Need some help with vibrato

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

lamboguy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need some help with vibrato

Post by lamboguy »

Hi Folks,

I'm playing a simple clarinet part with MSI and am not having any luck with the vibrato. I click on the vibrato button and get plenty of vibrato, but there's not delay, it comes right on, I'd think a second or so before the vibrato starts would be nice.

What am I doing wrong? The manual is not much help I'm afraid.

Thanks!

Fred
Mac Mini 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3 | OSX 10.5.6 | Lacie mini ext-HD 160GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm | DP 5.11 | Ivory | TruePiano | MOTU MSI | Kontakt | iMic audio i/o | M-Audio Keystation 88es | Stewart PA-100B PowerAmp | Yamaha NS-10M monitors | http://soundcloud.com/fredparoutaud/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FMiguelez

Re: Need some help with vibrato

Post by FMiguelez »

I am not familiar with that library, but if they are two separate patches, perhaps you can find a way to "blend" them in?

Like if you put the mod wheel all the way down is 100% non-vib. The wheel 100% up is vib. Anywhere in the middle would let you fake a progressive vibrato, or delay it until you want it.

My question for you would be, is that doable with that library?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hugy »

lamboguy wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm playing a simple clarinet part with MSI and am not having any luck with the vibrato. I click on the vibrato button and get plenty of vibrato, but there's not delay, it comes right on, I'd think a second or so before the vibrato starts would be nice.

What am I doing wrong? The manual is not much help I'm afraid.

Thanks!

Fred
You should check the wheel (w button below the depth button) button so you can adjust the vibrato depth manually using the mod wheel.

Hope this helps.
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Well, it appears to be just a mod wheel sorta thing, but I was hoping for more than that. It's designed as a "Symphonic Instrument" -- and symphonic instruments don't use mod wheels! :lol:

Maybe I'll write MOTU...I have to be missing something, it's just a solid clarinet note, and if you click on vibrato, then it's a wavy clarinet note.

Fred
Mac Mini 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4Gb 1067 MHz DDR3 | OSX 10.5.6 | Lacie mini ext-HD 160GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm | DP 5.11 | Ivory | TruePiano | MOTU MSI | Kontakt | iMic audio i/o | M-Audio Keystation 88es | Stewart PA-100B PowerAmp | Yamaha NS-10M monitors | http://soundcloud.com/fredparoutaud/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

If you don't have a patch like a "Progressive Vibrato", or Light Vibrato, then you are out of luck and all you can do is "emulate" it by using one of the suggested methods. There may be better ways to do that for your particular library, but you only have so many recorded instrument samples, and that's what you have to work with (depending on the patches the library has).
lamboguy wrote:Well, it appears to be just a mod wheel sorta thing, but I was hoping for more than that. It's designed as a "Symphonic Instrument" -- and symphonic instruments don't use mod wheels! :lol:
Are you kidding? I use that all the time. A lot of VSL patches use the modwheel to achieve a lot of things (vibrato-non-vibrato, dynamic layers such as pp to ff, etc.).

It's just a way to make them progressive and not have those sudden jumps you are experiencing.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman