Hip Hop Soundbank CD's

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

RhythmRmixd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hip Hop Soundbank CD's

Post by RhythmRmixd »

What are some of the simplest soundbank & sample CD-Roms that convert seamlessly into Machfive? I'm looking for large soundbank discs that people have had quick & easy success with as far as converting into Machfive soundbanks. I do mostly hip-hop and rap, any suggestions?
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 / 4.5 GB RAM
OSX.4.11 DP 5.13
producerx

Re: Hip Hop Soundbank CD's

Post by producerx »

I've been able to convert almost every format available to Machfive. I really like S1000 and Emu sounds. There are a few MPC hip hop kits available that are cool in Machfive.

X
Tascam DM-24/G4-dual 1 GHz withDual 19" Monitors/15" Powerbook 1ghz Apple Power PC G3-300/2 MOTU 2408's /Mackie HR824s/Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro Platnum/2 RODE NT1000s/MOTU DP 4.52/Propeller Heads Reason 2.5/MOTU Machfive
chrispick
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by chrispick »

If you Google search, you'll find a lot of free old drum machine patches (Boss, Roland, Alesis, etc.) converted to either Akai or Giga samples -- which you can port into MachFive. Great for old school flavor.

And check out Big Fish Audio's site. They seem to have a lot of "urban" sample discs.

Consider looking at Stylus RMX and/or Reason, if hip hop's your bread and butter. Both have excellent loops, hits, etc. I use the "vinyl"-style loops in Reason to layer in a track and they're great.

Man, I just love Reason. My kind of app. And when I first got it I was pretty skeptical as to its use. Not anymore.

<small>[ March 08, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: chrispick ]</small>
RhythmRmixd

Post by RhythmRmixd »

Well, I went out and forked up $200 for Native Instruments' Battery 2, mainly because I was lacking in the drum samples area. It came with 3.5 GB of drum sounds which appealed to me, compared to running around and trying to find drum sample cd's compatible with M5. I'll probably use battery for my drums and percussion and keep MachFive around for pads, strings, and synths. I guess I'm just trying to avoid having too many instrument plugs so I don't bog my system down during sessions.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 / 4.5 GB RAM
OSX.4.11 DP 5.13