DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.

Leaving aside some of the functional issues to be resolved (plug-in compatibility, bugs), which statement below best describes your opinion of the new graphic look introduced with DP6?

A) I prefer it without reservation over DP 5.
18%
B) I prefer it over DP5, but I feel it's just a little "too bright."
11%
C) I prefer it over DP5, but it still needs a lot of work.
18%
D) I don't really care... they both (DP5 & DP6) are okay to me.
7%
E) I don't like it. I'd be glad to have a redesign, but this isn't close to what I'd like.
20%
F) I don't like it. DP5's graphic look was fine and MOTU should have left it alone.
26%

Total votes: 656

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 6 GUI - What do you think of it?

Post by bayswater »

midiw wrote: And I still wish they would allow the user to increase the height of the tracks in a track view window. 50 tracks or more tracks in a window is very hard for Mr Magoo to see clearly.
This was implemented in V6.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
midiw

Post by midiw »

Please could you whisper to me how?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

midiw wrote:Please could you whisper to me how?
Come close ...

There are + and - buttons at the bottom right corner of the Tracks Overview window beside and below the scroll bar arrows. The pair below the vertical scroll bar arrow will increase and decrease the height of the tracks.
jandron

Post by jandron »

I just upgraded to 7.01, from 5.13, skipped 6 entirely. I understand that 7 is a lot like 6 visually, so I guess these comments will apply.

The one thing about performer (and I've used it for 20 years) was always, it was a good looking program. Maybe it was a little clunky speed wise, but it always looked great. This new version is a HUGE disappointment visually--it looks like we're back to the 1.0 days. I was thinking maybe they made it easier to render in order to speed it up; it does seem faster, so that's nice. But it looks like s**t. Everything is awkward to me, and I'm trying to not let that cloud my judgement, but I just don't understand why they took the great look of DP 5 and took it three steps backward. It does look like a spreadsheet--and not even a recent one! What were those guys at MOTU thinking?
DP 7.01, Mac Pro 8-core 2.26, HD192, 1224 (2), UAD-2 Duo, Mach Five, Reason 4, SampleTank, Blue, Play EWQLSO, DX4
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

Wow - I've been using DP since version 2.7. I had 3.0 and 4.6 and now 6.02. I think this is by far the most efficient and best looking version yet. The new GUI needs to grow on you. After a month or so come on back and read what you've written. I'm sure you'll disagree with yourself.

dpg4macman : )
midiw

Post by midiw »

bayswater wrote:
midiw wrote:Please could you whisper to me how?
Come close ...

There are + and - buttons at the bottom right corner of the Tracks Overview window beside and below the scroll bar arrows. The pair below the vertical scroll bar arrow will increase and decrease the height of the tracks.
:D ah, thanks (excuse my shouting but i've got a dumb ear this morning
Mac OS: Mojave
seanarorke
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by seanarorke »

yeah i think it is an improvement.it is a bit bright, maybe should just have a colour brightness adjusting slider. i know it doesn't really matter what it looks like but it's visually more pleasing. rather like going from a beige box computer to a nice modern mac. come on, noone can really prefer the beige box, can they? a few improvements that seemed obvious to me have not been addressed. the ability to bypass or disable plugins from the mixing desk rather than having to open them. a real pain if you want to bypass a few at a time. the ability to make narrow certain mixer tracks and not others. and in tracks they now let you resize but not individual tracks. same with the meter bridge. half developed ideas i think. very useful they would be. for the curser wiper not to disappear when you change the transport loop. solo/mute on all edit pages (essential i would have thought. ?) numbering tracks would help a great deal in quick location when going from one window to another. and those colour schemes? rubbish with daft irrelevant names. gotta make your own straight away. no? a new feature MOTU mention is the resizable counter window. great idea, in fact long overdue, but why does it not work like a regular window ie width and height adjustable independantly. the bigger it is the more white space you get. basic errors. i know i am moaning but i do love DP7 and think it is improving. i use DP because i believe the sound is superior to the rivals, the concepts around customizing the workspace are the best, in my opinion. and all apps have their niggles and shortfalls. i must say i came in to DP at version 5 having used mainly cubase on a pc before that, and put off buying DP6 because it didn't seem to big a jump forward, apart from the gui, for the money. i decided to buy it particularly for the pre-gen feature and found DP7 to be out. i would be a bit annoyed if i had bought DP6 that i would have to pay for the upgrade to DP7, rather it in my opinion should have been more a DP6 update and free. anyway that's my rant, it's good to talk1
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

seanarorke wrote:yeah i think it is an improvement.it is a bit bright, maybe should just have a colour brightness adjusting slider. i know it doesn't really matter what it looks like but it's visually more pleasing. rather like going from a beige box computer to a nice modern mac. come on, noone can really prefer the beige box, can they? a few improvements that seemed obvious to me have not been addressed. the ability to make narrow certain mixer tracks and not others. and in tracks they now let you resize but not individual tracks. same with the meter bridge. half developed ideas i think. very useful they would be. for the curser wiper not to disappear when you change the transport loop.
All good points.
The ability to bypass or disable plugins from the mixing desk rather than having to open them. a real pain if you want to bypass a few at a time.
Uh, option click the plugin to bypass. That's been in the app from the beginning. Active/inactive is only available for the entire channel, unfortunately.
solo/mute on all edit pages (essential i would have thought. ?)
Full channel and track info is available in the info bar. Check your prefs.
numbering tracks would help a great deal in quick location when going from one window to another. and those colour schemes? rubbish with daft irrelevant names. gotta make your own straight away. no?
No argument there.

You might need a brush up on the new features with the quickstart guide or make the manual your bathroom reading. I've been using the damn app for 15 years and continually find new things.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

seanarorke wrote:the ability to make narrow certain mixer tracks and not others.
Good point. I keep thinking this when I'm using the mixer, and forget to put in on the wish lists here. While we're at it, I'd like to be able to open multiple copies of the the mixer window at once, each with its own track selector.
Crashdown

Post by Crashdown »

I wish (for Cristmas) that DP7.03 improves the Metering GUI with the colors of the Protolls 8 Meters... Don't you just love Green, Yellow and Red...?

Not blue with a yellow peak.... grrrrrr :evil:

Cheers,
Toni
Mac Pro 3.1, 8-Core, Yosemite, DP8.07
Uad-2 Quad, SSL MadiXtreme 64, SSL Alpha-Link Madi AX
TKTurbo

Post by TKTurbo »

I do rather enjoy the new, brighter interface. It did take some getting used to arranging the various windows. Since DP5 I have used 2 monitors for the application as I like my mixer on the 2nd screen for ease of access with all the tracks, transport and other windows on the primary.

The brighter interface makes it easier to see where I am and what's going on from a "big-picture" perspective, but I'm with MIDILifeCrisis: Can we get a bit more strength to the fonts? It would really help.
TKTurbo, JSPS
Phonoptic Media

Dorothy: 32-Channel SoundCraft DC/2020 Production Truck:
Dual 2.5GHz G5 Mac, MOTU 24I/O, Eventide H-3000 D/SE, PCM-80, direct-to-CD recording/mastering, broadcast and webcast ready.

Bertha: 24-Channel SoundCraft Live•8 Mobile Recording Rig:
Dual 2GHz G4 Mirror-Door Mac, MOTU 24i, all rack-mounted

Dot: 8-Channel Alesis MultiMix Portable Recording Rig:
MacBook 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, MultiMix FireWire
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

I say old chaps, this sticky maybe getting a tad long in the tooth, don't you think?
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep. Since the DP 7.2 release is going to have different looks, I'll delete this thread when it comes out.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

James Steele wrote:Yep. Since the DP 7.2 release is going to have different looks, I'll delete this thread when it comes out.
GUH!!??

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That's according to Brad @ Sweetwater. He said so in a thread about the MicroBook. It's actually in this thread here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=42369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!