Drag multiple audio files from soundbites to tracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
gslawson
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gslawson »

I have been using DP on and off for sequencing for about 10 years, but recently I have been starting to try to move from ProTools to DP 7.2 for audio work as well. I am mixing multi track recordings from a live concert recorded on an Alesis HR 24. I brought the files into DP 7.2, and I would like to highlight them all, and then drag them to the tracks window or sequence window and have them placed on the 24 tracks I have created. When I try this, all the files just go into 1 track on top of each other. There is a preference in Pro Tools to allow vertical or horizontal placement in tracks from the bin. Is there a similar preference in DP? I have read the manual, searched the forums, but I can not find ANY reference to dragging multiple files from the soundbite window to tracks. Any ideas?
Grant
Averley Media
Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 1 tb, 64gb, 48 gpu, DP 11.2, PT Studio, Nuendo 12, Logic 10, EWQL, Spitfire Audio, Trillian, RMX Stylus, Waves Horizon, Mach 5, Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3, SSL UF8, ADAM A7v, other goodies.
stephentayler

Re: Drag multiple audio files from soundbites to tracks

Post by stephentayler »

Hi there!

The best way of doing this is to open a blank sequence, i.e. with no tracks.

Highlight all the soundbites you want from the Soundbites list and drag them into the left-hand pane of the tracks overview.

Not only does this create and place the tracks for you, it also names the tracks according to the soundbite names.

Sheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Are you dropping the SBs in the left or in the right part of the TO window?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
gslawson

Post by gslawson »

[quote="FMiguelez"].

Are you dropping the SBs in the left or in the right part of the TO window?[/quote]

I am dropping them in the right part of the window. From your question I assume the answer is drop them on the LEFT side of the window and voila?
Grant
Averley Media
Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 1 tb, 64gb, 48 gpu, DP 11.2, PT Studio, Nuendo 12, Logic 10, EWQL, Spitfire Audio, Trillian, RMX Stylus, Waves Horizon, Mach 5, Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3, SSL UF8, ADAM A7v, other goodies.
gslawson

Post by gslawson »

[size=85][quote="stephentayler"]Hi there!

Highlight all the soundbites you want from the Soundbites list and drag them into the left-hand pane of the tracks overview.

Not only does this create and place the tracks for you, it also names the tracks according to the soundbite names.

Sheers

Stephen[/quote]
[/size]

Thanks for that! Unfortunately the tracks in the HR 24 are named for {project} and then track number. I created a template with the proper instrument names, but the left hand window is the key. Thanks so much for the rapid response. May I just say that this site and the people on it are tremendous. I use the four major programs because after 25 years of music composition, starting on the Atari ST, I ended up owning just about everything. I have kept up the surviving programs, and used the forums for them all. Motunation is the best for PRO level support and discussions. I am moving rapidly back to DP because it allows me the freedom to use any hardware I like, the scoring tools are great, and it seems to be very stable. Again, thanks for fast response.
Grant
Averley Media
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

I also started with an Atari STE, I also have an Alesis HD 24 for live recordings, yes, I use to drag all 24 file to the left in the SE so there will be 24 tracks made in DP, I also use(d) "all" known DAWs ever made. I also use DP as my main DAW, I dislike the PT limitations and policy.
Have been using DP as my main DAW for about 10 year now, I visit Motunation every day, I´m feeling blessed working with DP everyday and frankly I do not understand why so many others do not use DP!!
DP is everything I ever wanted in a DAW.
Just my 2 cents :woohoo:
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Radiogal wrote:...I´m feeling blessed working with DP everyday and frankly I do not understand why so many others do not use DP!!
DP is everything I ever wanted in a DAW.
+1

That says it all: DP is everything I ever wanted in a DAW. And I better not hear anything about low expectations! ;) To the contrary, I'm extremely particular about the tools I use for MIDI and audio. It's just that DP has those. Extraordinarily so. And now that Andy (AmpGUI) has practically created the MOTU Themes feature, I get to have it just the way I want it! It's like getting extra toppings on the pizza!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
tikibars

Post by tikibars »

Hi

I am looking to do something similar... I have 120 very short soundbites that I need lined up on one audio track. Dropping them all onto the track at once results in them all being placed at the beginning of the track, on top of each other.

How can I drop them all onto a track and get them to line up in order?

Have been researching the manual, the forums, browsing menus and preferences, and just trying random modifier keys, and can't crack this. Should be a simple matter, right?

thanks
J.
cheers -

James T.
http://www.tydirium.net
martian
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by martian »

use protools then...

it has a function for that I believe...

I have several DAW's in my arsenal - live - reason - PT 9 and DP 7

each has different strengths..

you can export the resulting seq from PT as OMF and bring it back into DP if you want some of the advantages DP has for different processes.

BTW - must say I am curious - what are these sound bites and what you trying to do?
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

Do the Soundbites have Time Stamps? If yes, drag them all at once to the destination track where they bunch up at first bar, select them all and in the Audio menu, use Move to Original Time Stamp and they will snap to their correct location. This assumes that you first set the start time for the sequence in DP equal to that of the original source
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
martian

Post by martian »

thats true.

I've used that often when being supplied many stems of movie reels

drag in r1 dilog, sfx music ditto r 2,3 4, 5

quite impressive for one keystroke..

but this question the Op asks is one of protools modes that DP doesnt have...

My fave PT trick is being able to rename a "soundbite" and the audio file in one go from the seq editor window ( as a DP user would call it )
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

frankf

Post by frankf »

martian wrote:
thats true.
but this question the Op asks is one of protools modes that DP doesnt have...
Yes this feature would be a life saver if there were no time stamps in the SBs (regions) did Op reply if there were in his project? There are unfortunately only convoluted ways to do this in DP 7.24 that I've used:

1. Drag each SB from the SB window into the track holding the Control key to place them end to end.
2. Drag each SB from the SB window to the track's event list without the Cmd key. (this places them back to back ala hold the Cmd key and dragging to the SE window). Set the 2 windows right next to each other for easier dragging.
3. Drag all the SBs into the left pane of the SE to create 1 track per SB. Then drag one by one the SBs you want to the "comp" track, making sure they don't overlap. Then select all in the "comp track" and use Region>Set Gap Between Soundbites command. This command does not work with overlapping SBs, as, according to the manual, overlapping SBs are treated as one SB. Then, you have all the empty original tracks to delete.

Both are a drag (sorry), I like #2 myself. It's faster for me. But I think it depends on the number of SBs you want to drag to one track. I forget how many the OP was talking about. Also, I use #3 if I'm building a "comp" track from different source SBs and want the sources to be visible in th SB window. In this case I opt-drag them to the "comp" track to make copies and keep the sources in place. But I'm digressing, sorry
martian wrote:
My fave PT trick is being able to rename a "soundbite" and the audio file in one go from the seq editor window ( as a DP user would call it )
This would be useful if you were absolutely sure there were no differently named Soundbites (PT Regions) in that file, but I'd welcome the option. The current method in DP7.24 is to select/show the SB in the Soundbites window ( a key command from any edit window) and change the SB name there, then copy/paste to the file name column of the SB window. If the feature to "copy SB name to file name" and "copy File name to SB name" were limited to the SB window where you can see an overview, I'd love it more.
All of these suggestions are, of course, in the "work with what you've got" category to get it done in current DP.
Frank
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

gslawson wrote:
stephentayler wrote:Hi there!

Thanks for that! Unfortunately the tracks in the HR 24 are named for {project} and then track number. I created a template with the proper instrument names, but the left hand window is the key. Thanks so much for the rapid response.
Drag them first into a blank sequence as Stephen suggested. If needed, rearrange the tracks to be in the same order as the tracks in the properly named sequence. Select and copy the tracks and paste them in the properly named sequence timeline.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:Drag them first into a blank sequence as Stephen suggested. If needed, rearrange the tracks to be in the same order as the tracks in the properly named sequence. Select and copy the tracks and paste them in the properly named sequence timeline.
Do Clippings retain the track names? I'd think you could drag the tracks from Clippings into where you want them, and they'd have the name and order as the original, making it easy to paste into them.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
martian

Post by martian »

honestly I'm racking my brains to work out what the op wants to do?

I've worked in audio post for 18 years and never come across the need for this.

maybe it is just my limited range of experience.. ( almost 100% tv / film post. )

can anyone satisfy my curiosity.. :P

frank - yep thats how I change file names on hard drive too

all tho Its almost easier to name the track and merge if thats what you after...

point recognised about the offspring soundbites..

think PT has a modifier key or it only works on clips with no other offspring..

its great for SFX work - wow I made a cool whoosh ! lets keep it.,

I do drag stuff to the finder and name it.. but its annoying if you drag the clippings back in,, cos it reverts back to the useful "track one" or what ever it was called