Just another newbie with too many Q's

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
rabidmuppet
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Just another newbie with too many Q's

Post by rabidmuppet »

I'm definitely getting DP without a doubt. I am planning on getting a new G5 as well (super excited, stuck on this dumb windows box for now). My previous recording experience is from a digital stand alone Fostex VF80 8 track so as you can guess I have a fair amount of things to learn, so here goes with the Q's. (i know I know, roll your eyes and point me to FAQ if you want, I wont blame you!!! :D )

I will be getting a Firepod (unless one of you folks has a very good persuasion skill). Will I NEED anything else aside from the firepod, computer, and DP to start recording? I'm sure there are plenty of add ons I could throw into the mix but I am concerned about necessity.

I will be recording an electronic drum set using stereo instrument outs not MIDI out, bass, guitars, and vocals. I noticed on the front of the Firepod there are 2 mic/instrument ins. What kind of freaky plug is that??? Will I need a pricey pre amp? My mic has an XLR plug, can I still use it or do they make adapters? I also noticed there are standard music cord plugs in the back but I am assuming I cant just plug my guitar/drums right into this puppy without some kind of direct in box or pre amp. Am I right?

In your opinion what is the single addition to your recording rig that you cant live without aside from the bare bones basics and why?

Thanks for listening to me ramble and any input would be great. I look forward to discussing all sorts of stuff with you folks in the future.

TTFN

Charps

P.S. I have a johnson J-station amp simulator/effects processor. Can I just run my guitar/bass through that?

<small>[ July 07, 2005, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: rabidmuppet ]</small>
stax

Re: Just another newbie with too many Q's

Post by stax »

I like the 828 mkII, it has lightpipe, and spdif.
The connections on the front are for Instrument (ex. guitar, bass,etc.) input on 1/4" cable...OR mic on xlr. Do not plug line level inputs to the combo input on the front, it's bad for preamps. Plug line level sources to the rear.
rabidmuppet

Post by rabidmuppet »

heheh thanks for a reply! Thats a good start on my q's but with all the experts around here I figured id get a better amount of responses by now! :D I have come to the conclusion that I am going to nix the firepod and get a 828mkII. I found a sweet package deal of the 828 and DP 4.5 for a little over 1k!!! what a steal! Anyone else got any input? Thanks.
glsimonsen

Post by glsimonsen »

I don't know about the firepod's inputs, but check the manufacturer's specs or look at a picture. I believe most of the interfaces at that price point have a lot of inputs. You're probably looking for XLR or Nuetrick (combines XLR and 1/4"), 1/4" line inputs, and HiZ inputs which are for plugging a guitar for direct recording rather than going thru an amp. I'm sure the firepod has pretty good preamps on board which means you don't really need any extra boxes unless you're really going pro/audiophile.

Also, you did'nt mention monitors which you'll need rather than computer speakers. good luck, glenn