The New Metric Halo ULN-8 ... better than my Traveler? :)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MartinBaird
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The New Metric Halo ULN-8 ... better than my Traveler? :)

Post by MartinBaird »

I'm a SpectraFoo and ChannelStrip license owner/user. I guess that's why they sent the coupon.
MB
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
BobK

Post by BobK »

Yes, the offer appears to be for registered owners of other MH products. I'm the registered owner of two 2882s and two Channel Strip licenses, and I received the coupon too.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
BobK

Post by BobK »

I couldn't resist. I'd been thinking about getting a ULN-2 at some point, so I could have a couple of high-end pres in my rig (high gain, low noise, high headroom). With the discount coupon I realized if I sold one of my 2882s and added the cost of a ULN-2, I'd have almost enough to cover the ULN-8. With MH's generous 30-day money-back return policy, I figured I have nothing to lose (except shipping charges), so I took the plunge.

I was impressed with the rave reviews of the beta testers, while at the same time having a healthy bit of skepticism - I need to hear it for myself. Still, I figure If it's HALF as good as these guys say it is, it'll be worth it. Several of them say that the ULN-8 pres are so good, they've sold their Millennias and other high-end gear.

With the discount coupon, you could consider that you're paying $500 per mic pre for the ULN-8. In the area of boutique pres - which is where MH intends this box to compete - that's not terribly expensive. For comparison, Millennias cost about $1,800 for 2 channels, about $3k for four channels, and about $5k for 8 channels - and none of these include conversion. The ULN-8 includes what MH claims is world-class conversion (both AD and DA), serious DSP and mixing power, and incredibly flexible routing, not to mention their rock-solid little recording app, Record Panel (which I recently used to track live concerts for a prominent jazz group's upcoming CD).

Since it's such a big expense, and since I'm generally skeptical when it comes to high-end gear, I'm filled with trepidation as well as excitement. Will it really make a difference in the work I do? Enough to justify the expense? I'll see next month, when it arrives.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Chao

Post by Chao »

I have ULN2 and used to have a 828 and still have a 1296 which has not been used for years.... Metric Halo's products are WAY MUCH BETTER than MOTU. It's silly to compare them. They are not even in the same league, even Metric Halo sets their price relative low. MOTU's audio interfaces should be compared to Presonus or mid-range DigiDesign's.

In fact, I have compared ULN2's preamp to Avalon AD2022. Avalon is slightly warmer. They both are supper clean, fast and transparent. I also compared the AD to Lavry Blue AD. ULN2 is very very close. Here is a live recording of my solo cello piece's first movement recording. I only used ULN2 and AKG 480s.

Metric Halo ULN2 audio example (256bit MP3):
http://www.cjchang.org/podcast/SoloCell ... Flying.mp3 (Chao-Jan Chang/張超然, Copyright 2009)

The driver of Metric Halo's is also ultra stable, not to mention the CP's matrix, 80 bit mixer and the powerful DSP. And Metric Halo's support is the best I have seen. They even replied emails on Sunday night! MOTU?? Try to call them. You will know. Anyway, I am thinking about selling the ULN2 (probably will keep it for locational recording) and Lavry Blue ADs to buy the new ULN8.
Newest Studio Recording, my solo cello composition: http://www.cjchang.org/website/music_4moods.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Composer Chao-Jan Chang's website: http://www.cjchang.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Umbrella

Post by Umbrella »

cloudsplitter wrote:It's just not worth that kind of money...not even close....I don't care if you saw Jesus when you powered it up..it' NOT worth it....BTW, I love my traveler..hasn't failed me yet. I just can't believe those thieves trying to fleece us for a silly interface...they should be ashamed of themselves.
Metric Halo? Thieves? :D I'd say this is probably thee best deal in a high end 8 channel pre/converter/interface available ever/anywhere.. Thieves they are not.