It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:20 pm
   
Text Size

bpm hardware (update)

Moderators: James Steele, ssp

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby ssp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 pm

enot wrote:did you guys notice how sensitive the pads where i like that :D




pads sensitivity can be set in the menu by editing the event.
Website: http://www.plastikaudio.btinternet.co.uk/

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
ssp
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby Keys BeMe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:48 am

ssp wrote:its already done ;)

menu, load group/bank presets

each bank/group has saved edited settings for other features.
so you tab to group 2 from the main group one and on say group 2 you set certain buttons up for edit, cut, paste etc. then for the main bpm features you just tab back to them main preset group.

the whole system can have multiple and i mean as many as you like edited control settings for anything, hell you can even use the controller for any other softsynth, drum synth etc. its not just bpm related. its a totally user programmable generic controller surface that has onboard MIDI learn function, full cc#, note, meta event, sysex and command assignability to anything on the controller, be it a button , pad, encoder, anything can be assigned to anything.

the only thing that cant be done to it is.. well.. nothing.

it can also transmit full mmc (MIDI machine control) commands, i can also in a future case add a full mtc clock display an 8 digit display. so you can see the current time code display.


I've read all the posts and this is some interesting (as well as encouraging) news for BPM users! As a user of BPM also, I like many wondered what the software would be like mapped to hardware (the current electronic utopia - the perfect marriage of software to an intelligent, user friendly hardware controller). SSP, you're definetly to be commended for your efforts on this project (personal or business)!

I do have one question though and it was asked in an earlier post and even here and that is: 'since BPM (the software) can be used in 'stand alone' mode, (which includes full GRAPHIC EDITING of samples and loops) how would your hardware in its current rev (with what looks like a lcd window for text and numerical data only) address this if one wanted to use BPM hardware/software also as a STAND ALONE unit (like an MPC 5000 or MV8800?) Or is it just being designed as a hardware MIDI controller with the user doing ALL graphic editing ONLY from the software being run on a computer? You state in a future case, you could add a full mtc clock display and an 8 digit display so you can see the current time code but are you considering FULL ON GRAPHIC EDITING from the hardware as well? From what I gather so far, it seems its going to be a great MIDI controller for BPM and other software/hardware MIDI devices, just NO onboard GRAPHIC editing. Yes, No? I'm also running BPM inside of my OpenLabs Gen5 Miko mapped nicely to BPM. So the potential of what your doing would be great for current BPM users (if this goes to market that is) looking to take full advantage of all that the software has to offer.

Thanks for your reply, this is exciting stuff and best of luck to you in your efforts!

KBM MVNation Administrator
TRIPLE THREAT PRODUCTIONS

"Don't make excuses, Make it happen"
Keys BeMe
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:01 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby ssp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 am

Keys BeMe wrote:
ssp wrote:its already done ;)


I do have one question though and it was asked in an earlier post and even here and that is: 'since BPM (the software) can be used in 'stand alone' mode, (which includes full GRAPHIC EDITING of samples and loops) how would your hardware in its current rev (with what looks like a lcd window for text and numerical data only) address this if one wanted to use BPM hardware/software also as a STAND ALONE unit (like an MPC 5000 or MV8800?) Or is it just being designed as a hardware MIDI controller with the user doing ALL graphic editing ONLY from the software being run on a computer? You state in a future case, you could add a full mtc clock display and an 8 digit display so you can see the current time code but are you considering FULL ON GRAPHIC EDITING from the hardware as well? From what I gather so far, it seems its going to be a great MIDI controller for BPM and other software/hardware MIDI devices, just NO onboard GRAPHIC editing. Yes, No? I'm also running BPM inside of my OpenLabs Gen5 Miko mapped nicely to BPM. So the potential of what your doing would be great for current BPM users (if this goes to market that is) looking to take full advantage of all that the software has to offer.

KBM MVNation Administrator



its already been thought of ;) i designed the second version of the casework at the same time as the first revision.

first revision is a straight forward controller system, with full global mappability thanks to the hardware and software that it used(mios)

the second revision case work contains a new generation of atom motherboard, solidstate hardrives, powersupply and graphics card with a specially configured operating system that boots up into bpm, add the svg/dvi ports on the rear and the capability of an audio port as well and the bpm unit becomes self enclosed into the unit. as power supplies have become increasingly smaller i can fit an atom supply inside and power the internal computer and the controller from one internal source.

it would operate in the same principle as the miko's do.

the mikos are just a controller system bolted into a case with an internal pc thrown in and an edited operating system that boots into thier own system routines.

the good thing about the second revision of the case with the built in system is the fact that you can connect any size display you wish to the unit, so you could have a 10" screen clipped to the unit should you wish. you could go smaller with a 7" screen but then your viewing point would be restricted.

i need to finish the first one before i think about the second revision.once the unit is running then i can think abotu getting on with the second.
Website: http://www.plastikaudio.btinternet.co.uk/

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
ssp
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby chrisma » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:38 am

Wow...this is all incredible. Another question...one of things to me that would just blow BPM up is MIDI outs. Meaning you could make BPM the center of your production studio by controlling your other software/hardware synths easily. Has there been any discuss concerning midiouts on the BPM software and hardware? Will the BPM hardware (version 2) have MIDI in/out connections? So we can hookup a MIDI keyboard as well? If motu could do this right (I don't think NI nailed) a lot of MPC/Motif/MV users would take a closer look at BPM. Especially with this hardware that is coming.

Maybe version 3 can have a touch screen :lol: :D.

Looks great and is very inspiring. Keep it up and thanks for doing this.
World Class Major Label Quality Music Production - UrbanMultiTracks.com
http://www.urbanmultitracks.com/

Music Production, Mixing & Mastering - ChrismaProductions.com
http://www.chrismaproductions.com/
chrisma
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 am
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby ssp » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:56 pm

the current rear ports of the bpm harware v1 are as follows.

9vdc in, usb b port, MIDI in and out. MIDI learn over usb or standard MIDI ports, MIDI transmit over standard MIDI ports or usb.
Website: http://www.plastikaudio.btinternet.co.uk/

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
ssp
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby enot » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:00 pm

learning question! would it help to add the usb 3.0 connectors instead of the 2.0?
enot
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:41 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby chrisma » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 am

ssp wrote:the current rear ports of the bpm harware v1 are as follows.

9vdc in, usb b port, MIDI in and out. MIDI learn over usb or standard MIDI ports, MIDI transmit over standard MIDI ports or usb.


Tell me more about the MIDI out please. My guess is that it is NOT MIDI transmission from BPM but just from the controller itself. I would LUV to be wrong about that BTW. :D
World Class Major Label Quality Music Production - UrbanMultiTracks.com
http://www.urbanmultitracks.com/

Music Production, Mixing & Mastering - ChrismaProductions.com
http://www.chrismaproductions.com/
chrisma
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 am
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby luneytunes » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Man, when is the end of January? THIS week!

:?
luneytunes
 

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby ssp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 am

luneytunes wrote:Man, when is the end of January? THIS week!

:?


one thing you need to understand, im not under a deadline, im not obliged to rush and i certainly do not want to make mistakes.

therefore i am taking my time with this, yep its now the end of january (almost) and its not finished. hmm not finished, well it is finished, the software is edited all the code has been error checked, every button, encoder and fader works, the core is working, so are the dinx4 link boards, usb MIDI and standard MIDI is fine.

so what now.. well im fine tuning some code that i wrote, adding some extra code which i have only just learned to do its called " meta event handlers" and if you saw the code structure you would cringe.

one and only once i am happy will i put everything into the casework and lock it down.

i am still doing the graphics for the face also, this takes time as i have got to get it spot on first time, not second or third, its a one time application process before its coated with a protective transparent coating.

as i have previously said, patience, if its worth doing it worth doing right and a little patience helps. i will not just throw it together and hope for the best, i want it to be a high quality finished item.

and as i have stated i am really looking forward to showing it to you all in video in use with bpm doing what it will.

because after i have finished im then building a unique dedicated 16-32 channel digital performer control surface, that is simply dedicated to digital performer. i have been working on that at the same time as working on the bpm so things take a little longer while im doing two things at the same time, i also just finished building an MIDI machine control unit to control logic pro 9and a suite of fostex multitracs all at the same time. here is a picture of the finished unit.
Image
Image
Image


so as you can see i have been a little busy building quite a few things.
Website: http://www.plastikaudio.btinternet.co.uk/

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
ssp
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby luneytunes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:30 am

I wasnt talking about your work......I was under the impression that I would have a Motu BPM 1.05 Update the end of January. Which; by the way, if not comparable to a real MPC5000 feature-wise, will never interact with your inventions because imma fire BPM as a standalone and concentrate even harder on Logic Pro 9.1 as a groove box....and like everyone else here, succumb to the NI Maschine rule.

So, eeasy, Euphonix Jr.! :P

Tell me you an Aries, man. You gotta be!
Last edited by luneytunes on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
luneytunes
 

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby b-righteous » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 am

What the...

Stop playing around with those other silly projects and get back to work on our BPM controller. :evil:
(stands over ssp with hands folded)

Chop Chop!
Last edited by b-righteous on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
b-righteous
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:40 am
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby luneytunes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 am

b-righteous wrote:What the...

Stop playing around with those other silly projects and get back to work on our BPM controller. :evil:

Chop Chop!


Word!...................................(wich ya Megan Fox thumbs) :lol:

ImageImage
jus kdn mane; she's gross!
Last edited by luneytunes on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
luneytunes
 

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby b-righteous » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:52 am

:D
b-righteous
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:40 am
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby ssp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:07 am

look bpm isnt an akai unit, it cant even attempt to copy the workings of an akai unit hardware or software wise simply because of copyright and patent on the akai system.

this is why its called bpm not virtual akai mpc.

the bpm has its own unique feature set and as it is still under development is still prone to upgrades. as to the release date of the update, i cannot say im afraid, not because i dont know, but simply because i have been asked not to discuss it.

as for my "inventions" not working with it, i can catagorically tell you it is 100% compatible with all of bpm's feature set.

if as you say your going to get rid of bpm and just use logic and maschine so be it, in the mean time im going to carry on working on this and enjoy the fruits of my labours.
Website: http://www.plastikaudio.btinternet.co.uk/

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
ssp
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: bpm hardware (update)

Postby luneytunes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:25 am

ssp wrote:look bpm isnt an akai unit, it cant even attempt to copy the workings of an akai unit hardware or software wise simply because of copyright and patent on the akai system.

this is why its called bpm not virtual akai mpc.

the bpm has its own unique feature set and as it is still under development is still prone to upgrades. as to the release date of the update, i cannot say im afraid, not because i dont know, but simply because i have been asked not to discuss it.

as for my "inventions" not working with it, i can catagorically tell you it is 100% compatible with all of bpm's feature set.

if as you say your going to get rid of bpm and just use logic and maschine so be it, in the mean time im going to carry on working on this and enjoy the fruits of my labours.


gotcha! :twisted:
luneytunes
 

PreviousNext

Return to BPM (General Chat)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 151 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Login Form