MachFive question

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

visiblecow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MachFive question

Post by visiblecow »

Hi im a DP user who is considering adding MachFive to my arsenal. I have plenty of samples that I can archive within MachFive, but my question was regarding the samples that come with MachFive itself, and in particular the bosendorfer piano sounds. Are they any good? Whilst this is not overly essential it would be cool for your help as I'm going to need some really good piano samples really soon, and this would make things more convenient.
Thanks for your help...
:)
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MachFive question

Post by chrispick »

My opinions:

The M5 Bosendorfer is decent. It lacks a bit of punch and brightness, so it's not ideal for most rock / pop tracks. Still, it has a sort of dark character that can be suitable for some pieces.

Many users rave about Ivory as a piano sample module outside of M5. I've yet to try it. I've added PMI Steinway and Bosendorfer samples into M5 and they've worked well for me.

The M5 electric keyboards (suitcase piano and rock / gospel organ) are pretty good, as are the M5 drum kits. I find the M5 drums nice to blend with other samples like my BFD kits.

The guitar and bass samples are, to my tastes, more novel than practical, but useful in the odd situation.

The GM library and Plugsound Free have their hits and misses, but are usable overall, and certainly nice to have online (they're low-memory).

The USB demos (Charlie, Ultra Focus) have some really nice, rich patches, but not a lot of choices offered (they're demos, after all).

Overall, I don't think the packaged M5 samples are must-haves, but they can complement an existing library nicely.

Hope that helps.
visiblecow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MachFive question

Post by visiblecow »

Okay thank you for your input, that's very useful...
:)