Saving a DP session for Pro Tools

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
XXF
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Saving a DP session for Pro Tools

Post by XXF »

Hey. What is the best way to save a DP session for Pro Tools? I recently saved a session as an OMF file and clicked the button to save all audio files. There are so many options in the window when you click Save as OMF and I'm not sure what the proper way to save my session would be. Thanks.
pcm

Re: Saving a DP session for Pro Tools

Post by pcm »

XXF wrote:Hey. What is the best way to save a DP session for Pro Tools? I recently saved a session as an OMF file and clicked the button to save all audio files. There are so many options in the window when you click Save as OMF and I'm not sure what the proper way to save my session would be. Thanks.
I do this:

Enforce DigiTranslatior 2.0 compatibility - checked
(others in the sub-section are unchecked)

Reference existing audio files - checked
(others in the sub-section are unchecked)
- note - This means you have to include the pre-existing DP audio files folder, but it also prevents you from doubling your files! A much better way to go, in my opinion. Plus, PT will almost certainly create new files from whatever DP sends it (SD2 for sure), in which case you would have THREE sets of your audio files! Better to just use the "reference" option, in my opinion.

Export 24-bit directly - checked

Export sample-accurate edits - checked

Export clip-based volume - checked
Export original times stamps - checked

Export fades as pre-computed regions - checked
Export soundbite names - checked

I have been doing it this way for YEARS (hundreds of times probably), and have never once had an issue.

Note on the other end, you MUST have the DigiTransltor option installed in Pro Tools for this to work. It can be bought on eBay for as little as $175. Not only does it give you the option the read and write OMF and AAF files, but it also integrates with PT's Session Import function. This allows you to pull individual tracks, with or without various types of automation, etc., from the DP-produced OMF file. For example, you can import the song into PT with OMF, but at a later session import addition tracks, complete with automation, into the pre-existing PT session. I always uncheck "pan" automation, as DP seems to place pan automation points at seemingly random points on every OMF track it exports. One client I have uses DP to do overdubs at home, so I can just pull in this week's overdubs thru OMF using the Session Import command, without disturbing or overwriting any other aspect of either session. People love to harp on how Digi charges for what others are perceived as providing for free, but I think that they don't understand the depth of what Digitranslator actually does. Plus, it works 100% spot on, which is a lot more than can be said going the other way, i.e., OMF into DP sometimes just won't work, for reasons I have never been able to figure out. But hey, it's free :-)
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There are two pages to this link at EM. It might give you some under the hood info which can be useful:

http://emusician.com/tutorials/ai/daw_o ... index.html

BTW, I believe AAF files include fades whereas OMF files don't. So if you've done some fading, AAF might be a better option.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
XXF

Post by XXF »

Great. Thank you. I will give it a try today.