All's well with DP6.02 and Snow Leopard except Ethno

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's Ethno virtual instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

tonester

All's well with DP6.02 and Snow Leopard except Ethno

Post by tonester »

Hi:

Upgraded to Snow Leopard. Downloaded the latest PACE extension drivers, but upon launching DP6, I get a "fatal error" when Ethno is scanned. Same thing if I try and open the standalone. No error codes with MachFive 2 or MSI.

Any hints?

Thanks.....
mwalthius
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: All's well with DP6.02 and Snow Leopard except Ethno

Post by mwalthius »

I am having the exact same problem. Digital Performer won't start because I keep getting this error that I traced back to Ethno. ARGH.
DP 9.52, MacOS 10.14.1, iMac
Yamaha Montage 8, Virus TI, Moog LP Tribute
Omnisphere, Diva, Sylenth1, Alchemy, Z3TA+2, more
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd
mwalthius

Post by mwalthius »

Ok, on the MOTU site they say that Ethno is not yet compatible with Snow Leopard, but that an update will be forthcoming.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to temporarily "deactivate" Ethno on my system? My Digital Performer won't start because it wants to load Ethno. And removing it from the component folder doesn't change anything.

DP DOES start when I remove the iLok, rendering Ethno inoperable, but that also renders other programs inoperable (such as MachFive2) so this isn't a valid workaround for me.

How do I temporarily make it so DP doesn't "see" Ethno, or otherwise eradicate Ethno from my system??? There's nothing in the manual about how to uninstall it.
DP 9.52, MacOS 10.14.1, iMac
Yamaha Montage 8, Virus TI, Moog LP Tribute
Omnisphere, Diva, Sylenth1, Alchemy, Z3TA+2, more
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hugy »

mwalthius wrote:Ok, on the MOTU site they say that Ethno is not yet compatible with Snow Leopard, but that an update will be forthcoming.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to temporarily "deactivate" Ethno on my system? My Digital Performer won't start because it wants to load Ethno. And removing it from the component folder doesn't change anything.

DP DOES start when I remove the iLok, rendering Ethno inoperable, but that also renders other programs inoperable (such as MachFive2) so this isn't a valid workaround for me.

How do I temporarily make it so DP doesn't "see" Ethno, or otherwise eradicate Ethno from my system??? There's nothing in the manual about how to uninstall it.
Just remove MOTU Ethno Instrument from /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS
scooter

Post by scooter »

I'm having the same problem here with Ethno and the Snowy Leopard animal.
Just get rid of that puppy for now.

scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
simdrum

Post by simdrum »

To disable Ethno, you have to go to the ilok website and manage your authorizations- if you have multiple ilok keys, move the authorization for everything except the the ethno onto another key, then unplug the ehtno key. DP will ask for authorization when it opens, but at that point you can disable it at startup and DP will open.
papageno

Post by papageno »

simdrum wrote:To disable Ethno, you have to go to the ilok website and manage your authorizations- if you have multiple ilok keys, move the authorization for everything except the the ethno onto another key, then unplug the ehtno key. DP will ask for authorization when it opens, but at that point you can disable it at startup and DP will open.
This is one of the most complicated methods to disable Ethno.

There are easy ways too:
1) disable ethno in your host app (if host app has the feature available)
2) move ethno plugin files from plugin folders to somewhere else
+372 56222285
tonester

Post by tonester »

scooter wrote:I'm having the same problem here with Ethno and the Snowy Leopard animal.
Just get rid of that puppy for now.

scooter

yeah, ultimately that's what I had to do. Since I have MF2, I kept the DAT file.
I hope ETHNO's developers address this soon with a patch. It's been awhile

I wonder if DP7 is the answer?
dkgross
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by dkgross »

WOW..three months since this was first mentioned and STILL no fix??? Shoulda checked here before doing my Snow Leopard update...damn..I use ETHNO all the time...

will bookmark and HOPE for an update asap...argh.....
tonester

Post by tonester »

dkgross wrote:WOW..three months since this was first mentioned and STILL no fix??? Shoulda checked here before doing my Snow Leopard update...damn..I use ETHNO all the time...

will bookmark and HOPE for an update asap...argh.....
I agree. I use my Ethno all the time. Thankfully, I have MF 2 and can access all the sounds. But it's a shame that the developers haven't addressed the issue yet.

I think I'll save up and get Quantum Leap's RA
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

I'm begining to wonder if they've "orphaned" this program - - the way they have MOTU Symphonic Instrument and a couple of others???
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
tikibars

Post by tikibars »

Hi all,

I didn't see this spelled out elsewhere, so I'll post it here, and also on the two other threads that deal with this same issue.

MOTU has confirmed for me that Ethno 1 no longer works on Mac OS10.6 and above.

Anyone getting that Fatal Error issue on OSX10.6 or above may as well trash their copy of Ethno, it is now obsolete.
cheers -

James T.
http://www.tydirium.net