DP vs Garage Band and looping

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jimagine
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP vs Garage Band and looping

Post by jimagine »

msmith92 wrote:Basically I think GB is inferior to DP and when I think it has functions that seem more user friendly thatn DP it drives me crazy..and then I too get frustrated and have to ask you gurus wth am I missing. I just assume that DP can do something similar but my ignorance won't permit the operation.

I don't understand why people are taking rants so seriously..
No need for acrimony, to quote Mr. Davies...it's only music.

Here's the basic reality. Yes GB is inferior to DP as an integrated recording environment. Basically GB might be able to do 5% of what a professional producer/editor might need day to day. DP offers pretty much 100%.

But GB isn't intended to be an integrated recording studio, it's a cool little Apple freebie, What makes it so nice and snappy for looping little sections is the simple layout and the easy way loops come together. It's nice, and a good electronic musician can make it sound even nicer. But then they would get really bored and frustrated with all of it's limitations.

Using loops in DP is a different paradigm and a much more flexible system that simply requires you to be a bit more involved in the song construction - which is pretty much the idea of composition for most of us, I'm guessing - but it's all good, no matter how you make music, if it works for you.

But dragging a loop into DP and then telling it how many bars you want it to play is hardly challenging. Another big apples to apples advantage: DP is fast and eminently flexible for both sketching AND finishing music with loops, and VIs.
KEVORKIAN
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by KEVORKIAN »

jimagine wrote: No need for acrimony, to quote Mr. Davies...it's only music.

Here's the basic reality. Yes GB is inferior to DP as an integrated recording environment. Basically GB might be able to do 5% of what a professional producer/editor might need day to day. DP offers pretty much 100%.

But GB isn't intended to be an integrated recording studio, it's a cool little Apple freebie, What makes it so nice and snappy for looping little sections is the simple layout and the easy way loops come together. It's nice, and a good electronic musician can make it sound even nicer. But then they would get really bored and frustrated with all of it's limitations.

Using loops in DP is a different paradigm and a much more flexible system that simply requires you to be a bit more involved in the song construction - which is pretty much the idea of composition for most of us, I'm guessing - but it's all good, no matter how you make music, if it works for you.

But dragging a loop into DP and then telling it how many bars you want it to play is hardly challenging. Another big apples to apples advantage: DP is fast and eminently flexible for both sketching AND finishing music with loops, and VIs.
Well said, sir.

We need to remember that use of the term "looping" does not necessarily imply that you are using someone else's pre-recorded composition.

Someone may be looking to repeat and manipulate their own music for compositional purposes.

Part of the problem is that the term "loop" is ambiguous but is not necessarily related to an "Apple loop" file.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Newrigel wrote:Next, people will be screaming about wanting little plastic guitars so they can play rock star...
Wait! But doesn't that already exist? Guitar Hero!
I know someone who is famous in his "block" by being the best guitarist in the neighborhood. Trouble is, he can only do it when he plays GH, and he (and his friends) think he is a guitar player! No wonder he won't come near a real guitar :lol: :lol:

I think I should start looking for an app called Composer Hero. Or Piano Hero. Who has time to actually WRITE or play music anyway? :mrgreen:

Anyway, this thread is so... I don't know. What was the point? Oh, yes. That GB band is better for loops.

But I have to admit what Kevorkian just wrote is also true: looping doesn't necessarily mean looping other people's music. One can loop his own stuff. I've done it myself a few times. Also, there was another thread where some users posted examples of people who loop who are VERY creative and make some very cool stuff. BUT, when a Garage Bander says loops, they almost invariably mean other people's stuff, and more often than not, they are incapable of creating original music...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

KEVORKIAN wrote:
jimagine wrote: No need for acrimony, to quote Mr. Davies...it's only music.

Well said, sir.

We need to remember that use of the term "looping" does not necessarily imply that you are using someone else's pre-recorded composition.

Someone may be looking to repeat and manipulate their own music for compositional purposes.

Part of the problem is that the term "loop" is ambiguous but is not necessarily related to an "Apple loop" file.
I don't have a problem with anything here... it just gets old hearing about how "this can't do that like this one can" etc. There are other applications and I know that, I just wished others did and if they can't live with the way DP works just move on... If DP didn't work for me it would be in the trash in a NY second! Nothing gets in the way of my artistic focus and goals... NOTHING! If it don't work, it's trashed :twisted: ... were all grown ups here and it just takes a few seconds to think about what you really need, and if it doesn't have it but something else does, I know I wouldn't be ranking on MOTU about it, I'd be showing my people my new stuff because in the end... isn't that what it's all about... getting things done? If I sit around and worry about that DP doesn't sound like an Otari 2 inch I'm not going to get anywhere... so I don't. Command-c and v work universal in every application so...
msmith92
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by msmith92 »

my MIDI adventure is not to ever replace a human. my band tours the US constantly and is one of the most important aspects of my life. this project is simply an idea to create an outline for a new song and i found the said topic to be true. but w/e i'm simply gonna have to record live with the 10 real keyboards i own and give up on the MIDI because it just seems too complicated to get a quick work flow started with MIDI.

not worth it.
MOTU 2408MK3 (PCI-424) / MOTU 1296 / BLACKLION MICRO CLOCK / PRESONUS M80 / FOCUSRITE OCTOPRE / FOCUSRITE VOICEMASTER PRO/ PRESONUS CENTRAL STATION / UAD-1 (2)/ WAVES Platinum / PSP All PLUGS / IK Multimedia (All of them)/ DIGITAL PERFORMER 7.22 / PEAK Pro 6 / MACHFIVE 1.2.3 / DUAL G5 2.0 w/ 5 gigs Ram - OS 10.5.8 / RODE NT1 / RODE NTK / SHURE 57'S / SHURE 58'S / AKG C1000'S / SENNHEISER 421'S / SEINNHEISER E602 / BLUE BLUEBIRD/ BLUE SNOWBALL / AUDIX D2 (2) / EVENT TR8'S / WHARFDALE DIAMOND 6'S
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... break it up. I've had to do something I haven't done in years, and that's delete a whole bunch of posts of bickering. And for the record, I am sympathetic to the point of view of those who are tired of posts in general (not trying to characterize the OP's post this way) that are about "this DAW is better than that DAW" or complaining that DP isn't all things to all people. This is precisely why that these days when someone makes a stereotypical post about Logic doing something better, etc. I tell people to go be happy and use Logic, because at a certain point filling up the forum with this truly non-useful information/discussion is a waste of time/bandwidth/storage.

Any way, enough of the sniping if you don't mind. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!