7.02 to 7.12? Worth it?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hrw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 7.02 to 7.12? Worth it?

Post by hrw »

Tonio wrote:
hrw wrote:Has anyone, who like me, has been staying in DP 7.02 because of stability issues tried 7.12 yet?
Any better? I find 7.02 rock solid for me and MY system but not 7.1 or 7.11.
Love to hear any reports. Thanks.
Just jumped from 7.02 to 7.12 on the weekend. Have'nt taken it through the paces yet, however.

T
Hi Tonio,
did you have issues with 7.1 and 7.11?
Let me know how it goes with 7.12. i'm in the middle of a lot of work at the moment so i might wait to here some more reports from 7.02 guys like us. Thanks.
Computer/s: OSX 10.8.3

2 x 2.66 GHz Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/ 16GB RAM,

DAW:DP8.05
Hardware: Apogee Duet
VI's/Plug-ins:
Kontakt 5.1, EW PLAY Libraries and a
million others.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

hrw wrote:
Tonio wrote:
hrw wrote:Has anyone, who like me, has been staying in DP 7.02 because of stability issues tried 7.12 yet?
Any better? I find 7.02 rock solid for me and MY system but not 7.1 or 7.11.
Love to hear any reports. Thanks.
Just jumped from 7.02 to 7.12 on the weekend. Have'nt taken it through the paces yet, however.

T
Hi Tonio,
did you have issues with 7.1 and 7.11?
Let me know how it goes with 7.12. i'm in the middle of a lot of work at the moment so i might wait to here some more reports from 7.02 guys like us. Thanks.
hrw, no issues on 7.1 or 7.11-never installed- I literally made the jump to 7.12.

I have a copy of 7.1. but I cannot get 7.11. Normally I download all updates, but missed 7.11??

Been busy moving etc etc, and got sidetracked, so updated to OSX10.6.2 and downloaded DP7.12.

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
hrw

Post by hrw »

Ok. Have been using 7.12 for 2 days and it has been all good. Nice one MOTU. Dig it!
BTW ordered a new 2.66GHz Nehalem w/ 16GB RAM. Should arrive in a few weeks. Can't wait, had to tell someone! Thanks guys.

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
hrw

Post by hrw »

BTW i'm so happy to have autosave. I've been wanting it in DP for years!

VI's/Plug-ins:
million others.
jpiscitello
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jpiscitello »

I have to say it's a complete, unmitigated disaster for me. The program is crashing literally every 3 minutes. Never on playback. It's always on editing MIDI data in either the sequence editor or graphic editor; or on changing output assignments on Aux tracks.

I've never seen the program so unstable. And I've been around since DP 1.6.
magicd

Post by magicd »

jpiscitello wrote:I have to say it's a complete, unmitigated disaster for me. The program is crashing literally every 3 minutes. Never on playback. It's always on editing MIDI data in either the sequence editor or graphic editor; or on changing output assignments on Aux tracks.

Let's take a look at a crash log.

User directory>Library>Logs>Crash Reporter>Digital Performer Crash Log

Send that file to me at magicd@motu.com

Dave
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

jpiscitello wrote:I have to say it's a complete, unmitigated disaster for me. The program is crashing literally every 3 minutes. Never on playback. It's always on editing MIDI data in either the sequence editor or graphic editor; or on changing output assignments on Aux tracks.

That's not the app, but some problem in a number of possible things. It could be spoiled VI configurations, bad plugins, or possibly prefs, but it sounds like one of the first two. If it happens when you switch your active track to another track, then look at the instrument/plugins in that track. remove them and see if it still does that. If you start by removing the instrument, and if you can then edit the notes, then try simply replacing the instrument with a new config. (can be exactly what it was before, by "new" I just mean --newly made) That should work then. If the problem is in a plugin either on the instrument track, or on its Aux return track, then you'll need to remove each plugin individually to test it. Once you find it, you can try replacing the plugin. If it still does it, the plugin is either outdated or corrupted. If it plays ok after plugin replacement, then it was corruption of the plugin setup. Resetting it probably fixed it.

Those are my guesses, anyway. If it's not there, call back and we'll see if we can take this another level deeper.

Shooshie

PS: Other candidates include mis-matched software, drivers, 3rd-party apps, bad RAM (not likely), garbled MIDI messages from your MIDI rack, and things we can't even imagine yet.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|