Why does my loop just cut off?

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

joker77
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Why does my loop just cut off?

Post by joker77 »

Hi,
I have a loop which is 4 bars long,it repeats twice in the sequence, 128 steps, at around 50 steps the loop just cuts off. I have noticed this with loops before in bpm,and thought I might ask the forum,if they know of any fixes.

I gave it no instructions to do this,so what causes this to happen and how can I quickly fix it?

Thank you in advance
Mac:Mac Pro 8 Core|12GB Ram|Lion OSX 10.7.2
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
ssp

Re: Why does my loop just cut off?

Post by ssp »

did you try changing the "adsr" settings for it using the "faders" on the right hand side? :smash: :smash:

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Hi ssp,
Yes I have the ADSR all the way up.this doesn't make any difference though.It still cuts off the loop.The loop should play without this issue.I've also tested this same loop in Guru demo,and it works fine,so this has me thinking something else is wrong.

thanks for the response, any other idea's?
Hardware:RME Fireface|Alesis Q7|Lavry AD/DA|Grace 101|FocusritePre|Presonus Monitor Station|DynAudio Bm5a Mk2|Event
Software:Maschine|Emulator X3|Mach Five 3|Geist|UVI sound libraries|Pro Tools 10|Logic 9|Studio One Pro 2
joker77

Post by joker77 »

fwiw I've noticed this in all motu bpm versions,anytime I've tried to work with loops,it's always had this issue. I can send you the loop if you want,but this happens with all loops here.It doesn't work,I just want it to play it back like I have it set to in the bpm seq. but it will not.. I'm surprised no on else notices this
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Make sure the pattern is the same length as the loop. This can happen if the pattern length is too short or too long. If you are using a 32 grid then the loop can't be longer than 4 bars.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Hi b-righteous,
I'm using a resolution of 16 grid, 128 steps = 4 pages which would equal 8 bars on an mpc,but the problem is this - I load the loop with all these settings above,but the loop doesn't even play long enough to make it to the 4th bar it cuts off.. I'm almost positive this is a bug as I'm doing everything right,or everything I should do. I think.. Again the loop goes for 4 bars,I should be able to place this loop in two places on the grid,which would be 1st step,and then the 65th step, I'm positive this should work,as it works in Guru.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Ok I just noticed another thing, AHD also is affecting this,in another strange issue,if I pull all the AHD faders up,along with the ADSR all the way up,(which should make the sample play the full duration with every bit of it released) the loop plays a little bit longer,but then fades out.. This is NOT working correctly.

First off I shouldn't have to select any settings for a samples length to play,unless I'm actually using the loop function. I'm not,I'm just asking the sequencer to play back a 4 bar loop,so there is definitely a problem with this. the tempo of the 4 bar loop is at 70bpm, bpm's sequencer is also at 70,this file should play the duration till the end of the loop of the actual sequencer,but it cuts off the sample..

correct me if I'm wrong here,but I think this is a bug. :surrender:
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

The top ADSR envelope section is strictly for the filter. The bottom envelope is for the amp and this is what you want to look at. Make sure the Amp AHD hold and decay are all the way up. Leave the attack all the way down.

That being said, when I toggle the amp envelope to adsr and raise the release to max, it does not play all the way to the end like it should. AHD works though. You can also turn the sample to one shot mode by right clicking on the waveform and selecting one shot.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

Hi b,
Yep that makes sense and I tried all of that,including AHD,attack is at 0 obviously,decay and hold faders are all the way up,and setting it as one shot,it still cuts off the sample.. I give up,it's not working.. I'll just do my work in studio one

thanks
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Sorry about the false alarm. Last thing is does this happen when you just trigger the pad without recording? Does it play the full 4 bars then? If not it could be the sample end point needs to be adjusted. Also check you did not draw a graph decay modulation.

Works here as expected on both BPM 1.05 and 1.5 if amp AHD hold and decay are all the way up.
joker77

Post by joker77 »

b-righteous wrote:Sorry about the false alarm. Last thing is does this happen when you just trigger the pad without recording? Does it play the full 4 bars then? If not it could be the sample end point needs to be adjusted. Also check you did not draw a graph decay modulation.

Works here as expected on both BPM 1.05 and 1.5 if amp AHD hold and decay are all the way up.
The loop has no loop points,perhaps this is the problem.I'm using a loop from my Motion Samples Acoustic Guitars library.So I then set up loop points,I then set it to One Shot, I press play without recording, the loop plays,but then fades out as I mentioned before.. So nope it will not play the full 4 bars even if I play it without recording,and have every bit of the samplers settings set right.
No I didn't draw in any decay modulation,this is a brand new project..

I'll just stick to studio one,thanks for the help tho..
ssp

Post by ssp »

Right.

I have just loaded up a stereo sample that is 16 seconds long and , made it one shot, changes the seq to 128 steps and resolution of 32.

I also made the poly on the sample 1 and then single shot.

over on the faders i changed the lower one to adsr, A D are at 0s S+R are at max settings of 100% and 20s.

Now when i hit my pad the whole sample plays all the way through a full 8 bar loop section as you can see on the picture.

works fine for me

b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

I think joker77 has moved on with it. Maybe it had to do with using loop mode vs just leaving loop off and adjusting sample end point?

BTW. that's why it was not working for me in adsr mode. I did not turn the decay all the way down. 8)
joker77

Post by joker77 »

I've tried the suggestions, it ain't working here unfortunately.I give up :deadhorse:
ssp

Post by ssp »

joker, the loop im using is longer than yours, I made the settings and it works every time. I am sorry it is not down to bpm.

b-righteous
My purpose here no matter what is to try and provide you users some support, even if the guy says "I give in" it may still be an issue for other users so It is down to me to see whats wrong, rectify it and give the users support as best I can. Which, at the moment is a little difficult while I recouperate and rest up.

What is annoying for me is when someone says " this doesnt work BPM is rubbish" etc and then I have to get it all set up, recreate that issue and hey presto it works for me. I have the same revision as the rest of you nothing different at all.

B-righteous, I respect your input, I have said this for quite some time and to be honest it would be good to have a second mod in here at some point and It would be good for it to be you as the input you have put in has been excellent.

Joker the only other option is for you to email either myself or b-righteous a copy of this sample and see if it works for us.

I need to go back to sleep now.

catch you soon