Recording a trio

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Nama
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording a trio

Post by Nama »

Hi,

I'm recording 2 Trios in 2 weeks for a CD, and I was wondering if I could get some help with the project here.

Both groups have the same instrumentation. Alto Saxophones, Piano, and Drums. The piano is a Kawai grand piano. (Black and a very big one)
They are both pretty dynamic. Loud and quiet.

This is currently a low budget project, and I only have these mikes listed below. Could you suggest what mikes I should use for what instruments and why? I have my ideas as to what I should use, but I would like your input. I would really appreciate!!

Rode, NT1000
Oktava MK 319
MK 012 x2
Rode, NT5s (matched pair)
AKG 1000 x2

Thanks.
Nama

Re: Recording a trio

Post by Nama »

Sorry to mention that this is not a live show recording, so I can put mikes anywhere I want.

Also, the saxophone player (great player) may be playing solo, too. What mikes would you use and where would you put?

Thanks. :)
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

Studio setting, live venue with no audience, or in concert?
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

Studio setting, live venue with no audience, or in concert?
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
Nama

Post by Nama »

Yes. small live venue (cap 150) with no audiences. Recording onto my laptop with the 828 using the 2 pres and 6 direct outs from the Mackie VLZ pro that they have at the venue.
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

Rode, NT1000
Oktava MK 319
MK 012 x2
Rode, NT5s (matched pair)
AKG 1000 x2

First I am hoping your Oktava MC012 is omni as you will need to capture the room if the room is desired. First set up the instrumentalists. If you can try to set up the kit facing the other two - so you have a triangle going. This is going to give you natural isolation with the position and cardiod microphones. Give them enough distance between the piano and sax from the kit. The idea here is to set up the Octava omni pair facing the sax and piano with the kit centered behind the L-R omni mics. So lets say your sax is on the right and the piano is on the left, the kit will still fall in the center behind the microphones. You can then use the positioning of the L-R omni mic's to get a natural balance of kit to instruments. Just physically move them. Also, place them about 10 feet up so you capture the room as well. Think three dimentional: front to back for balance, up and down for ambience. This is where most of your sound should come from.

Spot mics:
Sax - try between the Rode 1000 and the Oktava 319. take the one you like that sounds best. Don' stick it down the horn either - listen to the instrument and give it say two - three feet to breath.

Piano - use the rode NT 5's here in a stereo setting right off the curve of the piano. Get the lid open full.

Drums - just set up the AKG pair as either over heads or just over and front of the kit. Try for a good close balance again in a stereo setup.

The spot mics are just to sweeten the main L-R omni's, to give a bit more presence. You should record the mains with the 828 mic pre's and the rest with the 1604 if you can as the 828 will sound much better. Don't worry about bleed - it's a trio, and just a tweek of the spots will fix any mix problems you may encounter in the mixing stage. Just get good level on all the mic's - but watch for overs. Leave youself a 3dB head room in the loudest passages. You should be golden.

Best of luck.
:cool:
tsd3000
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by tsd3000 »

i find with pianos that it is harder to capture the bass and very easy to capture the cutting high end... I recomend micing up the low strings down the bottom, getting full round bass (even being a little dull), then winding in a little treble with eq... this can really help to create an even, full, smooth sounding piano.
JackMaverik

Post by JackMaverik »

I've heard using a stereo mic on piano garners really amazing results. You don't get great defination on the super high, or super low keys though.

But for great "overall" sound, micing a piano with a stereo mic around the middle of the strings, yeilds pretty bad ass results (i'm told).
Nama

Post by Nama »

Thank you everyone for the valuable suggestions.

draudio2u, the triangle positioning worked just fantastic.
It worked great. The performers made almost Equilateral triangle
Pianist and sax player facing the drums, and they said it felt very comfortable playing in that way.

Best
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

Glad to have been of use. Performers usually like playing in this configuration as it gives them an added sence to cue from - vision! :)

How did the mics perform?