Copyright Law? Are chords entitled to a songwriter's %?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
nvrsay
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Copyright Law? Are chords entitled to a songwriter's %?

Post by nvrsay »

Didn't read all the way through the many posts so ignore the questions about what wasn't explained in your original posts.
But my opinion is still the same, nothing in writing, you're out of luck. Give up the masters and move on, learn from this and
sign agreements with people in the future before you start working. If they hired you to engineer than just engineer, make them pay for studio
musicians. If their song sounds like crap that's their problem.
Good luck
Frank Z
Macbook Pro/M-Audio 410/2 GB/10.4.11/5.13/G4/2408 mkII
RadioFunHouse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RadioFunHouse »

Lyrics and melody are the basis for the copyright, in the absence of an agreement otherwise. If you want to be paid as a collaborator, I'd encourage you to go for it. But get it in writing up front.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

>I want to discuss this:
If a songwriter comes into my studio with words and a melody he sings, but does not know his chords, (usually hasn't even a clue as to the chords), and I have to write the chords, am I entitled to songwriter's for this?<

No, you are not entitled. I do not have to be a lawyer to know that.

Harmonizing or orchestrating someone else's melody has never been considered co-writing. You want one-third of the whole song just for supplying the correct chords? No.

You are entitled to be well-paid for your arrangement but, based on your question, arranging is all you are doing - and not much at that. Actually, if taking down the melody, lyrics and supplying chords is all, you are really transcribing, not arranging.

If the producer cannot pay the going rates for your arrangement, you could ask to be listed on the Copyright certificate and cue sheets as a co-writer (25% share of the music portion only is normal) so that you might see some royalties for your work. To be clear, the lyric is 50% of the song - you would ask for 25% of what is left. If it is a transcription, only the most broke or most generous producer would agree even to that.

You should be paid for your work. This kind of work is paid a) by the half hour of your time b) by the minute or fraction thereof for the completed work c) a flat fee for the piece or d) per page of the lead sheet . You should always have a minimum in any case and it should include you writing out a lead sheet. My minimum is $300 + $50 per page.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro