DP: Tuning Vocals Using DP's Pitch Automation

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is being developed and is intended as intended as a place to bring together various Digital Performer video tutorials. Currently only YouTube videos may be embedded using the [YouTube] BB code.
Sean Kenny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Sean Kenny »

Hi Folks

Just wanted to show you one of DP's best kept secrets in action Pitch Automation

I use it all the time in my online Vocal Tuning Service - "Intonational Rescue"

You should try it, it rocks.

BTW I also own Autotune, Melodyne and Waves Tune, but still - DP is my goto tuner

Sean Kenny - http://www.intonationalrescue.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Tuning Vocals Using DP's Pitch Automation

Post by James Steele »

Wow Sean! Thanks for posting this!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Sean Kenny

Re: Tuning Vocals Using DP's Pitch Automation

Post by Sean Kenny »

James Steele wrote:Wow Sean! Thanks for posting this!
Hi James

No worries. I'll be doing a few more over the next few months on editing in DP.

Regards

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
busle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP: Tuning Vocals Using DP's Pitch Automation

Post by busle »

been using the DP pitch automation since I started using it, and I love the results, since it's so good at allowing you to keep a natural sound while tweaking to your heart's content. I haven't used any pitch correction plugins, so I have no idea how they sound, comparatively. I imagine they're probably a bit quicker to use, but I guess it's good to know from someone else that just doing it manually really does yield the best results. still though, I was hoping to find that this video would give me a kickass way to really quickly get spot-on tracks. ;)

that said, it'd still be a helluva lot faster if I was as quick as you are in the vid!
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Sean, besides knowing how to use DP, you've got a good ear.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

b.g. wrote:Sean, besides knowing how to use DP, you've got a good ear.
+1111!

Thanks, Sean.

Your 8 minutes (for me) is probably gonna save me hours of manual reading and "messing around".

Very cool...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Used this function a lot since seeing your video - very helpful and DP's autotune is very good and easy to use for tuning tweaks - haven't used it as an effect yet - but cleaning up vocals and bass it has worked really better than I would have thought - so thanks for the tip
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
cris is bliss

Post by cris is bliss »

Did i miss something.
You only showed your movement, a little explanation of exactly what and why would have been nice.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Wow, thanks for all the comments guys.

And the compliments too, with regards your ear I think it's just something you develop. The more your tune the more you hear. I think also you have to stand back and check you're not getting sucked into the "tune for the sake of it trap".

As I mentioned in the video I'm a firm believer in making it "less wrong" not necessarily right.

Play some modern records then listen to some old 70's stuff and jeeezzz listen to how "out of tune" some of the vocals. They're still great records though and with the exception of a few they are almost always great performances and I think this is the crux of it. Saving a good performance is what all this tuning nonsense is about. I'm gonna be doing an article on my Intonational Rescue site and also on the web on this very topic.

The downside to all of this is, nowadays I can't listen to my old Led Zep vinyls without hearing all of Plant's dodgy notes.

But you know what, he's still "God" as far as I'm concerned!

Cheers guys and happy tuning!

Sean Kenny

http://www.intonationalrescue.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

cris is bliss wrote:Did i miss something.
You only showed your movement, a little explanation of exactly what and why would have been nice.
Hi Cris

Just read this and I think you have a point, a client of mine who has since become a friend said the very same thing to me about it being a little more in detail with more explanation. The reason is this video was originally done as a promo vid for my Intonational Rescue website and as an after thought I uploaded it here. I may however do a more in depth vid for Motunation, there are a few tips to watch out when using pitch automation.

Thanks for the feedback

PS any pointers are welcome, I may include them in the vid

Cheers

Sean Kenny

http://www.intonationalrescue.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cris is bliss wrote:Did i miss something.
I know you don't mean it this way, but look around at this section of the forum and look at how many people have bothered to take the time to contribute a video tutorial thus far. Not that many. Please make suggestions if you like, but keep it in mind that users who post tutorials here do so out of the goodness of their own hearts and a generous nature to help other users. So couch the criticism with some gratitude whenever possible.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
midiw

Post by midiw »

Wow, that was a great demo. It seems to be my answer to many many bad vocal tracks i have recorded and have covered up with other MAS and third party plugs/effects.

How do i get to that plug because i took a peak into the MAS folder ( DP7 ) and can't see that "DP's Pitch Automation" plug .

I have not disabled or moved any MAS plug's.
Mac OS: Mojave
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

midiw wrote:How do i get to that plug because i took a peak into the MAS folder ( DP7 ) and can't see that "DP's Pitch Automation" plug .
It's not a plug-in.
You access it via the menu's and the SE. In the roll menu in SE where it says 'soundbites' roll down and choose 'pitch'... It's all in the manual ;-)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Its all in the manual - but I haven't read all the manual. So vid's like this are brilliant - its the kind of thing you will use a lot but not if you don't know how easy it is. This vid shows you how intuitive it is. I'm afraid I fall asleep when trying to read the manual - a vid like this means you can go and reference the manual for more detail. But it is a great starting point - thanks again for showing how easy it is. Use the manual for more detail.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

What he's saying is that sometimes people don't know pitch isn't a plug because THEY DON'T HAVE THE MANUAL! :arrrr: