Dp 6.02: Movie Window crash

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
nadeama
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dp 6.02: Movie Window crash

Post by nadeama »

Hi,

I just tried doing a search on this and found nothing, but my apologies if this has been covered in one of the DP 6.02 threads and I missed it.

Just wondering if anyone could try this before I report it to MOTU as a bug:

*** It seems you have to use a dual display setup in order to reproduce this.

1- Create a new project
2- Open a Movie Window
3- Drag the Movie WIndow to your second display

Does anyone else get a DP crash when doing this? I can reproduce this 100% of the time, even after deleting all preferences. This wasn't happening in previous DP versions.

Thanks for your help!
Martin Nadeau
Mac Pro 8-core, Mac OS 10.5.6, DP 6.02, MIDI Express XT USB, MOTU 2408, MOTU 308
bdr

Re: Dp 6.02: Movie Window crash

Post by bdr »

Hi Martin

has been mentioned here before

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... sh#p269468
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
scooter

Post by scooter »

That's weird because my QT movie always comes up on my 2nd display. I've never once had to drag it from my main monitor to the 2nd monitor. Lucky I guess.

scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

The thread linked by bdr solved that issue for me. It´s all got to do with video formats, and it´s explained very well.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
nadeama

Post by nadeama »

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I just tried converting a movie to DV format and I don't get the crash anymore. I guess I had always been using DV format in the past because I don't remember seeing this before.

Anyway, I'm happy now. Thanks again. :)
Martin Nadeau
Mac Pro 8-core, Mac OS 10.5.6, DP 6.02, MIDI Express XT USB, MOTU 2408, MOTU 308
Mr_Clifford

Post by Mr_Clifford »

nadeama wrote:Thanks for the link to the other thread. I just tried converting a movie to DV format and I don't get the crash anymore. I guess I had always been using DV format in the past because I don't remember seeing this before.
What codec were you using before? I generally use Motion J-Peg A and I don't have any problems viewing it on my second monitor.
DP 9.52 Mac Pro 10.14.6 RME fireface800. Sibelius. Dorico 4
jpiscitello
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jpiscitello »

I don't have that, but I do have this crash:

- Have a multi-sequence file.
- Choose a movie file for one sequence and set to "Same movie for all sequences".
- Switch to a different sequence.
- Now change the movie file (sometimes I do this like say I need to compress the movie a little for performance, or replace its audio track and I do it in a different saved-as move file).
- Switch back to the first sequence.

I've gotten a long beach ball followed by a crash in this scenario multiple times, both in 5.13 and 6.02.

This has happened even if I have saved the file and reopened it after switching the movie file.

The fix is to remove the "Same movie for all sequences" option, and close the movie, and *then* switch to the original sequence. Then re-add the movie, put it back on "Same movie for all..." and you are ok from there.