Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Plug-In for Mixing in Headphones

Post by Spikey Horse »

Thanks for the heads up James, this is great.

It certainly makes working with my trusty DT 770 headphones much more of a pleasant and (subjectively at least after just 10 mins) natural experience. That's a good enough reason to buy it for me as I'm using headphones/ macbook a lot at the moment. Wow - when I bypass it my ears really cringe.

I'll be forced to buy this plug when the demo runs out I'm sure but did someone mention alternatives? I've never used a monitor simulator plug before.
content is the new style
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Timeline »

So I guess you put this in the last slot of the master fader and disable it when your ready to bounce your mix, is that the drill?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

After 30 minutes, using 75 degrees, I found the placement better, and the centre is better defined, a difference there. But I can't get any get anything out of the distance control. At any distance, the sound is still very definitely coming from inside my head. I tried hard, but just can't convince myself it's coming from in front of me. (Using Senn HD 650)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

it works it's great... I will be spending the $69. April 21 the special ends... make sure you buy before then if you want to save the $30
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Timeline wrote:So I guess you put this in the last slot of the master fader and disable it when your ready to bounce your mix, is that the drill?
Unless you're mixing for iPods.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Spikey Horse wrote:Thanks for the heads up James, this is great.

It certainly makes working with my trusty DT 770 headphones much more of a pleasant and (subjectively at least after just 10 mins) natural experience. That's a good enough reason to buy it for me as I'm using headphones/ macbook a lot at the moment. Wow - when I bypass it my ears really cringe.

I'll be forced to buy this plug when the demo runs out I'm sure but did someone mention alternatives? I've never used a monitor simulator plug before.
Woah... now I gotta try it. I think I have the same cans... the Beyerdynamic DT770... mine feel very bass-y though. :( I'm gonna install and try this sucka out right now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

You guys are killing me!!

It's 12:25 AM (or is it 1:25 AM????)-- this is prime mixing time, and speakers are out of the question at this hour.

But it's starting to sound like I'm going to be out $70 shortly.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

James Steele wrote:Woah... now I gotta try it. I think I have the same cans... the Beyerdynamic DT770... mine feel very bass-y though. :( .......
Yes those are the ones ;)

They may be bassy but I've always liked them .... maybe because they are bassy (?) as I mainly use for tracking at reasonably loud levels yet they never sound harsh or uncomfortable even after a long session. Also they don't sound boxy like other closed designs can (no pun intended) and they've lasted 10 years and were relatively cheap anyway.

Definitely a new lease of life with this plug though.
content is the new style
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I tried it. It really messes with your sound bravado and sounds like crap when in circuit but I guess it's got to do that.
I would rather wait for a hardware version with a front in-out switch or for a time to mix when I can use my Adam 2.5A's.

Usually when I can at least start a mix on the monitors, touching up levels on a pair of known cans is fine.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
trevorallan

Post by trevorallan »

Haven't tried it yet but have had the demo waiting on my laptop for a while:

Canz3D
http://www.midnightwalrus.com/Canz3D

Wondering how it compares..
dj! (112dB)

Post by dj! (112dB) »

Hi guys,

it's dj! of 112dB here. Just to say thanks for your interest and add a few comments:
RecordingArts wrote:Before you insert the Redline monitor in your master channel for the first time TURN YOU VOLUME DOWN! It emits a very ungodly sound until you load the license file, which to me is so unnecessary.
That is entirely unnecessary and in fact not intended--it definitely shdn't do that. Could you tell me in what host/OS this happens so I can fix this? I can't seem to make it happen here.
James Steele wrote:I haven't installed it yet and am not by my computer, but they seem to have some sort of UAD-type thing where you load the authorization file to enable the plug for either the demo period or for good I assume.
Correct. All 112dB products use simple license files that enable a plugin for a given time period, or infinitely in case of a registered user. Licenses are not challenge/response and not tied to hardware or OS or what have you. I don't see why a paying customer shd be made to jump through burning hoops just because (s)he bought a new audio interface. :)
bayswater wrote:But I can't get any get anything out of the distance control. At any distance, the sound is still very definitely coming from inside my head.
The Distance control uses HRTF (feel free to ask) to simulate the filtering effect of your ears' pinnae, but because of their very individual nature the effect is much more pronounced for some people than for others. We're aware of this and are planning a much more elaborate and customizable implementation for Redline Monitor 2, so stay tuned.
Timeline wrote:I tried it. It really messes with your sound bravado and sounds like crap when in circuit but I guess it's got to do that.
Try setting the Distance to Off (all the way counter clockwise, the knob will become transparent). At that setting the frequency response is +/- 0.1dB over the entire audio spectrum.

Thanks & feel free to ask in case of any questions or comments,

-- dj!
Image Image
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

trevorallan wrote:Haven't tried it yet but have had the demo waiting on my laptop for a while:

Canz3D
http://www.midnightwalrus.com/Canz3D

Wondering how it compares..
The big room setting alone is worth the 10 bucks for Cans3D. I'm buyin it.

As for my real cans... 112 seems to be pretty worked out. Will experiment as advised.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dj! (112dB) wrote:
bayswater wrote:But I can't get any get anything out of the distance control. At any distance, the sound is still very definitely coming from inside my head.
The Distance control uses HRTF (feel free to ask) to simulate the filtering effect of your ears' pinnae, but because of their very individual nature the effect is much more pronounced for some people than for others. We're aware of this and are planning a much more elaborate and customizable implementation for Redline Monitor 2, so stay tuned.
Thanks, I guess I have unusual ears. That would explain a few things. HRTF = Head Related Transfer Function? Great -- my whole head is unusual.

I also got the ungodly noise. OS, etc is in my signature.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Interesting quirk: the DP's Bypass mode doesn't seem to bypass Redline Monitor. The only way I can bypass it is by clicking on the headphones on the plugin GUI.

Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but I had my first random quit in DP 6.02 this morning while using Redline. But there could have been a number of causes for it, including the fact that I was booting Safari and clicking in my menu bar to go to this forum. That's when I saw DP disappear from the background.

The difference is not an astounding one, and if you're used to your headphones, you may not at first like the mix you hear, but it IS closer to the sound of my speakers. I really do like my headphones, though: Sony 7509. I'm going to try Canz, too. Although I went ahead and bought Redline Monitor, I suggest trying it for a while and seeing if you think it's making the difference you need. Remember, the point is not to enhance the sound, but to make it more natural. When you're accustomed to using headphones, that DOES sound natural, and this will not. But I can already hear where I need to improve my mix, so I think it was worth the cost. If Canz does the same thing for $10, then that would obviously be the better deal, but I'm not sure Canz will leave the sound uncolored. (haven't tried Canz yet)

I'll try to give more results later, but for now it seems to be doing what I want.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Interesting quirk: the DP's Bypass mode doesn't seem to bypass Redline Monitor.

... I had my first random quit in DP 6.02 this morning while using Redline.

The difference is not an astounding one ...

Shooshie
Same thing here. Bypass does not seem to do anything. Also had my first unexpected quit with 6.0x a couple of minutes after adding Redline. Maybe not a coincidence.