Ribbon mic

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
andymcafee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ribbon mic

Post by andymcafee »

I have tested a good selection of large diaphragm condensers, but I've never tested a ribbon mic. I stumbled across the Nady RSM-2 and the Electro-Harmonix EH-R1 on the internet and am interested. I have no way to test either of these mics. What are the benefits of using a ribbon mic over a really good condenser or tube mic?
Henry Robinett

Re: Ribbon mic

Post by Henry Robinett »

Ribbon tends to be smoother and is favored by many in the digital medium because of this. The highs are not generally as drastic and definitely not brittle. Sometimes you have to boost a little in the mix with eq. I love them myself. I have both the AEA 84 and the Royer 121 and I swear by them. They're great on guitar both acoustic and electric, horns, especially trumpet, soprano and alto where the high end can be rather bright and cutting; for smooth vocals. Because of the ribbon element they're a little sensitive so you don't want someone blowing directly into it.

I haven't heard the Nady, but apparently someone is cloning these. A lot of manufacturers seem to be selling the same mic at a good price. I've heard good things about it/them.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
andymcafee

Post by andymcafee »

What do you mean someone is cloning the Nady?
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I knew I was going to get in trouble for my lazy writing. I don't mean cloning. I mean there's a manufacturer, apparently, making the same mic for various companies.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
m2

Post by m2 »

What are the benefits of using a ribbon mic over a really good condenser or tube mic?
Posts: 51 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

A recent experience [today] involved a 'good condenser' - a Neumann M149, and a ribbon mic - AEA R84, while recording percussion. I had a guy playing an american Indian drum very much like a Djembe. I was wanting to get the low resonance from the drum as well as the attack. With the M149 [I know you're all saying 'what the hell was he doing with that mic in the first place' but I had just had it up recording something and was too lazy too go get something else] When we did a pass on this drum there was all this attack/hand sound but the low end was GONE - I mean like I had a very steep 150k roll off. Gone - nothing to be even faintly heard, Mind you the room would ring after each hit from the low end resonance from this drum. I put the R84 on it about a foot off the head and lowered the M149 to the about 6 in off the floor, pointed down just to get reflection of the low end drone that this drum makes and YO, we had it! So sometimes a mic responds to freq. that others do not. And mind you the M149 is a very sweet mic on many things

Oh, and totally ditto on what Henry Robinett said about this subject. [I always like the way he thinks!]
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
Charles Fairfax

Post by Charles Fairfax »

Hi,
I am still using an old Reslo Rbbon (30/50 ohms),type RB, from 1963. It still gives excellent quality sound reproduction. It needs good transducers to do it justice.To get the best from it one requires the set of acoustic correction pads that were supplied at purchase and attention to positioning is important .
aboutfaceaudio

Post by aboutfaceaudio »

I second that attention to positioning. I have a Royer 121 and I used it quite recently up around the fretboard on an acoustic guitar along with a U87 somewhere along the f holes. Nice (here comes that cliche of a word) 'warm' sound. balances the U87 somewhat.