score for feature film, who submits cue sheets for BMI

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: score for feature film, who submits cue sheets for BMI

Post by mikehalloran »

>Can you be a member of both PRS's? .<

Read the Uniform Consent Decree: Only one PRO at a time. Most switch the entire catalog like when Bob Dylan and Neil Diamond jumped to SESAC, John Fogarty went to BMI or John Lennon to ASCAP.

But... it is possible to have your old catalog with one PRO and anything newer than a certain date with another. Elton John and Johnny Cash are two examples - in both cases, ASCAP members whose early work is still BMI. When asked why, Elton replied, "I like ASCAP".

>I knew a major-ish band whose two main co-writers were with different PRS's<

Quite common. Until a few years ago, there was "a major-ish band" called The Beatles ... or something like that. Originally BMI, three of the writers jumped to ASCAP, for the last few years it's "All Together Now".

>Maybe we should start our own PRO: B-MOTUCAP???<

Only if you can fool everyone into thinking you were formed before 1939. Again, read the Uniform Consent Decree. Only the three who existed before 1939 are allowed to do business here: ASCAP (1914), SESAC (1930) BMI (1939).

>'m all for switching to ASCAP - my favorite PRO and my peeps.<

No argument from me. I am a member since 1986.

The above opinions are my own and based on information freely available to the public in print and on the web.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Both ASCAP and BMI have told me if I switch my catalogue could suffer income losses. Do it again? Probably ASCAP, but BMI has been VERY good to me as well. I can't complain.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Neil Diamond once said that film composers generally did better with BMI. Since he was with ASCAP at the time and later switched to SESAC, i don't know the source of his information.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro