DP7 THE WISH LIST

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wurliuchi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP7 THE WISH LIST

Post by wurliuchi »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned:

The ability to click on any parameter in the mixer and have it display the automation for that parameter in the SE.

For example: ctrl+option click on a Send volume knob for the snare track and it will bring up the automation line for that parameter in the SE.

Please!
DP 6.03 • MacPro 2x3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon • 9 GB RAM • 10.5.7 • Prayers
csiaudio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

In's and out's being noted. On the Mixer it's the bottom is 'out' and in the Sequence the bottom is 'in' - very screwy.

Drawing in volume changes having the ability to 'lock' it to one tool instead of changing to the lasso and then the finger/pencil...drives me batty!

Make quantizing audio more simplistic.

Allow the adjustment of making the mixer wider so it will display more if not all of the plug in name that is in the insert. Two visual settings is not enough.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

csiaudio wrote:In's and out's being noted. On the Mixer it's the bottom is 'out' and in the Sequence the bottom is 'in' - very screwy.

Drawing in volume changes having the ability to 'lock' it to one tool instead of changing to the lasso and then the finger/pencil...drives me batty!

Make quantizing audio more simplistic.

Allow the adjustment of making the mixer wider so it will display more if not all of the plug in name that is in the insert. Two visual settings is not enough.
WOW +1

The in out difference drives me crazy.....
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
syntonica

Post by syntonica »

How about taking Unisyn off life support, rebuilding it with cyborg parts to make it a plug-in style VI instrument thingie and opening the macro language for it so that the more adventurous of us can add any MIDIfied hardware out there? Then, you can treat your hardware the same as any software plugin. That would be really nice.

Oh, and no more freaking incremental updates. If I have to reinstall the software, I don't want to download 325MB (like I just did) to reinstall DP one version at a time.

Other than that, just make it purtier and more better! :mrgreen:
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Logic Node clone - move the plug hosting to a separate process the same way that Safari isolated flash. If a plug crashes, it crashes alone. Maybe make each vrack its own process. Allow nodes to be on the local machine or other machines on the local network. This will keep a single plug from bringing down DP.

Arbitrarily nestable chunks. Why the false dichotomy between songs and chunks? Let me stick a chunk in a chunk.

Chunk playback queue - Vision had this. I used to create a verse chunk, chorus chunk, bridge chunk, maybe some alternate parts chunks, then I'd use Vision's type-to-queue feature to play them back in different orders to arrive at a song structure. Vision would label each new chunk with a letter. If I had chunks A,B,C - then typing ABACAB would queue up those chunks in that order and play them back sequentially.

Otherwise, just fix all the bugs we've reported.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

SixStringGeek wrote:Logic Node clone - move the plug hosting to a separate process the same way that Safari isolated flash. If a plug crashes, it crashes alone. Maybe make each vrack its own process. Allow nodes to be on the local machine or other machines on the local network. This will keep a single plug from bringing down DP.

Arbitrarily nestable chunks. Why the false dichotomy between songs and chunks? Let me stick a chunk in a chunk.

Chunk playback queue - Vision had this. I used to create a verse chunk, chorus chunk, bridge chunk, maybe some alternate parts chunks, then I'd use Vision's type-to-queue feature to play them back in different orders to arrive at a song structure. Vision would label each new chunk with a letter. If I had chunks A,B,C - then typing ABACAB would queue up those chunks in that order and play them back sequentially.

Otherwise, just fix all the bugs we've reported.
Surprisingly, some of these things already exist to some extent, though possibly none of them to the extent you're asking for. But just to show how close we really are, allow me to demonstrate:

Node Clone: Ok, V-Racks isn't what you asked for, but VSL got around the problem by creating this:

As you can see, I have 5 instances of VSL open, and each is occupying its own RAM space. I assume that since they are in their own RAM, they can crash independently, too, but I've not had one crash since Snow Leopard, so I wouldn't know how they behave. Vienna figured out how to do it easily enough. Seems like MOTU could make it a feature.

Arbitrarily nestable chunks: This we already have, but with a formatting limitation that's not difficult to work with. It just requires some awareness. Follow my steps here:

-Select some contiguous MIDI data or entire audio tracks:

-Drag it to the chunks window:

-A new chunk is created:

-(If necessary) Insert Blank Measures to the length of the new chunk.

-Drag new chunk to the blank measures, hovering the Chunk Icon over the track where you want the selection to go:

-DP will insert the chunk there on contiguous matching tracks:

You can experiment with the limitations of this. It's undocumented, perhaps, because it was never fully worked out. But the basics are there. It does create the chunks, and it does paste them in where you drag them.

Here is the biggest limitation: selected tracks must be contiguous. DP will ignore blank tracks in the selection. So, if you select data that has empty vertical spaces, it will just leave out those spaces and place the tracks with data together in order without the blank track.

-Selected non-contiguous tracks were used to make a chunk:

-Non Contiguous Tracks became contiguous in the Chunk. When Chunk is dropped in place, the tracks don't match, but are all squashed together:

This means you have to plan your moves, maybe fill in non-contiguous tracks with a place holder that you can remove later, or just move your tracks together. It's not hard to do with the keyboard command for gathering tracks together in the Tracks Overview Window: COMMAND-OPTION-HOME.

Audio is a different story. I'm not sure I completely understand the rules for dragging and dropping audio chunks, so I won't try to do it here. But I've actually done it with entire multiple audio tracks.

You can also drag to the Tracks Overview Window's track name list, and it will insert the chunk vertically among the other tracks wherever you dragged it, or down at the bottom. If you're dragging an entire sequence-turned-chunk, it will ask you if you want to merge or ignore the conductor track from the chunk being dropped-in, sort of like the Song Window.

Otherwise, just fix all the bugs we've reported: I think Snow Leopard did a lot of that! ;)

I know, I know, it's not exactly what you asked for. But it's something!

Shoosh

[EDIT] note: it may be a while before the screenshots appear. The iDisk server is convinced that it is uploading them, when in fact it isn't. I can't get it to cancel from here. Maybe after restarting the Mac. Anyway, they'll be there later. [/EDIT]

[2nd edit: no luck on uploading pictures to iDisk. The server on Apple's end will have to reset before it finally lets me reconnect.]

[Final Edit: After over 7 hours of trying, my iDisk finally managed to sync the screenshots in this post, only to find out that they are too big for the forum format, which was changed recently and no longer has the ability to hold wide graphics. If you want to see them, drag any screenshot to the URL bar to open it in a page of its own, or drag to the Finder. At this point I'm not going to try to replace them; I might NEVER get them loaded!]
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

DUAL 48 bit fixed point internal math for better precision ITB! The headroom could be improved by doing this IMHO.
I don't get as deep into the chunks thing as some of you guys do (I know a lot of people who use this for live performance) I just want a lean and clean audio engine for production & mixing.
I just like the feel and the layout of DP 5.13 (DP6's GUI esthetics throw me for a loop!) and being able to just get to what I need to is really the best thing to me.