Compatible Laptops for the Motu 8pre

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Ratona
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Compatible Laptops for the Motu 8pre

Post by Ratona »

Currently Using:
Dell Inspiron E1505 Intel Core Duo 2GHz w/2Gig of ram.
Motu 8pre
Sonar 8 Producer

Current system works Good. I am however wanting to buy another laptop. I am looking for recommendation because I have not found a list of tested laptops for the Motu 8pre w/firewire connection. I just want to avoid buying a laptop and end up with a bunch of conflicts. Mac recommendations are okay as well, but would be more interested in pc laptop recommendations. Thanks. If I get enought recommendations for good working systems, then I will compile them into a list and repost it for the future referenc of others.
Mark S

Re: Compatible Laptops for the Motu 8pre

Post by Mark S »

Since you are a Sonar user by now you should know that Jim Roseberry over at that forum does not recommend any laptops today since no one includes a TI chipset on the MOBO. He now recommends a rack mount case unit with a standard pc.

That being said, the option of finding an external card with a TI chipset is still there, although as I can see from your other post, the express cards are also a know troublemaker (from what I read.)

For now, my 4 year old pentium M XP Home and the AVT firewire drivers is working great for 16 channels with an 8pre and an 896hd.
Ratona

Re: Compatible Laptops for the Motu 8pre

Post by Ratona »

This is what I found from hp. Don't know if this makes any difference, but if you have thoughts, I'd be intrested in the pros or cons.

With the specifications you have provided I recommend looking at the HP Compaq 6730b and the HP Compaq 6735b Series notebooks which have the TI OHCI 1394 host controller and the TI PCI1410 CardBus controller. This information can be found on page 116 of the Maintenance and Service Guide for the HP Compaq 6730b and 6735b Notebooks, which you can download from our web site in PDF format at:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/doc ... 525694.pdf

Some features of the HP Compaq 6730b series are:

-Genuine Windows Vista Business

-Next generation 45nm Intel Core2 Duo 9000 and 8000 series mobile processors

-Next generation Intel Mobile 45 Chipset Family

-Thin, lightweight design starting at 5.93 lbs/2.69 kg (weight will vary by configuration)

For more information on the models in the HP Compaq 6730b series notebook, please visit our web site at:

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBas ... ce=$649.00

Some features of the HP Compaq 6735b are:

-Genuine Windows Vista Business

-AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Processor, AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Processor or AMD AthlonX2 Dual-Core Processor

-Widescreen 15.4-inch diagonal display

For more information on the models in the HP Compaq 6735b series notebook, please visit our web site at:

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/ctoBas ... ce=$649.00