Instrument bundles/channel assignments are inconsistent

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
peccoz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Instrument bundles/channel assignments are inconsistent

Post by peccoz »

Hi everyone,

since I haven't heard back from MOTU in 10 days, I thought I'd post a problem I have with dp6.02 here as well- thanks for reading, everyone! And: I hope this is not too much of a noob question :oops:

---
DP6 doesn't seem to recognize the virtual outputs (VSL, Kontakt, Stylus) of many plug-ins correctly- I've been setting up templates, assigning 8 stereo channels to each VI (and putting them into a V-rack for convenience while switching cues) and one respective MIDI channel, but as soon as I load the template, the MIDI assignments get lost (italics) and the audio assignments too, either completely or with a few still working, but not like you expect them to (for instance, VI output 3-4 outputs on 4-5).
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Instrument bundles/channel assignments are inconsistent

Post by FMiguelez »

Are you checking the Audio Bundles option in the Load dialog box?

Remember you can load as many or little elements from a sequence as you wish (soundbites, consoles, audio bundles, etc). You do that right there in the dialog box.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

thank you for your reply! hmm.. this is actually a temlpate file I am using. It's strange, I assign manually every virtual output of the plug ins (vsl, stylus, kontakt) and they all work, but when I start a new project or even reload a session, dp6 seems to lose these settings, greying the outputs out- and I have to start all over again! the same templates work just great in dp5.13. I wonder what this could be..?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hmmm... that's weird. I'd mind 2 things:

If your template works as you want, and the audio bundles are fine there, BUT they don't translate when you LOAD them into a new project, then check if your current new project (where you are loading your template) has conflicting audio bundles. If you have similar assignments for different things, DP (and you) will get easily confused.

I seem to recall that some bundles for VIs won't work unless you open the VI first and THEN load the bundles. I always use clippings for this (instead of loading chunks), but I must delete the "copy" part of the track names before the bundles become normal (instead of italics), at least from the VI instrument track.

So make sure you have no conflicting bundles between template and current projects, make sure you name your tracks the same way as in the template (this is with DP 4.61 at least).
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Thanks for your help- it really bugs me that i'd have to resort to clippings with dp6 (mainly because i'm used to dp 5 handling the templates just fine) and now another issue seems to have popped out of the blue: the play,stylus and kontakt4 window is screwing around rather strangely! When I try to click on something within the plugin window, it just blanks out completely, turning white altogether. However, playing notes on a controller still produces the sound.

Man oh man, what to do!?
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

After trying out some more things, it appears that this issue comes up different every time: at one load-up, the kontakt busses are fine, but stylus is screwed up, at another, it might be exactly the contrary.. grumble... I really wonder what causes this! But regardless, the "white window" problem seems to be even more problematic at this point..and that always happens. if anyone knows a possible solution, I'd greatly appreciate your help! :)
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I had the exact same problem. And sometimes I would look at the audio bundles and there would be something weird, like Stylus 2-3, and closing and re-opening DP would fix it. Still have the issue sometimes in 7.01, but only with the audio inputs of a VI, not with the MIDI outs (that seems to be fixed). I wonder if it has something to do with the point in time that a VI is loaded when a project is opening.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Exactly, same for me: the MIDI works always. I will try saving a project outside of the template folder and load in the bundles each time- that might fix it, who knows!

Have you ever experienced that "white window" problem, by the way?

Cheers!

Filippo
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

What happens if you delete all the bundles in the current project and import only the bundles from you template (from the Audio Bundles window)?

If it's a new blank project, deleting the bundles involves just pressing "delete unused". Importing them should take no longer than a few seconds. Would this help solving the problem?

peccoz

Post by peccoz »

no, unfortunately the situation remains the same. I'm going to try to make a new mini-template, maybe just throwing the dp5 templates onto dp6 is not the best thing after all? I hope that will solve it although I slightly shudder at the thought of redoing that work :|
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

I guess it all boils down to re-doing my templates.. trying out to make a template IN DP6 with kontakt and stylus multiple outs, led to a nice working template every time a new project is created.

I guess the templates don't translate all too well between versions!
Still have that white-window thing that is driving me nuts, but some day that'll be sorted out, I truly hope!
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

talked too soon.. yet again all the assignments are screwed up. I guess I'll be using dp5 for a while longer..
charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

Regarding the 'white screen' issue--I had this occur with UVI Workstation and here's what fixed it.

Change your display resolution to a different setting inside System Preferences, then set it back to the native display resolution.

I don't know if this will work for Kontakt, or other VIs giving you the problem, but it's worth a shot!

Charles
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

Thank you Charles, I'll check it out :D
peccoz

Post by peccoz »

re-installing dp6 solved the white-window issue, however now dp5,dp6 AND 7 have issues. what the heck! 5 crashes right after startup, 6 does so when loading instruments, and 7, well check my other thread. Desperate right now, but I'm sure there'll be a way to figure this out :cry: