Ultralite firmware update 1.1.0

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Bjoillsing
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Bjoillsing »

Hello!

My Ultralite works just fine now there should be no problems...
I really like it, it has worked without problems for the about 6 months I have got it. The only problem was the Firmware update 1.1.0 they released but after going back to 1.00 there are no more problems.
MacBook Core Duo 2.0 gHz 2 gb ram, Ultralite, DP 5
ogt
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ogt »

How can I downgrade back to 1.0 from 1.1.0 on a windows xp computer? My volume controll kills me and nothing works ok with the crappy 1.1.0 firmware for Ultralite. If someone know, please let me know how I can downgrade back to 1.0.

Thanks
patinsilico

Post by patinsilico »

freakin sweet, i upgraded the firmware a few weeks ago and my ultralite has now started wiggin out today.

it almost blew my head off when it jumped to full volume.

i run a dell so its a double whammy for me, the new firmware also seems to be affected more by the firewire issue.

this has to be the worst firmware upgrade ever, it hasnt improved anything, just made matters worse.

SOME PLEASE POST A LINK THE 1.0 DOWNGRADE!
patinsilico

Post by patinsilico »

ULTRALITE FIRMWARE 1.15 is now up on the ultralite website!!!
evok3

Post by evok3 »

Hi all,

Not sure this is directly related to the O.S update 1.1 , but, in case. I did the O.S update when I got my Ultralite (I regret that...).
It worked on my Mac without any issues (none of the audio level issues mentionned here).
I lent my Motu to a friend of mine (I regret that too...) running windows for a try on one of his projects. He returned it saying Windows wouldn't find the UL, even after scanning the hardware reinstalling the drivers, etc, etc...
So I plugged my UL on Macbook and :? Macbook can't find the UL anymore.
I fully de-installed and re-installed the drivers according to the MOTU FAQ: this did not fix the issue...
I tested my firewire cable, even bought a brand new one: no problem here, the cables are ok, but Motu still does not show up on the mac...
I tested my firewire port with an external hardrive: no problem, on Mac side the firewire port works fine.
When I use the Macbook firewire port to power the ultralite (not using the power adaptor), it lights up. power is supplied.
Somehow the data is no longer going from mac to UL.
Is there any chance this is due to that crappy OS1.1? and if so, is there any way I can reset my UL? I can't up or down grade it via the mac as it's just not communicating...

Is there anyway to avoid swapping my UL and wait for ages to get a new one while my project is just stuck!

Thank you in advance to anyone who could help...
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

evok3:
I would check out the FireWire ports on the UltraLite -- do they look bent or misshapen in any way? If so, that's a tell-tale sign that someone plugged in a FireWire cable upside down, which can fry the ports.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
evok3

Post by evok3 »

Actually, they look ok.

The guy I lent my UL to is a computer freak, pretty used to handling connectors...

There is always a chance that something went wrong in that area (this is one of the things I can't test myself now), but there is no physical trace of any mishandling. So...
I also tested by plugging the other firewire port of the UL as suggested on the Motu website. No success either.

Is there any issue in using a UL on both Mac and PC (and potentially, is there any issue in doing this with that OS1.1?)
Clownatwar

Post by Clownatwar »

So.. are the firmware updates still hostile grounds today? (march 22nd)
brains

Post by brains »

just a heads up to anyone who is still having trouble with their ultralite. I was having problems similar to what some here have mentioned under firmware v1.1 (which my unit shipped with) AND v 1.5. my issues were things like volume jumps, distorted audio as well as a total loss of audio. I downgraded the firmware to v1.00 which helped solve the problem of the unit not processing audio at all, but I was still getting the volume and distortion problems. I use a 2 monitor setup (powermac G5 Dual 2GHz), with the second monitor running off an old video card (ATI, I think) from a G3 mac. whenever there were any windows from DP in that second monitor the audio would distort and crap out. If I keep everything in the main monitor, it's all good. I know this is a pretty specific situation, but perhaps it might help some of you guys. I still think the firmware update helped screw thing up though.

has anyone gotten acceptable answers from MOTU tech support? I can't say they have been very helpful to me.
prizmatic

Post by prizmatic »

My Ultralite was fried by the Firmware, MOTU told me it was a coincidence ! Its on its way back now from MOTU and I was charged $85 for the privilege. It was working fine before the update and stopped working immediately after , you can draw your own conclusions.
shinxx

my UL is now totally bugged out after FW-upgrade to 1.15

Post by shinxx »

Hey Partypeople...maybe one of you guys might be able to help me out...hopefully! I guess otherwise I'm kinda srewed.

Problem is that I updated my UL to the 1.15 version. Usually something is supposed to be better after that kind of action, but as we in Germany say "Pustekuchen". I'am now having trouble getting my card even started. Messages like "unvalid CPU" or "initialzing active mix" are almost consequently showing up. Sometimes the UL gets recognized again and I would be able to install another firmware upgrade. Been there, done that, and tried to let the 1.15 update run over it again. Same bogus as before.
Now I'm opened a tech link on motu hp with my prob.

They say all they can do for me is to have me send the card in for 80$. *What the heck? I just need the 1.00 firmware for my WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL and I guess I'll be able to get the UL running again.What kind of support is that supposed to be?

So here is my question to you guys:
Might anyone of you be able to send me over the 1.00 downgrade for WinXP? Since I'am reading that you guys are all using MacBooks I guess that might turn in to another Problem =(

Or is there actually any difference between the Mac & the Windows Version of the firmware??? I mean I am only flashing the card, or not? When I bought the thing I should have been able to connect to a Mac or a PC. Or I am completely wrong on this point?

So for any of you who might be able to help me, I would be very very glad!!!

Big greetz from a broke studying german musician who now can't even make music no more. ;(

Thanks for any help in advance!

Boris.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

doctari wrote:Ultralite worked perfectly until updating new firmware.
So why did you update?
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
rogernotroger

external hard drive

Post by rogernotroger »

Can someone tell me if they notice the extreme noise/clicks problem goes away when NO external drives are connected?

I have the noise problem, but ONLY when external FW drives are connected. Otherwise the Ultralite is working fine writing data to internal drive.
Tomer1

Re: Ultralite firmware update 1.1.0

Post by Tomer1 »

Anyone has the 1.0 downgrade for pc?
larrydavid

Re: Ultralite firmware update 1.1.0

Post by larrydavid »

well I have crackles and pops and when I spoke to MOTU they said it wasnt possible to downgrade the firmware. THere are folks on the net that claim they have the downgrade to v1.0 but thats only if you have a mac and I`m not sure if you can downgrade firmware. But I need the downgrade to so if anyone has it pc/mac then please help us out!