Need Help - Missing Audio Files

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rthorderson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Need Help - Missing Audio Files

Post by rthorderson »

Wow...this one has me stumped.

I have a project I finished back in Aug'09 (I am a DP early adopter, so I would have been on whichever version was available back then...6.x?)

I needed to do a remix of the project and when I opened it, several of the soundbites were missing. What is odd is that there are soundbites recorded when we first started the project that are OK, and others recorded as we finished up the project that are OK. But the missing files are from the middle of our project timeline (not to be confused with the middle of the sequence).

I tried using MacKeeper to check to see if I deleted them somehow...no luck...although, I am suspecting that MacKeeper is not savvy to .aif files (as it didn't find a single .aif file).

The analysis files are still there...just not the actual audio file.

ANY IDEAS??? It feels like some little switch was flipped to hide the files or some little corruption like that. I am completely lost...and REALLY not wanting to try and recreate the original tracks.

:cry:
Randy Thorderson
www.randythorderson.com

Ξ DP8.0 Ξ OS X 10.8.4 64-bit on SSD Ξ MacPro3.1 8-core 2.26GHz Ξ 18GB Ram Ξ 2408mkII w/ 424e Ξ
Ξ NI: Kontakt 5.0, Scarbee (MM, Jay, Pre), AK Piano, B4 II Ξ RealGuitar 3.0 Ξ ModArt Pianoteq Studio 4 Ξ
Ξ Garritan GPO4 & JABB3 Ξ Vir2 Mojo 1.2.1 Ξ Arturia V-Collection, Analog Factory, Analog Lab Ξ MX4 2.2 Ξ
Ξ MachFive3 Ξ Superior Drummer 2 Ξ SSD 3.5 Ξ NomadFactory ProdPack II Ξ Sonalksis Multi-Limit Ξ VEP5 Ξ
Tim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Need Help - Missing Audio Files

Post by Tim »

Are he files still listed in the soundbites window? If so, what does it say in the Disk column?
rthorderson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rthorderson »

Tim wrote:Are he files still listed in the soundbites window? If so, what does it say in the Disk column?
Timbo, I think your intuition is spot on...it is pointing to a disk that does not exist any longer. More accurately, it exists, but I renamed it (from "Studio 1" to "Studio"). I record onto non-OS drives...so this is not the OS drive. What is weird is that there are files created that same day in the project that did not get lost (some before, some after the Soundbite Create Time).

My gut tells me that the files are on the disk somewhere, but I think most of the recovery tools rely on the trash method to work their magic. These files were lost with some other method.

This is a drag...
Randy Thorderson
www.randythorderson.com

Ξ DP8.0 Ξ OS X 10.8.4 64-bit on SSD Ξ MacPro3.1 8-core 2.26GHz Ξ 18GB Ram Ξ 2408mkII w/ 424e Ξ
Ξ NI: Kontakt 5.0, Scarbee (MM, Jay, Pre), AK Piano, B4 II Ξ RealGuitar 3.0 Ξ ModArt Pianoteq Studio 4 Ξ
Ξ Garritan GPO4 & JABB3 Ξ Vir2 Mojo 1.2.1 Ξ Arturia V-Collection, Analog Factory, Analog Lab Ξ MX4 2.2 Ξ
Ξ MachFive3 Ξ Superior Drummer 2 Ξ SSD 3.5 Ξ NomadFactory ProdPack II Ξ Sonalksis Multi-Limit Ξ VEP5 Ξ
Tim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Tim »

Have you searched for a file name from the project (or .aif from that date) in the Studio drive? What if you rename the drive to Studio 1 and open the project again?