loosing the sync

Post by fuzzyl0g1c »

I did something like that. You have a QT movie. You can bring in the movie although you can't edit the movie. Its more or less a reference to the movie and its timeline. However DP asks if you would like it to add the audio tracks in. When I did this it added a stereo track.

I'm not sure this was the best way to separate the tracks but I then sent each of the tracks to a separate bus and then recorded them as two mono tracks.

So yeah. You can edit the audio but not the video.
John_Stockale

Post by John_Stockale »

Thanks for the reply Fuzz.

I know I can get at the audio. What I need to know is how to get it back into the movie, after I've fixed it up a bit ?

If not DP4, then what other tools ?
fuzzyl0g1c

Post by fuzzyl0g1c »

Oh, What I did was just drop the finished audio file back into final cut. Although I think sometimes the audio file might be longer than it was and just has silence at the end that I cut off.
The start doesn't seem to change. Although I really don't have any files infront of me to play around with.
lightningad

Post by lightningad »

John - you cannot do what you wanting to do just in DP 4.12 (i don't have 4.5 so it may be different in there).

You cannot edit both picture and sound in DP and you cannot burn the newly treated audio back onto your QT movie in DP.

You could always do the picture / audio edits in final cut first, then make individual QT Movs of each section which you can work on in dp. Then export the files and burn them back onto the qt mov using QT pro - i haven't done that in such a long time i have forgotten the method, but it can be done!
"silly keeps you sane"
dchai

Post by dchai »

Export the audio out of FCP as an OMF and open that up in DP, edit and mix till satisfied and then bounce to a stereo file (in 4.12) or directo to AIFF (4.5) and then reimport iinto FCP, drop it on the timeline, it will match perfectly as long as you select all before you bounce to disk. Works great with long programs (I've done 102 minute program, with no sync drift.)

David :D
Truthfulness, Compassion, Tolerance
www.falundafa.org
lightningad

Post by lightningad »

i think the problem here is that john wants to do both the picture edit and sound mix in the same program.

There is no program that is good at both....the best option is to decide on the edits you want to make first, make loose versions (ie. with large handles on both picture and sound) this gives you more to play with when doing your audio sweetening. Load that back onto the video and tighten up the picture edits.

That way you don't compromise on either picture or sound.
"silly keeps you sane"