Will Mach5 Load Its Own Presets Cross-Platform ?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Daweenis
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Will Mach5 Load Its Own Presets Cross-Platform ?

Post by Daweenis »

Hey Guys,

My question is this....I intend to use Chicken Systems' "Translator" to convert some of my older format sample disks (i.e. Roland S-50, Emax II, etc) to Mach5 format as there are some very usable sounds believe it or not on these disks. Translator (in the Windows version of the program) handles all I need and more to a very high degree of accuracy as you can see here :

Click here for list of Available conversion in Windows Version of Translator

Problem is, the Windows version is a lot more developed as far as conversion capabilities....so that means I'm going to be converting my old disks into Mach5 Windows format as the Mac version won't handle s-50 and EmaxII formats as of yet (they are under development).

I intend to be purchasing Mach5, however, in Mac format because of my desired integration with DP 4.52. Question is...I know Apple reads Windows formatted hard disks. Will the Mac version of Mach5 read and load the saved Windows format of Mach5 presets and samples ? In other words, I am going to be converting and saving my sample disks on a windows formatted external hard drive in Mach5 format on my PC and then plugging the USB hard drive into my G4. If I have Mach5 loaded in DP on my Mac, will it be able to read and load the Mach5 presets saved in the windows format ?

Please...anyone with some idea on this please give me your best guess. The answer will determine how I need to navigate my Mach5 purchase. Thanks Very Much !!!

Daw

p.s.- FYI

Here's the Link for more info on "Translator".

I absolutely do not work for them and this is not a plug for their software...just providing it in case anyone needs more info on what I'll be using....Thanks much !!

<small>[ March 07, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Daweenis ]</small>
thracks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Will Mach5 Load Its Own Presets Cross-Platform ?

Post by thracks »

Is it just me, or is there no listing of EmaxII as a source fomat on that list? I've got tons of samples from my old Emax II sampler, some of which I converted to Mach 5 via my E6400. It would be cool to be able to convert Emax samples directly, since my current solution is quite a pain in the ass.

<small>[ March 07, 2005, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: thracks ]</small>
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
Daweenis

Post by Daweenis »

Here's an Info Link on the Emax to Mach5 translation

It is currently under "Code Development" but I have this info also from the website on the Emax Translation code status...

"The Emax format is very similar to the E3/ESi format. Currently the only work needed to be done on this conversion is to internally change to the E3 format and tap into the E3/ESi output driver; hopefully this will be done shortly."

So it appears the ability to convert Emax II files is imminent but not yet ready for prime time. I have other formats I can feed Translator while I'm waiting for the Emax translation code to be completed.

Here is the page where you can enter the source and destination formats and find out what the development status is :

Source-Destination format Development Status

So....anybody have any idea on Cross platform Mach5 data file compatibility?

Thanks !!

Daw
Daweenis

Post by Daweenis »

Magic Dave's reply from MOTU :

"...Thank you for your interest.

Mach Five presets created under Windows will be directly readable by
Mach Five on Macintosh.

I look forward to answering all your technical questions.

If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Dave Roberts - MOTU"

Magic Dave you're Aces...Thanks my friend...

Daw
mackid

Post by mackid »

Originally posted by Daweenis:
Hey Guys,

My question is this....I intend to use Chicken Systems' "Translator" to convert some of my older format sample disks (i.e. Roland S-50, Emax II, etc) to Mach5 format as there are some very usable sounds believe it or not on these disks. Translator (in the Windows version of the program) handles all I need and more to a very high degree of accuracy as you can see here :

Click here for list of Available conversion in Windows Version of Translator

Problem is, the Windows version is a lot more developed as far as conversion capabilities....so that means I'm going to be converting my old disks into Mach5 Windows format as the Mac version won't handle s-50 and EmaxII formats as of yet (they are under development).

I intend to be purchasing Mach5, however, in Mac format because of my desired integration with DP 4.52. Question is...I know Apple reads Windows formatted hard disks. Will the Mac version of Mach5 read and load the saved Windows format of Mach5 presets and samples ? In other words, I am going to be converting and saving my sample disks on a windows formatted external hard drive in Mach5 format on my PC and then plugging the USB hard drive into my G4. If I have Mach5 loaded in DP on my Mac, will it be able to read and load the Mach5 presets saved in the windows format ?

Please...anyone with some idea on this please give me your best guess. The answer will determine how I need to navigate my Mach5 purchase. Thanks Very Much !!!

Daw

p.s.- FYI

Here's the Link for more info on "Translator".

I absolutely do not work for them and this is not a plug for their software...just providing it in case anyone needs more info on what I'll be using....Thanks much !!
Here is the story about Chicken Systems, I bought his Translator Program to convert my old ASR-10 samples to Mach Five. This program will only work with the simplest samples, if there are any cross fades or anything a little tricky, the program bombs. To make matters worse the Mach Five files it creates won't work, Mach Five won't see the presets. I had to convert to Gigastudio and then use UVI to convert to Mach Five. Some samples would not convert well this way, so I would convert to Soundfont or EXS 24 and again translate with UVI. This is all done on a PC and transfered to a Mac for the UVI part. The Mac version is worse, it only supports the EXS 24 format from ASR-10. I have had this program for over a year and have told him about all the problems, and all he says is OK I will fix it, but it never happens. If you go on the Great Northern web site and read some of the messages there in his section, you will see what I am saying is true. If you have some simple samples that you want to translate and you want to deal with all the crap it is going to take to get them to your Mach Five, then it kind of works. But don't buy into what it says on his web site, it the worst case of false advertising I have ever seen, I don't know how he gets away with it. Unless you've got to have it, I would wait and see how things shake out when and if he comes out with the Version 3.

Mackid
Daweenis

Post by Daweenis »

Mackid...Thanks for the heads up. I was going to buy this product but was trying the freeware sample version before purchase. Based on your experience I will not go thought with the purchase. Looks like they have some issues to work out. Sorry you've had so many problems with the program and it's a shame they so grossly misrepresent the current version's capabilities. Thanks for saving me a huge hassle not to mention some hard earned cash !!!

Daw