Losing work as a benefit?

Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory, etc...

Moderators: Frodo, FMiguelez, MIDI Life Crisis

Forum rules
Discussions about composing, arranging, orchestration, songwriting, theory and the art of creating music in all forms from orchestral film scores to pop/rock.
Mr. Quimper
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Losing work as a benefit?

Post by Mr. Quimper »

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but have you ever had an instance of lost work proving to be beneficial in the end? I lost a significant amount of work a few days ago from YET ANOTHER corrupted DP file. Luckily I had made one backup but it was from a version 2-days earlier. There were a lot of musical ideas that I could remember in my head but that weren't coming out to the level that I had remembered in my attempts at recreation.

Finally, I gave up at recreating precisely what I had done before and tried just responding to what I had recovered and attempted to create something new to accompany it. Ultimately, the new results and decisions I made in response to them were largely superior to those I had remembered.

Has this happened to you in the past and do you think that it might be useful to occasionally abandon what you think is a successful direction towards uncharted/uncertain waters that might prove even more successful in the end?
2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Losing work as a benefit?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Mr. Quimper wrote:...do you think that it might be useful to occasionally abandon what you think is a successful direction towards uncharted/uncertain waters that might prove even more successful in the end?
You've just defined why I haven't had writer's block in about 25 years. I friend (an average writer of short stories but a very interesting person) said that writer's block is caused by trying to redo what has worked in the past. The solution is to try something completely different and all of a sudden you see the problem - at least that works for me.

But yes, it has also happened to me that I've either lost a file or and instrument or whatever and the second stab was superior. Rarely was the first "better" and I think that is because we tend to continue processing and when we are in a critical situation, our brain works very differently than we are in our comfort zones.

That'll be 2 cents please. Oh wait, I owe you 2 cents!

Here you go...

Never noticed the bow-tie before!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

One thing few of us ever get is a second chance.

That you were able togo back and improve upon a project is rare and wonderful. It's all a matter of perspective. Even what seems fine to us at the time reflects the maturity "of that time". Come back to it a year later-- or a month later-- a week later-- or even a day later-- and it can be a whole different checker game.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yikes... that's sort of the ultimate "it's not a bug, it's a feature" sort of thing. I guess sometimes life gives you lemon and you make better lemonade, but still... I dunno. Reminded me of this gem from years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TSWnR1LdnA
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Frodo wrote:One thing few of us ever get is a second chance.

That you were able togo back and improve upon a project is rare and wonderful...
Funny thing, Frodo, those Chaplin filcks I did in 1988-89 were re-released in 1995 and I was asked to revisit the scores with the new improved equipment available, then asked to orchestrate them in 1996 for a "real" orchestra," and again in 1997 & 1999 (for two different ensembles) and again in 2006 for the CSO. So while it is certainly rare to be able to re-visit a work, it can also be a sort of curse.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Frodo wrote:One thing few of us ever get is a second chance.

That you were able togo back and improve upon a project is rare and wonderful...
Funny thing, Frodo, those Chaplin filcks I did in 1988-89 were re-released in 1995 and I was asked to revisit the scores with the new improved equipment available, then asked to orchestrate them in 1996 for a "real" orchestra," and again in 1997 & 1999 (for two different ensembles) and again in 2006 for the CSO. So while it is certainly rare to be able to re-visit a work, it can also be a sort of curse.

Ah-- so, THAT'S how that transpired. I was wondering.

Yes-- that second chance. What a blessing.

A curse? Were you not happy with the revisit?
MIDI Life Crisis

Frodo wrote: A curse? Were you not happy with the revisit?
Not at all, but I prefer challenging new work, meself.

(Are you sure you didn't hire those 2 women last night? THe timing was just too coincidental at 2:27AM...) :)

(That'll get 'em thinking around here!)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Frodo wrote: A curse? Were you not happy with the revisit?
Not at all, but I prefer challenging new work, meself.

(Are you sure you didn't hire those 2 women last night? THe timing was just too coincidental at 2:27AM...) :)

(That'll get 'em thinking around here!)

Maybe they weren't "pancakes" but "flapjackies" instead... :shock:
Dude-- I remember this!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I felt sorry for the guy for a lot of reasons-- mostly because he didn't know how to protect himself and needed someone to blame. "The past few years..."? That was in the day before people understood that hard drives were not permanent, no matter what they cost.