Focusrite releases Scarlett plug-in suite for $99.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jlaudon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Focusrite releases Scarlett plug-in suite for $99.

Post by jlaudon »

MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
David Polich

Re: Focusrite releases Scarlett plug-in suite for $99.

Post by David Polich »

I don't see any downloadable demo - pretty hard to try it out
without a demo.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I read in another forum that a guy bought it last week from a retailer, but hadn't had a chance to use it much yet.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:I don't see any downloadable demo - pretty hard to try it out
without a demo.
Ditto! By the way, here's a link to their product page with a bit more info:

http://www.focusrite.com/products/software/scarlett/

But I agree with David... they need a demo. In the current economic climate, even at $99, I'm not opening my wallet without hearing them first. I have a ton of compressors, reverbs, EQs... not so into the gate... so it must be compelling for me to buy.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

So the Red hardware gets discontinued, and a month or two later, it gets released in a paler software version. :-) Actually, scarlet could be thought of as uber-red I suppose. But "Scarlett" is a bit riskier a spelling, as these plugs could be "gone with the wind"... :mrgreen:

Nice interfaces, but I never liked the Focusrite sound, so unless demos are forthcoming, I'll pass. It's interesting that they're coming in at such a low price point; that part is quite unexpected. I'm open-minded enough to try them, as they may have features or work modes that make them more applicable to some tasks than T-RackS, DP plug-ins, iZotope, etc.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
zed

Post by zed »

Hmmmmm. Focusrite is using the image of George Martin in their product brochure... I might be compelled to to buy this set now...

But of course I'm only kidding. I wouldn't buy anything without hearing a demo either... especially with all the similar plugins I already have in my collection.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The price may have more to do with the crowded field than the economy, come to think of it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:The price may have more to do with the crowded field than the economy, come to think of it.
Could be. But I can see I'm not alone in the sentiment, "no try, no buy."
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I've been hesitant to post this, as there's been some controversy over whether the supposedly official quote from the developer was manufactured by someone with an agenda or not, but I will at least mention that there is speculation that this is primarily a visual repackaging of Sapphire.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

This plug-in suite gets a glowing review in the January 2010 edition of Mix Magazine, and yet they make no mention of whether it is essentially a repackaging of Sapphire.

The insinuation in the review is that this is a brand-new suite, and a true bargain as a highly convincing emulation of the RED and ISA hardware.

frankymax

Post by frankymax »

I got this plug in suite as I figured for $99, how can you go wrong. I was very disappointed in this bundle. I just don't think there's all that much to these plugs, sound-wise, that would make me use them in place of my other arsenal of eq's, comp's, or verbs. Just my opinion, but I feel I wasted $99 on this one. Maybe if I didn't already have more plugs than I need I'd dig these! I gotta stop buying this stuff, or else I won't be able to pay for my kid's college tuition!!! :cry:
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Splinter »

I thought Focusrite had the Red series plugs for Pro Tools TDM like 12 years ago. I thought they called it the D series. I was looking at TDM systems back then and I thought I remember those plugs. If they're repackaging a 12 year old technology, I wouldn't even sneeze at them.
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, at least it isn't "overpriced" per se, like the repackaged(?) Sonnox restoration tools, which have yet to be verified as having anything new (the old tools were great, but a lot has come along since then, so they should be cheaper this time around, unless improved).

Same lesson here with Scarlett, except I guess Focusrite did take the age of the algorithms into account in pricing the suite. Good to hear feedback though, as I would only splurge if the Gate was unique and/or even better than the one from Sonalksis.