Poll over at Gearsl*ts...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Poll over at Gearsl*ts...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

midilance wrote:I just noticed that, of all the DAW choices, Digital Performer is the only one that has it's name italicized. Ooh!
I think that because it's the one you (theoretically) voted for. No?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
KEVORKIAN

Post by KEVORKIAN »

I voted.... I lurk on GS all the time.
dp7.2 || os 10.6.7 || 2x2.8 (eight core) intel mac pro, 16gb ram || metric halo uln-8 || motu traveler || euphonix mc control || waves mercury || abbey road bundle || mh channelstrip || toontrack sd 2.0, ez drummer, drumtracker || addictive drums || drumcore 3 || ni komplete 5 || reason || bidule || altiverb 6 || omnisphere, stylus RMX || melodyne 3.2 || stillwell || soundtoys || nomad factory|| psp || mpressor || dsm ||
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

toodamnhip wrote:
indytoons wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:So what is the main beef against DP over there? What do they say in summary?
The main beef seems to be that DP does not "sound" pro enough...that mixes done in Pro Tools are "wider", "deeper", "better stereo image", "[insert your favorite audio generalization here]" etc....

I like Gearslutz, really, but you really have to have your BS filter on stun when you go there. There's an AWFUL lot of prejudicial talk over there w/regards to all kinds of gear and software, not just DP, but DP more than gets it's fair share of haters.
Gavin Lurssen Masters my records. He won last yrs Grammy for Robert Plant/Allison Krauss.

I am a perfectionist and thus, i always beg him to give me pointers on my mixes..He has NEVER said anything...he loves my mixes.

All done on DP..Funny thing is, i don;t think we've ever discussed what system I record on...lol....

But there you have it. I never hear it isn't wide, deep or anything..As a matter of fact, I recall him telling me that my mixes take away one of his normal jobs, making a mix a bit wider...

So there are real world results.
BUT DOES IT NULL? :roll:
This is the HUGE thing that's in nowadays and to tell you the truth, every time I brought my mixes to school they would all tell me how much better my PT's mixes sounded than my DP mixes... funny thing is, I lied!!! :shock: :shock:
If I would have told my instructor I used DP he would have flunked me because it was a pre requisite to buy it from the book store or digidesign (Avid) to complete the class! THIS is what's going on big-time in the schools today because the schools are getting kickbacks and to heck with what the producers or engineers want to work with. They think you're going to go get a job @ a big facility that has PT's he he... what facilities? Everyone's downsizing to smaller project and in home types of things so really, it's all about market hype and kickbacks and these students are all being BRAINWASHED that PT's is the best and only professional DAW... give me a break.
Actually, all DAW's today are very capable of making records and some have stronger attributes than others (MIDI, Time Compression/Expansion, native VI's, plugs etc.) but to say one DAW is the king is just BS.
I use a lot of MIDI so I use DP but the workflow in DP makes the most sense to me... so I use it. I've always use Macs (fortunately) and have checked out my partners rigs running windows whether it was PT's Sonar, or Reaper etc. they just don't click with the way I see music and to get to the things I use are a PITA and with DP they are right there!
DP is more for musicians really so yeah, it probably won't click in the mind of a null freak because we just make killer music with our DAW's and not do null test every day!
Whatever... :roll: :roll:
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

newrigel wrote: DP is more for musicians really so yeah, it probably won't click in the mind of a null freak because we just make killer music with our DAW's and not do null test every day!
Whatever... :roll: :roll:
For what it's worth, every test I've ever run on DP (and I've done a lot of them), DP has always been balls-on dead accurate. Sure there's going to be little quirks here and there and things that frustrate us, but that's going to happen with any DAW--as we all know. But under the hood, whoever's writing that code, they get it right when it comes to the integrity of the audio.
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
MIDI Life Crisis

When we were running hardware tape recorders, there was a difference in sound. But the is negligable in most DAWs. Mics and how you mix, process & master are what matters (assuming you got the music, performance and recording part right). The DAW becomes a matter of personal prefrence, IMO, and how similar your process is to the way the DAW is set up. I find it amusing that some people scream and moan about the software when, again IMO, their music sucks.

I'd much rather talk about music (and a few dozen other things) than try to convince Joe Blow that DP is better than PT. Maybe it's just me but the whole poll seems kind of futile. So what if GB 'wins'? What difference will it make?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by wurliuchi »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:When we were running hardware tape recorders, there was a difference in sound. But the is negligable in most DAWs. Mics and how you mix, process & master are what matters (assuming you got the music, performance and recording part right). The DAW becomes a matter of personal prefrence, IMO, and how similar your process is to the way the DAW is set up. I find it amusing that some people scream and moan about the software when, again IMO, their music sucks.

I'd much rather talk about music (and a few dozen other things) than try to convince Joe Blow that DP is better than PT. Maybe it's just me but the whole poll seems kind of futile. So what if GB 'wins'? What difference will it make?
Amen.

Hey, is that you on the right? If so, wow, you have great ears. :P
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So what if GB 'wins'? What difference will it make?
Ahh, but you've nailed it, haven't you? It doesn't matter. The "win" is getting people to argue and, hopefully, descend into down-dressing, condescension and even name calling.

The goal is to get folks to the point of becoming emotional about defending the tools they prefer for music production, which is silly on its face..

When I first joined Gearslutz, I was like member #200 and something. It was great back then, nearly all good spirited professionals. Now, with 97000+ members, it's a three ring circus, with way too many wannabe's with way too much time.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Killahurts wrote: When I first joined Gearslutz, I was like member #200 and something. It was great back then, nearly all good spirited professionals. Now, with 97000+ members...
So with 700 members voting at this point, the poll represents about .7 % (less than 1%) of the members, yet the participants are getting their plug-ins in a knot over it all.

I think the URL says it all.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

you know, spending time at Gearsl*tz makes me realize what a great forum this is here at M-Nation! I always feel I need to take a shower after spending much time over there, but the new product alert board does at least keep me aware of what new products are coming 'round the bend. All I can say is thanks to James and the members here for a more thoughtful, and helpful forum experience!
Happy Holidays,
-Frank
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
MIDI Life Crisis

wurliuchi wrote:
Hey, is that you on the right? If so, wow, you have great ears. :P
How many times does I haves to tell yas - that's my identical twin sister (also my auntie and my mom). Dumb as a plank, she is. I'm the smaert one with the watch. I keep the time whilst the others wait for direction.Our favorite DAW is "the Dogs Are Waitin."

Yuk, yuk... CRAP. Lost anopther tooth!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yuk, yuk... CRAP. Lost anopther tooth!
lol, that's hilarious! :mrgreen:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

ANother thing I like about the GS forums is they don't inform me when a post is responded to. That's good as I don't really care. LOL!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BobK

Post by BobK »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:ANother thing I like about the GS forums is they don't inform me when a post is responded to. That's good as I don't really care. LOL!
If I recall correctly, when you reply to a topic, the default is 'no notification,' but I think you can choose another option when you post. You can definitely subscribe after you've posted, or subscribe to a thread you haven't posted to, using the drop-down menu 'Thread Tools' at the top of the page.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Yeah Bob is right, BUT... I caution you to be very careful about plugging yourself into a smackfest over there because there are folks who have no lives and absolutely have to get the last word, so it never ends until somebody gives up.
MIDI Life Crisis

Nah, I won't subscribe. I kind of like watching the clocks go off... :)

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS