Eathworks DrumKit opinions

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
niccolo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Eathworks DrumKit opinions

Post by niccolo »

Hi,
i'm about to buy a DrumKit recording set and would like to gather some opinions about it. (qo speak up!)
in particular i'd like to know how useful are the three mics in application other than drums: i.e. has anyone used the TC25 pair to record orchestral music or other distant sources? what about guitars? winds? in other words could be a tc25 paired with a good preamp (sytek) comparable to a similar-freq-range qtc mic?
please note that this thread should preferably not discuss the benefits of minimalist drum mic'ing against close mic'ing, but the actual value of the kit itself.

thanks a lot!

niccolo' gallio
PPC G5 2.5 Ghz, Duende PCIe, Metric Halo 2882 DSP, dreadlocks no more.
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Eathworks DrumKit opinions

Post by BradLyons »

There are many techniques when it comes to recording drums. And depending on the style of music you're recording, some techniques work better than others. But the one constant is there are no rules. I've recorded kits from small to massive, jazz to hard rock and progressive rock. When I'm recording Jazz, I typically like a Kick, Snare, Stereo Overheads, and a room mic or two. If I'm doing progressive rock, I have a mic on EVERY drum, Hat and Ride, OVerheads, room mics, and double mics on kick AND snare.

I am a big fan of Earthworks mics, I'm using a pair of TC30K's as overheads. In addition, I use a pair of Royer R121's as room mics. I'm currently using an Audix D6 inside the kick with a Royer R121 on the outside, however I'm picking up a Mojave MA200 soon to use on the outside of the kick to get a little more thump. Preamps and Compressors are just as important as the mics, however. They really do have a significant impact on the sound. As for the TC30K's, I've also used them on Strings, Choirs, etc...although I prefer the Royer's for that personally.
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS