Plogue Bidule - One Topic to rule them all...

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
zed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Plogue Bidule - One Topic to rule them all...

Post by zed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I did restart to no avail. And the VI thing in DP is strange. I disabled all VIs and it asked if I wanted to restart the MOTU engine. I did. I also restarted the mac again after that. I'll play with it a bit later. I NEED COFFEE AND FOOD NOW!
Wait a sec... did you mean you are disabling the plugins using the Audio Plugins manager in the DP preferences? That is probably not a good idea. There is something buggy with that whole system, which I know from doing assorted tests to try and find problem plugins.

I would disable the outputs of VIs in your project so that DP doesn't take any time or resources to load those plugins in a specific project, but I wouldn't disable the plugins from DP altogether.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Seems to be working now and yes, I did tell DP to not run the VI plugs in the preferences list. Won't be doing that again...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
zed

Post by zed »

Tripi wrote:You know, the memory management in Kontakt is great when it is used in Bidule too. I have 4 gig of Kontakt instruments loaded along side 4 gig of Play instrumets in my Bidule template. Since both instruments address outside memory, Bidule is actually using very little physical ram... but it's like having 8 gig loaded in one program. Seems to work great. Wish they would hurry up and get the 64 bit version of Bidule out for Mac.
Hey Tripi,

Sorry to pester you, but I'm still eager to hear more about your PLAY setup in Bidule. About how many instances of the plugin are you using in your template, and what settings are you using to for the PLAY engine to best deliver those 4GB of samples using outside memory?

Thanks in advance! :-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I have five Play instances in Bidule. They aren't completely loaed like the Kontakt instruments, but it breaks down something like this:
Play 1 - 5 Guitars from Gypsy and MOR
Play 2 - 2 Basses from MOR
Play 3 - Quite a few drums from SD2 and SD2 Pro
Play 4 - A bunch of various ethnic instruments from Ra
Play 5 - Pianos (this one is huuuuuuuge)

They don't always add up to 4 gig.... but my biggest template definitely pushes the limit. From what I understand, Play handles memory similarly to Kontakt, but it keeps more of the instrument loaded natively in the host for streaming these huge samples. I have the engines set to level 5 on all of the players, and each one goes through it's own Jack output to DP.

For what it's worth; I used to have these inside DP in my template, and notes hung all the time. Now, they barely ever stick... and if they do it clears with one note off message.

- Tripi
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Midi maniac

Post by Midi maniac »

Very helpful threads and comments...
Thanks
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No problem. We're here to help.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

One topic to rule them all...

...and in the darkness bind them!

I hear there's a new 64-bit beta version of Bidule floating around out there. Don't know much about it, but there it is...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=44162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52