first night blues...please teach us

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
jeffreykloss
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

first night blues...please teach us

Post by jeffreykloss »

My friends and i played tonight...

of course, we could get signals through the front inputs, but even those signals weren't Strong...

I am so lost.

we could not get anything useable through the back analog inputs.

*1st question Unicornation: should it be possible to plug an amped guitar into the back input, crank it and play and get something useable? or is something else required?

the Qick Ref Rear Panel page in the MOTU book says these inputs are best used for "...instruments w/ine level signals."

what does that mean? can i not simply plug a couple drum mics, guitar amps, etc into the back 8 inputs and get sound to record?

my buddies are flying in to play music with me in a month and I really feel lost tonight. I will be grateful if you'll help get me started.

i know i'm dumb...

thanks for the help

jeff
twistedtom

Re: first night blues...please teach us

Post by twistedtom »

Line level is what comes out of a mixxer or preamp, ect. I do not fully understand what you are trying to do, are you recording your band? That is the only thing I would do. You need to set up your band through a pa,and run sub mixxes or direct outs to your interface for recording.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
jeffreykloss

Post by jeffreykloss »

Thanks Twisted...

I stupidly thought that the MOTU would be all that was needed... that i could plug in analog Inputs-- a couple drum mics, bass amp, couple guitars-- right into MOTU

I have an old Soundcraft Live mixer. Can i run the afforementioned mics etc through this, and then The Soundcraft goes to MOTU?

I know so little I don't even know what i don't know!

thanks Twisted for the first push in the right direction...

jeff

<small>[ June 09, 2005, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: jeffreykloss ]</small>
WKWizard

Post by WKWizard »

What MOTU interface are you using?

Are you using a direct out from the guitar/bass amps?

Depending on how many XLR inputs you have, you may need to run mics through the board and either use the direct outs, aux outs or sub outs.

Just think of "line signal" (-4) as the weaker signal vs. the "instrument signal" (+10). Some interfaces have switches to accommodate to the appropriate signal strength.
jeffreykloss

Post by jeffreykloss »

Thank You WKWizard

I have the 828mkII.

I was thinking I would put to XLR condenser mics in the front (for the two guys who sing)
Then just use the back 8 analog ¼ InPorts for 2 drum Mics, one old tube amp that doesn••™t have a direct out (so it••™s gotta be mic••™d too), one fender amp that does have a direct out, one bass amp, and a keyboard amp.

So after Twisted gave the Advice about using a PreAmp or Mixer••¦ I was all set to use my Soundcraft Live, run all the ¼s through it, then out from the mixer into MOTU••¦

I talked with a nice guy @ MOTU••™s tech support, and he advised that although the rear 8 inputs Aren••™t powered, I can access the Q Mix console, crank the ••œgain••
WKWizard

Post by WKWizard »

You're a bit confused. I recommend picking up a book or two and doing your homework via the web. Simply put, line level (-4) signals are found on most rack units and 1/4" connections on mixing boards, interfaces and so forth. Things like microphones, guitar, bass, effect pedals, amp inputs are +10...or hot!

Use your 2 XLR inputs on the 828 for mics or "hot" signals. Use the other 1/4" connections on the 828 either from direct outs, often found on bass amps for instance, or from the mixer.

I don't know if I'd use condenser mics for vocals in a jam/live situation. I'd rather use them as room mics and use vocal mics for vocals. But then again, the music and personal preference come into play here.

One warning: when plugging and unpluuging condenser mics, make sure the phantom power is off. If it's on while plugging/unplugging, it could damage the microphone.

Have fun!
jeffreykloss

Post by jeffreykloss »

WKWizard

You Rock! Thanks for being so Nice.... ••œyou••™re a bit confused,••