FREE-- from Soundsonline

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FREE-- from Soundsonline

Post by Frodo »

RecordingArts wrote:How's the state of the art of the Play engine these days and how 'bout the Symphonic Choirs version?
PLAY is not "officially" compatible with 10.6 yet, so I've not even tempted fate to try it there. I'm still waiting for DP7 and can't report on how that works in any version of OSX.

I have 6.03, but have been using SC in 10.4.11 in DP 5.13 with great success. Now that my four-month-long projects and Christmas are over, this week will be my first chance in a while to get back to Leopard and Snow Leopard testing.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Another job for Plogue Bidule?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Another job for Plogue Bidule?
That would be fine for Kontakt, but if PLAY is not compatible with 10.6.x then it's probably a candidate for the YMMV column.

Besides, PLAY has its own way of accessing RAM. Because of the complications with PLAY being used inside Vienna Ensemble Pro where each has its own way of putting RAM to use outside of DP, I'm not sure how Bidule would help or hurt the PLAY engine in 10.4.x or 10.5.x.

For other VIs, Bidule would probably be fine, but I'd make sure I had plenty of RAM above and beyond 4GB installed to make the most of it.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'll mess with it tomorrow or later tonight in DP 7 with and without Plogue Bidule. I wonder if IAC would be a solution as well?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I wonder if IAC would be a solution as well?
It's certainly worth a try. I never had much luck with standalone VIs on my G5-- which is part of the reason I stopped using Bidule and went for the two-computer network.

Still, I wonder what's going on in the OP's situation where only 3-4 GB pushes the CPU so high.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

Play free is working fine with my system, SL,DP7. The sounds are good, you have some control over them and it is easy to use.I checked out their VI's and I like them a lot.
I have not done symphony music yet and I mostly use the sounds in songs as backing and sweeting but I have plans. The collection at 67% off is still almost $1k.

Frodo I did a tour of vienna instruments even the mp3's sound good. I see what your are saying about the control one has over it. What a nice library of large samples, it looks like the best symphonic VI I have looked at. Do you use the mixer that comes with it? From what I can tell it looks like a good way to merge all the sounds. Wow none of them are cheap but if one needs them I can see them being well worth it.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.