Quintessential Sound Libraries?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

jklimeck
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quintessential Sound Libraries?

Post by jklimeck »

What's up all

Wondering if you guys could fill in here your feelings on some of the best / favorite, sample Libraries out there for the instruments I have listed.

The quintessential libraries for each listed instrument, and hopefully they are able to be imported / converted with UVI.

That would be great.

Thanks in advance,

jk

------

Fender Rhodes: I know of Real Rhodes (Pyramid Sound) and Scarbee RSP '73

Piano: Mach Five Bosendorfer is my favorite, (any others ?)

B3 Organ: Have heard of USB's Charlie

Drums: Need modern very clean well recorded drums, hip hop, studio, r&b, techno, dance, etc., mainly concerned with kick snare and hi-hat's.

I have Emagic Extreme hip hop and I am discovering the recorded sound quality is not that godd / high.

The drums sounds that come with Mach Five are nice, but has anyone noticed, the drums are almost impossible to navigate and select a snare, kick or hi-hat, because there are so many and there is no sound preview. And many of the sounds are not good.

Maybe Studio drums from Native Inst.?

Are there any sampled drums out there by hi end drummers (or whomever), like Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, etc. and does anyone know of any Groove Patterns by high end players (or that have been input manually).

Bass: Bass guitar, jazz, funk, sound / style

Any (funky) Synth Bass sounds, like the Fairlight (Scritti Politti), Jeff Lorber, etc.

Pads, Strings, Vox's, Spacey Ambient Sounds, a la the Roland JV series, etc.

Yamah DX 7 sounds

thanks again,

jk
midilance

Re: Quintessential Sound Libraries?

Post by midilance »

I just returned from NAMM and can report the following:

For really great drumsounds with the ability to easily select different snares, etc. for kits your two top choices are BFD (Fxpansion) and Drumkit From Hell Superior (Toontrack) for killer, real drum sounds. For hip hop, electronic, funky, hip percussion it is Stylus RMX for sure.

For electronic pianos it is the new electronic piano module just released by Scarbee.com. It has all their best ep samples (rhodes, wurli and clave). It covers all those bases better than any else I have heard or played. They also introduced the ultimate effects processor for these sounds although the processor is only available on PC at this time. I'm sure that it will be available sometime on Mac.

For B3, I like Native Instruments B4 better than Charlie. I've heard that the B3 plug-in that ships with Logic is really good but I don't want to use Logic so I guess I'm out of luck.

It is quite odd to me that Apple would limit plug-in sales to only Logic users.

Also, I really like MinimoogV for analog sounds. It's processor hungry but at least the power suckage results in great quality sound.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
jklimeck

Post by jklimeck »

Stylus RMX seems to be mainly a Loop based thing, not really interested in loops.

BFD seems like a self contained module, more interested in realistic 24 bit 96 khz, high quality real studio drum sounds, Toontrack, Drums from Hell sounds interesting.

Gonna also look at Native Instruments stuff

<small>[ February 03, 2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: macguitarman ]</small>
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

BFD seems like a self contained module, more interested in realistic 24 bit 96 khz, high quality real studio drum sounds
It is a module, but the sounds are authentic if you're looking for a "full kit recorded in a nice studio" sample player. And, as a one-trick pony of sorts, it's pretty flexible and does the job. A lot of people love it. And, of course, you can MIDI-drive it from DP and either AU or ReWire it in, so its not hermetically "self-contained."

FWIW...

All of the USB V.I.s I've test driven output really great sounds (Charlie, Ultra Focus, Extreme-FX). Pricey though. I actually prefer Charlie (as it's high-quality sampled stuff) to NI B4, but both are great.

I also like Arturia's CS-80V and NI's FM7 for old-school poly-synth sounds.

BTW: Stylus RMX ships with a buttload of single hits (over 10,000 they say). So, it's not just a loop player. I'd love to have it.

Have you web-searched for free Rhodes sounds? There are giga and akai samples that folks have put together on their own.
jklimeck

Post by jklimeck »

chrispick,

thanks for the info very helpful.

I didn't know Stylus came with single hits, 10,000 that is very cool.

I saw a demo of Stylus and the "Chaos" feature looked cool, introducing, improvised sections within the grove, that is cool.

I am wondering if there is a way to get this type of "on the fly" drum groove improv within DP / Mac Five within MIDI files.

Maybe with Stylus after you apply the "Chaos" feature (improv within the groove) you can export the drum groove as a a MIDI file, import into DP ? Mach Five and use your own drum sounds, or is there a way to assign individual drum sounds / hits within Stylus.

I will definitely check out the Rhodes sounds (akai) etc. around the web.

I see you are in Pasadena, I am in Los Angeles.

Do you know of any MOTU / DP / Mach Five Users Groups in LA, I would like to create one if it doesn't already exist, would be very cool.
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

Do you know of any MOTU / DP / Mach Five Users Groups in LA?
I don't know if one exists or not. Might be worth investigating. Certainly, there must be plenty of DP and/or M5 users in the area.

I guess I would join an LA-MOTU User group, depending on what the group has to offer.
tbenson

Post by tbenson »

dfh is very cool, but . . .
To get full advantage of it's multiple outputs in DP you have to use the Rewire module. It's a rather cumbersome process to set that all up. dfh is also very ram hungry, so keep that in mind. If your willing to work a little to set it up correctly, it does have killer sounds and offers a lot of flexibility. I'm a drummer and dfh comes as close to the real thing as I've heard yet.

Tony
Tony Benson
www.standinghampton.com
Mac Studio M1 Max - 64GB, DP 11.3,
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

dfh is very cool, but...To get full advantage of it's multiple outputs in DP you have to use the Rewire module. It's a rather cumbersome process to set that all up. dfh is also very ram hungry, so keep that in mind.
Similar caveat goes for BFD.