It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am

Text Size

The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

Postby James Steele » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:14 pm

Here you go. All of the people that want to scream about why you're upset about what's in or not in DP7 can post in this topic. I've even made it a sticky for you. Knock yourself out. If you don't like this policy... well you know my response already, right? Thanks.
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro4,1 Quad-Core 2.66, 24GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, ATI 5770, DP 8.07, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The OFFICIAL DP7 Bitching and Moaning Topic

Postby amplidood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

DP7 still doesn't do direct deposits into my bank account as soon as I print the final mixes. WHAT THE HELL.
ampguimods.net andyselby.com themacdaddy
How do I like to work? Out of my "StudioInABag" of course; SwissGear laptop bag (awesome), MacBook Pro (4,1) 2.4ghz/4gb/500gb/Snow leopard, lots and lots of drives, Mbox2Pro, DP, PT, Logic (hardly touch it), Komplete, Reason, too many plugs and VI's to list, Akai LPK25, Korg nanoPAD, wireless keyboard/mouse, Sennheiser 650HD phones...basically i pull four cables out of the bag, hook to the laptop, and go!
amplidood

Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Postby James Steele » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:03 pm

amplidood wrote:DP7 still doesn't do direct deposits into my bank account as soon as I print the final mixes. WHAT THE HELL.

Yeah! Damn right! :twisted:

MacPro4,1 Quad-Core 2.66, 24GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, ATI 5770, DP 8.07, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Postby Shooshie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:19 pm

I see nothing in DP7 to indicate that they have finally seen the light and included, like all the major DAWs, a MIDI Defibrillator that will shock the aortic beat back into dead MIDI grooves. :evil: Who do they think they are? How do they expect me to make interesting music without a MIDI Defibrillator? I am SO going to switch to Garageband. It even shows me a picture of the instrument that's playing so I can tell what it looks like. Where's THAT, MOTU?
|l| OS X 10.9.5 Beta |l| DP 8.07 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro 2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Nomad Factory Vintage Plugins |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Postby James Steele » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Okay... I may have been wrong to post a humorous response in here. I really and truly meant this to be where people can vent about DP7... at least prior to someone actually having a copy in their hands.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Postby hammerman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 pm

I am upset at MOTU as I don't have my copy of DP7 yet. And they charged me! :twisted:
6-core 3.33 GHz Mac Pro - 16 GB RAM - 10.9.3 - DP 8.06
hammerman

Postby FMiguelez » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 pm

IT SUCKS that there are no loops... do they REALLY expect me to actually WRITE music from scratch? What the hell are they thinkin'? Even Garage Band has them, and I can make kewl beatz there.

I'm sorry. I'm going to Logic. You MOTU users should follow me there :mrgreen:

James, can I have my refund please? Don't forget the interest too :mrgreen:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.9.2 / DP 8.06
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Postby philbrown » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:54 am

There are 2 things I have been asking for for years for DP. Right click functionality throughout the program, and more importantly MIDI control ("attach MIDI controller") of virtually any parameter on the screen. Right-click functionality is present in just about every modern application I can think of and use, not just DAW's. It's been a common feature for years now that I use constantly and has really sped up my flow in the programs that have it - so much so that I subconciously right-click in DP expecting to be able to add or delete tracks, etc. "Oh, yeah I'm back in DP now and it doesn't have that feature..." I'm very surprised more people are not screaming for this common and extremely useful feature.

Attaching MIDI controllers to various parameters (not just pan and volume) is common in every other music program I use (Live, Numerology and Reason) and has been for quite some time. Numerology is written by ONE guy and has had this implemented since version 1. I see no mention of these things that I consider basic features in the DP 7 feature list - I only see features listed I don't care about personally.

The one other thing I had hoped for was MOTU really working out all the bugs in CD burning and making it bulletproof and 100% reliable. That was the one and only reason I bought DP6, which I don't currently use. I make my living doing audio and I could really use that feature but only if it is absolutely rock solid as my financial survival depends on it. From reports I have read it seems they got about 90% there and there it stands. I can't do 90% and my clients definitely won't. Maybe they have fixed this, who knows?

I LOVE DP (except the V6 GUI). I've used it for many many years professionally, set up a couple of other studios on it and have recommended and taught it to others. I HATE the idea of switching DAW's. MOTU can add all the guitar sims and geegaws they want - that's great to attract new users and that's a good thing. What I don't see is them listening to their present user base (well maybe they are as far as film scoring, which I'm not involved in). It doesn't seem that long ago folks here were screaming "NO NEW FEATURES - JUST FIX THE BUGS AND MAKE IT STABLE!" I wasn't one of those people, BTW. I have been asking for the above at every release for years now. And for those people who were screaming that, unless I missed something, I don't see any list of bug fixes for them, at least from the V7 writeup or even that there are any bug fixes in this release.

None of what I've written has anything to do with Tiger-Leopard-Snow Leopard, Intel vs PPC, AU spec issues, 3rd party developers etc etc etc. I'm asking for basic functionality found in nearly all of MOTU's competitors. My car analogy is "Doesn't every one of your competitors except you offer power windows standard at this price point?" "Yeah but you don't need power windows to get to work. Look at this hood scoop!" "You're completely missing my point..."

I'm not mad, just very disappointed.
Thanks for the bandwidth.
philbrown

Postby Mr. Quimper » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am

Well, there's a hidden contextual menu in the MW Leveler that MagicDave mentioned, so maybe that's a signal that they'll be heading in that direction for the rest of the app eventually?
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/12GB DDR3/10.6.8/DP 6.03,
AlphaTrack, Live 6, Komplete 5, Reason 3,
Kore 2, Various Kore Soundpacks, Max/MSP 4, EW Colossus, etc...
Mr. Quimper

Postby zed » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:04 pm

philbrown wrote:Right-click functionality is present in just about every modern application I can think of and use, not just DAW's. It's been a common feature for years now that I use constantly and has really sped up my flow in the programs that have it - so much so that I subconciously right-click in DP expecting to be able to add or delete tracks, etc...

I totally, TOTALLY agree with you here. I also submitted this request in my last big list of product suggestions early last year before DP6 came out.

But having said that, some of the other things I suggested appear to have materialized, including the ability to show the V-Rack and the regular Mixing board at the same time. Since we haven't actually seen DP7 yet, we don't know for sure that they haven't started to incorporate some contextual menus, but since we would think of that as a significant product enhancement, we would also expect MOTU to announce its presence.

I have a feeling it will show up very soon, though. That was a good rant, phil. We definitely need that feature!! :-)
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.6.2 | DP 7.12 | MOTU 2408 mk3 | Mytek Digital ADC | MIDIsport 4x4
zed

Postby sdfalk » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Plus another one for the right click functionality.
Hopefully that happens soon...
WAIT!! I'm supposed to be bitching...ummm
GARRRRRR!!! MOTHERFLUKER!!! etc etc..
I'm just looking forward to seeing it...
A New quad i7 mac mini and a Retina Macbook Pro 16gb of ram in each a ton of native plugins, and a
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments, with Final Cut ProX, DP, leave on the stove for awhile
A Uad 2 Apollo…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous Mountain Lion 10.8
sdfalk

Postby Michael Canavan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:44 pm

philbrown wrote:There are 2 things I have been asking for for years for DP. Right click functionality throughout the program, and more importantly MIDI control ("attach MIDI controller") of virtually any parameter on the screen.

AFA right click, I actually prefer to have all possible buttons on a mouse available to any key command of my choosing. In Logic 8 for instance they had some idea about right click that sucked. I changed it back to what I prefer on a right click which is zooming functions. In Logic zooming with the magnifying glass allows you to click drag zoom in then click no drag to zoom out. Anyway, even DPs version of zoom is useful enough to the way I work for me to have it there at all times.

Also, DP should really allow the end user the option in the Track Overview window to color cut, copy and paste MIDI like you can in Logic and Cubase. DP chunks MIDI together in a cluttered (IMO) looking way by bars etc. with it's odd overlapping shadows. This is my main gripe about DP, but generally this is posted and twenty odd old time users chime in about how markers are the way to go etc. <-----EVERY DAW has markers! :roll:
Mac Pro 8 core 2.66 24G RAM, RME fireface 800, Remote SL, DP8, Live 9 Suite. M53, Zebra, too many plug ins...
Michael Canavan

Postby FMiguelez » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Michael Canavan wrote:[...cut, copy and paste MIDI like you can in Logic and Cubase...

May I ask how this works differently there? Just curious.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.9.2 / DP 8.06
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Postby Michael Canavan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 am

FMiguelez wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:[...cut, copy and paste MIDI like you can in Logic and Cubase...

May I ask how this works differently there? Just curious.

In Logic or Cubase MIDI in the arrangement page (DP uses the Track Overview and the Sequence window for the arrange page functions), MIDI is treated as chunks of data that can be colored differently, and that are selectable as a chunk. So say you have a basic pop arrangement, well you can select all the first break without using markers, by simply clicking on the MIDI part, since its separate than the chorus it's not a matter of selecting between markers or zooming in to the bar etc.
In Logic or Live for instance it's possible to click drag select the whole chorus and option drag it to another part of the song lighting fast, in DP you must use and select with markers to get even close to the same effect, though of course Logic allows to work this way as well. It's another method that's universally used by almost every DAW out there, that DP doesn't do.
It would be cool to see it as an option, that way people that are opposed to it in some way can turn off that feature.
Mac Pro 8 core 2.66 24G RAM, RME fireface 800, Remote SL, DP8, Live 9 Suite. M53, Zebra, too many plug ins...
Michael Canavan

Postby James Steele » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 am

So MIDI "objects" basically? It would be nice. I don't have too much trouble marqueeing measures in the TO and moving them around, but I agree objects would be nice to have.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Next

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic