sequencer NOTE OFF problem

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

davidb63
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

sequencer NOTE OFF problem

Post by davidb63 »

Hey SSP.. I found an easier way to reproduce the trouble, so I thought I'd post it. One last ditch effort. :dance:

I uploaded a video here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KmrvTNas0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll need to pop out the video and use 720 to see it.. crappy video job!

1) setup project with a synth in a rack
2) setup your controller to have two keys trigger the same note
3) set bars to 16 to give yourself time to create the problem
4) hit record and play quarter notes from the two keys in unison.

You'll be recording the same note twice each time.. it shouldn't take long before the NOTE OFF stops working. Afterwads, it doesn't matter what you do, but that note will note record a NOTE OFF until you restart the program.
davidb63

Re: sequencer NOTE OFF problem

Post by davidb63 »

Note: You will still hear the note sound as normal while recording, even though you will notice note length change in the sequencer window.. on playback you will HEAR the difference.
davidb63

Post by davidb63 »

Well.. now I'm wondering now if I should think about selling my copy of BPM. I love it, except for the fact that I can't use it with my GI-20 interface. This isn't so important for simple parts, but for lead parts, it's a must.. for me. The status of my official support ticket is still unread.. though it's only been 5 days. Not sure how long these normally take to get read. If I thought this is something that would be fixed in the near future, I would consider keeping it, but since the problem will probably only be noticed by someone using a pitch to MIDI guitar interface, I have my doubts. On the other hand, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Starr Labs new MIDI controller, release date is yet unknown.. This unit isn't pitch to MIDI, so the problem shouldn't exist with it.. I have looked at some of the 3rd party software solutions that can do scripting for MIDI application, but I'm not too good with scripting :(
ssp

Post by ssp »

David I will pass your issue onto the guys at U.V.I now. I am hoping that I will hear something for you within the next day or so if thats ok.

There is not a great deal I can do for you I am afraid and for that I am very sorry, hopefully someone at Motu or UVI will come up with a suitable suggestion or fix.

Dont give in just yet, I have not stopped trying by not posting, I am talking with people about your situation and did not want to post up until I had some news.

Stick in there for now if you can.

thanks

ssp

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
davidb63

Post by davidb63 »

No worries man. Thanks for taking the time. I'm hopeful and will wait to see what happens. I'm planning on getting the new starr labs controller once it's avail., but this may be a few more months. In the mean time, I can still use BPM with my keyboard and do lead parts in Sonar.

---

edit: just wondering, how long does it normally take for a support ticket to show something other than 'unread'? I submitted a ticket about this trouble on Sept 5th which still shows a status of 'unread'... :?
ssp

Post by ssp »

david, when you open bpm as a plug-in in your normal sequencer and repeat the test in that sequencer do you have the same issue?

can you check it for me? if not can you then take that recorded MIDI file and open it in bpm and see what happens.

thanks

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
davidb63

Post by davidb63 »

ssp wrote:david, when you open bpm as a plug-in in your normal sequencer and repeat the test in that sequencer do you have the same issue?

can you check it for me? if not can you then take that recorded MIDI file and open it in bpm and see what happens.

thanks
Yes, I tested that right off the bat. Problem is seen in standalone & vst, boh 64 and 32 bit versions. It's very easy to reproduce. At least for me. Just assign two keys to the same note (C1 for instance) and then setup a rack with 16 or 32 bars, record 4th or 8th notes in time and in unison on the two keys.. recording the same note over and over. Eventually the NOTE OFF will stop recording. Everything will sound normal while playing/recording, but you can notice the notes lenghths change.. where the NOTE OFF stops recording. Of course playback is then whacked :) Again, this is probably something most would never see.. but because of my glitchy GI-20... :banghead: lol.