FIX: Running Motu FW devices in XP SP2, SP3

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
dobermannen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: FIX: Running Motu FW devices in XP SP2, SP3

Post by dobermannen »

Thank you for a great forum, lots of helpful stuff here.

Anyway, I followed your guide (and verified/confirmed every step of the way) but my 828mk3 still isn't getting detected. Guess I have to rma it after all, my unit worked for 2 weeks and suddenly decided not to play with me anymore after experiencing HDD failure. Your guide is great since it have helped so many people so I wish to thank you anyway.

- Daniel
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Hmmmm, hard drive failure you say. I would be willing to bet that if you go through your registry and delete (carefully) all MOTU entries that you could get your computer to recognize it again. Likewise, try using the other FW400 port on the back of your MOTU which may also get the computer to recognize it.

Basically MOTU hardware (and any hardware for that matter) installs a crap-load of stuff in your registry (hundreds of entries) when you install something new. But the problem is that MOTU drivers install with the delicacy of a shrapnel grenade. •••• ends up everywhere, and unless you get every little piece out your attempts at reinstalling will likely never be fully effective.

A point of advice: if you decide to reformat your whole system, then create a drive image of your operating system disk so that you can restore back within a few minutes, instead of hours. It will make trouble shooting - especially with MOTU stuff - a lot less painful.
Mike Rocha
http://www.mikerocha.ca
Custom ADK, Quad 3.0ghz, 4gig ram, Win7 64-bit, Motu 3.6.7.3 x64 drivers
Macbook Pro 13" touchbar, High Sierra, 73220 drivers
Motu 896 x 4
dobermannen

Post by dobermannen »

TheRealRoach wrote:Hmmmm, hard drive failure you say. I would be willing to bet that if you go through your registry and delete (carefully) all MOTU entries that you could get your computer to recognize it again. Likewise, try using the other FW400 port on the back of your MOTU which may also get the computer to recognize it.

Basically MOTU hardware (and any hardware for that matter) installs a crap-load of stuff in your registry (hundreds of entries) when you install something new. But the problem is that MOTU drivers install with the delicacy of a shrapnel grenade. •••• ends up everywhere, and unless you get every little piece out your attempts at reinstalling will likely never be fully effective.

A point of advice: if you decide to reformat your whole system, then create a drive image of your operating system disk so that you can restore back within a few minutes, instead of hours. It will make trouble shooting - especially with MOTU stuff - a lot less painful.
Thank you for replying so fast.

Now, how do I do that? I've already tried doing it manually by using Regedit, problem is it won't let me delete all keys. Almost like if some of them are protected somehow. Installed TweakNow's RegCleaner and examined what options it had - in case I could search for keys - i.e. customizing my search.. but no luck there either. Also, do I look for keys which contains the word MOTU only or do I want to delete a bunch of other stuff as well?

Thank you again.
- Daniel
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

I forgot to mention that you should uninstall your MOTU drivers first before doing any registry editing. This might be the reason why some keys are protected.

In any case, yeah, you should search for anything with MOTU, or Motu Firewire, or MFWA or some variation of that. If you're not sure though, don't delete it!
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
dobermannen

Post by dobermannen »

TheRealRoach wrote:I forgot to mention that you should uninstall your MOTU drivers first before doing any registry editing. This might be the reason why some keys are protected.

In any case, yeah, you should search for anything with MOTU, or Motu Firewire, or MFWA or some variation of that. If you're not sure though, don't delete it!
I had my card laying for almost 3 months until yesterday when I decided to have another go. Luckily the MOTU drivers creates a system restore point so I solved my registry problem within 10 minutes. Saved me a s**tload of work obviously, its nice when somethings works out the way you want it. hehe

Anyway, my registry is clean now but I am puzzled since I've read about 3-4 different installation procedures in several forums. Could you point me in the right direction here?

Thanx.

- Daniel
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Refer to step [1.5.3] thru to [1.7] in the original post of this thread. Following those half-dozen steps is the method that i recommend. Good luck! Restore points can be a life saver. Still recommend imaging the whole drive though. even better.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
bazz

Post by bazz »

hi: i was one of the fooled that 2 interfaces will work sidechained .
i have maudio 2626 , ada8000 ,828 mk2 and 8 pre.
i was dreaming to put the 828 and the 8pre chained and connected to the other units in adat mode. that would bring me some nice setup. (and finally expand mi little studio building with a new room. )
what a nightmare, they didn't work , motu tech support in this time didn't help(also the 2 motu units where defectives but where replaced for new ones)
and i just find this interesting workaround . omfg
i will try it tonight
if its works i will paypal some beers !!!
crossing fingers and will report back
if dont work ,What the heck?,i still can record 24tracks
thx
bazz

Post by bazz »

not worked :oops:
thx anyway !
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Check out this thread as well:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=34558

What OS are you using?
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
bazz

Post by bazz »

after a new reinstall and removed a bad memory .
it worked rock solid
at 64 buffer and no gliches.
lol i can put it in 32 .. but didnt work
i feel that the sistem is more stable finnaly
if i boot the pc with the units powered i experience some glitches just until the system is loaded fully and then dissapear .
also i made some testing up and down the buffers and the samplerates and in some cases they start to make strange things.. but didnt have the blue screen again and if i work in 44.1/24 and not move for here the asio drivers seems to work for first time like they should.
i will test more deeply( real work)
1nput0utput
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by 1nput0utput »

cborresen wrote:I have a setup question. I'm running a single 8pre as an interface and preamp for microphones on my acoustic drums. I am using Cakewalk Home Studio 7 as my DAW. I open up CueMix and see all of the mics getting a signal. In HS7, I have switched to ASIO and when I try to line up each track with its 8pre channel (select input/output), I only see options for 1, 3, 5, and 7 (R/L/stereo option for each). Why do I not see 1–8?

I'm running an older P4 processor with 1.5 GB DDR RAM. I also have an older Creative Audigy2 sound card installed. I have updated drivers (Cakewalk, MOTU CueMix, MOTU Window Firewire) as of yesterday (7/8/09) except for the Audigy card (no updated drivers since March - I have the latest). My presumption is that I'm missing a key check box somewhere in the HS7 software to treat each track as a separate, mono channel matching the CueMix output.

Any suggestions?
This came up recently in another thread. It's about Sonar, but I'd assume that it's applicable to other Cakewalk products that use ASIO.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 13#p302013
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
cborresen

Post by cborresen »

Got it - that makes sense, but why not just allow for 1-8? I did set it up with 1R and 1L being tracks 1 and 2 in SONAR, but I think Cakewalk was grouping the pairs together even though they were separate tracks. I'll do more testing tonight.
k13

Post by k13 »

guys im having the same problem on my sp3 xp pro. buzzing noise cracking and poping its unbareable. how do i resolve it ?

thanks.
TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

Read the first post of this thread.
Mike Rocha
Motu 896 x 4
renaud

Post by renaud »

Hello TheRealRoach

I'm currently trying your fix, and have managed to delete all the 1394 files.
I have the "new hardware window" but can't install the sp1 driver without the .inf file.
The link you gave to Bridgy don't seems to work anymore.
If you or someone could give me a new link for the sp1 1394 drivers or explain me how to do it from a XP SP1 CD, it would help me to test this for my 896hd and 8pre.

Thank you for your great work on this problem.