Two artists with same name on iTunes??

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Two artists with same name on iTunes??

Post by James Steele »

It's my own damned fault. I uploaded a song to iTunes via TuneCore (which I joined today) and it made it onto the iTunes store within hours! The downside is there is an artist with the same name as me already on iTunes who has an album from 2007 and TuneCore put my single up their assigned to HIS artist ID.

I've emailed TuneCore (they have no support phone) to ask if they can remove it and then upload again creating a artist account with a unique ID. Since I am using my own personal, LEGAL name it's my understanding I am not infringing. I will not change MY OWN NAME for iTunes. ARGHHH! :banghead:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Re: Two artists with same name on iTunes??

Post by monkey man »

Hear, hear, Jimbo. You tell 'em, bud.

I won't change my name for iToons either; hopefully there aren't too many wannabe Monkey Men out there by the time I upload potential hittoons. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, one of my high school friends who is a Guitar God (and toured with John Hiatt for several years), switched to calling himself STEVEN vs. STEVE Perry, due to confusion with the former lead singer from Journey.

In fact, he inserted his middle name, just to be extra careful of no on-line screw-ups of artist assigment.

For the record, his pro career began before the more famous one, but that isn't what counts.

I'm curious about where this discussion heads, as it has come up several times recently for projects and/or people that I am either working with or part of myself.

As for my own name, there's little risk of collision, as I think I'm the only musician in the world with this name (there is unfortunately a pederast priest with my name in Oregon, who showed up in Google up until a couple of years ago so probably was reassigned as he no longer pre-empts my own showings and those of other respectable individuals with the same name -- including other priests who aren't tainted).

I sure wouldn't want to have to change or manipulate my name just because someone else came first, but it arguably helped David Bowie's career to have a unique stage name? Unlike Elvis Costello though, he assigns writer credit to his stage name vs. his real name (actually, I think he changed his legal name from Davey Jones altogether).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That's it then. I'm inserting a middle name just in case:

Monkey BeA Man.

There. That'll do it. Everyone wants to be the Monkey. :roll:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Turns out a unique artist ID is easily doable in the case of two persons with legal names. Someone pointed out to me on MOTU-MAC that there are two artists named Larry Wilcox on iTunes, yet they have different artist IDs. TuneCore got back to me and said that it will take TWO to THREE WEEKS to straighten this out however. Nice.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!